weight lifting

baylaredraydaz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things that high school lacrosse players definately don't do enough of are cleans and squats

Well said redtwin, like mccallie's strength coach says your arms are for show, but your legs make the dough

Theres no way any players should focus on one part of the body more than the other, you gotta squat and do it like lil jon says, "get low"

baylaredraydaz Posted on May 18 2004 - 10:03 PM

tnlax, do you/did you know charlie ramsay back in the day?

Yea, I went to elementary school with him, and played with him in 8th and 9th grade. He was pretty good, but I guess tennis was his thing.

Well i work out usually about 5 days a week over here at maryville and one thing i dont see on this board is how your work outs are paying off for you....i am close to benching 290, squating 405, and power cleaning 235....Oh yea forgot to mention that i weigh 160 lbs :D

I really like lunges for lax because it helps with balance as well as strength. Close grip bench is also good because it's similar to pushing off on defense. Incline bench helps for the same reason. Forearm exercise can really help your game too. I would encourage shoulder raises and shrugs to prevent injuries also.

it doesn't take that long to get your workout in. i play football as well as lacrosse (lacrosse is better). one day you do upper body and the next your do lower-- four days a week so that you won't exaust yourself. it takes about 30 min after practice to get your reps in. i think it would definately improve the level of play in tennessee if players got in the weightroom more often. defense should abviously focus on everything-- they need to be strong. attack- more upper body and abs for faster, more powerful shots. middies- same as attack but probably more legs than the attack for all the running. i can't really think of a good reason for goalies to work out. i guess legs in order to make their steps easier. just some thoughts... i think the level of play would kick up a few notches if players were stronger.

The thing you said about goalies not working out, I think is completely off. Goalies need to be able to be very quick and attack the ball with force as well. Strength, can vastly improve quickness and such, especially a quick step, from power and hanging cleans and squats like redtwin was talking about. Over all strength is a huge deal in almost every sport and can improve your game. Get in the weightroom!!

Well i work out usually about 5 days a week over here at maryville and one thing i dont see on this board is how your work outs are paying off for you....i am close to benching 290, squating 405, and power cleaning 235....Oh yea forgot to mention that i weigh 160 lbs :D

yea..... i work out about 4 days a week and am close to benching 291,squatting 406, and power cleaning 236..... oh yea, for those of you who dont know, i only wiegh 159.... uh huh