BEST RUNNING BACKS IN TSSAA HISTORY

briarcrest23

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the best backs i ever saw was adam tipps of CPA only b/c he had no speed, no size, or any of the talents most great backs have, but he always found a way to gain yardage. I believe he was a mr. football awrd winner too.

now looking at the best backs to ever come out of Tn my list is so

Travis Stewart and Fred Lane...NFL says most of it.

stats wise you gotta go with Troy Fleming, but then again mostly all those yards were in single A.

Ralph King. His stats were in 5A so i see him being purdy darn good.

Kirsten Biggers...anyone who saw him play will say he was awesome at the highschool level.

Kurston Biggers scored a touchdown every other time he touched the ball, whether it be kick returns or rushes.

The 1996 BA stable was the greatest high school backfield I have ever seen. All-Americans in Biggers and FB Tito Lee, and one of the fastest men in BA history in HB Hunter Atkins (very elusive, also scored frequently). Atkins was heavily recruited (mainly for Track) until tearing his ACL against Columbia Central his senior year...he still walked on at Auburn.

BA would have been a wishbone team w/ All-american Austin Kemp at QB, but they decided instead to use Kemp at TE/LB and put Lance Phillips at QB because he had a rocket arm and BA had dynamite receivers in Ryan Huskey and Bo Clift (also the kicker).

Anyway, back to the subject at hand...one of the best backs I've seen play is Clarksville Northeast/Tennessee HB Travis Stephens. In the 1995 BA-Northeast classic 5A Quarters showdown, Stephens carried the NE offense. Even though they couldn't scape the endzone paint (BA won 7-3), he got them close on several occasions.

one of the best backs i ever saw was adam tipps of CPA only b/c he had no speed, no size, or any of the talents most great backs have, but he always found a way to gain yardage. I believe he was a mr. football awrd winner too.

stats wise you gotta go with Troy Fleming, but then again mostly all those yards were in single A.

Kirsten Biggers...anyone who saw him play will say he was awesome at the highschool level.

Kurston Biggers scored a touchdown every other time he touched the ball, whether it be kick returns or rushes.

The 1996 BA stable was the greatest high school backfield I have ever seen. All-Americans in Biggers and FB Tito Lee, and one of the fastest men in BA history in HB Hunter Atkins (very elusive, also scored frequently). Atkins was heavily recruited (mainly for Track) until tearing his ACL against Columbia Central his senior year...he still walked on at Auburn.

BA would have been a wishbone team w/ All-american Austin Kemp at QB, but they decided instead to use Kemp at TE/LB and put Lance Phillips at QB because he had a rocket arm and BA had dynamite receivers in Ryan Huskey and Bo Clift (also the kicker).

Anyway, back to the subject at hand...one of the best backs I've seen play is Clarksville Northeast/Tennessee HB Travis Stephens. In the 1995 BA-Northeast classic 5A Quarters showdown, Stephens carried the NE offense. Even though they couldn't scape the endzone paint (BA won 7-3), he got them close on several occasions.

I played against the 96' BA team in the semi's(mud bowl)...Kurston and Tito were both studs....I'd say that was the second best team i ever played against.

I played against the 96' BA team in the semi's(mud bowl)...Kurston and Tito were both studs....I'd say that was the second best team i ever played against.

Sneaky, that was a classic game. I thought you guys had us when you returned the opening punt for a touchdown.

Well, you begged the question out of me...if that BA team was the second best you played against, who was the best?

Sneaky, that was a classic game. I thought you guys had us when you returned the opening punt for a touchdown.

Well, you begged the question out of me...if that BA team was the second best you played against, who was the best?

94' Riverdale but not by much

Ah, another classic team. That must've been a heck of a game, too. :D

Ah, another classic team. That must've been a heck of a game, too. 

It was a great game but a very painful loss 14-10....so you can imagine the bullets we were sweating when Riverdale got the ball back with a chance to win it all this past season. Another 14-10 loss to Rverdale in Finals would have been to much.

People this is not about the rest of the team...  THis one is all about the best running backs in state history..  Still is Troy Fleming...  Totaled the most yards in one single season and then Gerald Riggs...

Thanks, thread police! :D

It's easy to get me off subject when talking about my Eagles...but since they had 3 great running backs, it was easy for the topic to drift a bit.

Fleming was devastating, and Riggs was a beast -- he didn't impress me against BA his sophomore year (a 38-6 BA win), but he was a big factor in Red Bank's 34-7 conquest of BA his junior campaign.

Edited by WesVols