all state picks

Guest BIGRUSN

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in another thread, but i feel it's appropriate here too.

The all state selections always get people frenzied up because they have opinions and feelings that get hurt, but all state isn't some thrown together all-star team where each team gets a representative they feel is GOOD. It's the BEST line of each position in the state nominated by their coaches and voted on by all coaches and refs. If the 3 BEST of one position are on one team, so be it. If one team has no one, so be it. There's been instances where one team had as many as 5 first team players, not because of some bias, but because the were the BEST at their particular position as voted on by the coaches and refs. Some coaches don't even nominate a single player, some teams nominate all of their starters. Skinner is a good, athletic player, but is he one of the 3 best middies in the state? I don't think so. Brakebill and Sawyer are locks, and I think Crumbo would be my next pick. Skinner might be my face off guy, but I think Clint would probably pick that up too. I think Regan earned his spot, but goalie is definitely the hardest position to pick. I would also argue that Caroland or Gillespie should have made the first team, but bottom line is the coaches and refs see the most games and the most playes the most number of times, and usually do a good job picking out the BEST at each position. Some players or teammates might think someone is on there who shouldn't be or isn't on there that should be, but they don't have as good of a view of the big picture as those who vote. I'd say each year, the all-state teams are fairly accurate and I think this team is well picked.

Edited by Redtwin

you asked who was shafted and i simply voiced my opinion. i think that cupo kid from mccallie was better than brittingham also. brittingham was good at getting ground balls but never seemed to possess the game breaking ability that caroland had and cupo as well. gibson, burns, and caroland were the best attackmen this year followed by gillepsie, cupo, and then brittingham.

you asked who was shafted and i simply voiced my opinion. i think that cupo kid from mccallie was better than brittingham also. brittingham was good at getting ground balls but never seemed to possess the game breaking ability that caroland had and cupo as well. gibson, burns, and caroland were the best attackmen this year followed by gillepsie, cupo, and then brittingham.

I agree, Caroland is a great player, he just needs to learn to be more selfish with the ball and take some more rips, hes got a great shot. I think he should have definitely been on first team all-state. Gillespie also had a great year and could easily be up there.

All you ever talk about is MBA.  open your eyes to other teams my friend.

That's quite possibly the most hypocritical thing I've ever heard. Every post from you Bigrusn is a biased, meritless praise of your own teammates. You claim that nearly every player for USN is one of the best in state, be it at goalie, defense, or midfield. If these guys were really that good wouldn't somebody else be talking about them? Nothing against Brittingham though, he is pretty good.

Edited by actionjackson19

i think the board did a good job of nut just judging teams from their stats on paper. ryan burns is a great player, but his stats are a little inflated considering they only played 2 teams out of the region, those teams being very mediocre and/or new programs. plus at mccallie, we take the starters out as soon as possible to keep thier fresh legs, coach kemp isn't about running up the scores. he even told us that coacht was for "jokas"(jokers). from what i saw, burns and caroland etc. would stay in for a majority of the games, no matter what the scores were in the 4th. but even so, ive heard that burns is a humble guy and a team player so nothing against him.

Guest BIGRUSN
All anyone ever talks about is their own team. Just don't make it a big deal.

i can deal with that. Its hard to be un-biased with such a little number of teams in tennessee

I also think Caroland is better than Brittingham, but Brittingham is very talented so you can't get too worked up about that considering Caroland missed some games with an injury. Cooke on CBHS deserved better and some guys were left out of 2nd team and honorable mention spots who I think deserved it. Not to be a jerk, but some Webb guys were on the list that didn't deserve it (HM"S). I also would have put Rainer over Baucom and the other Grapski from Farragut(HM) on 2nd team. I wouldn't have put MBA's middies on first because I wasn't impressed at all. Skinner should have gotten HM.

Keep in mind this is just an opinion.

Edited by Imrightyourewrong