Best QB in recent years 5a only

BigWesHall

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shane Kelley is not the only QB who has shined as Sevier County; if my memory serves me correctly, the following year in 2000 Angelo Raga of Sevier County set numerous passing records in the big east; and the records he broke were that of Joey Matthews who starred for Sevier County in 1997 and then signed with Tennessee; Joey's senior year, 1997, Sevier County went to the semifinals and lost to Riverdale led by Eric Locke; who i must say was the most dominating player i have ever seen on a football field in high school; and just to ask a question, i have heard for years that Locke was to old to play his senior year; i checked this with the Tennessee Vols media guide when he played there and according to the media guide he turned 19 in July before his senior year; just a little food for thought if anyone has a comment on this

I believe it depends on what kind of quarterback you are speaking of. For example you wouldnt classify Eric Locke with someone like Joey Mathews. As far as athletic quarterback hands down I would have to say Eric Locke. He was nasty, I have seen more people tackle air as they were trying to put leather on him. Now a pro type quarterback there are a couple, Joey Mathews was wonderful, but I believe a lot had to do with the talent that surrounded him. David Youell, Travis Sims I believe was his name and they had a good running game. One quarterback who I believe had a lot of talent would be Andy Crock from Bearden, he didnt put up huge numbers but anyone who played against him would tell you he is a great competetor and got the job done. Sevier County has put out some great quarterbacks and I believe that there coach is a big reason for that. The kid from Seymour and forgive me for not knowing his name, started his career at Sevier County and put up some big numbers.

i think shane kelley from the '99 title team at sevier could have beaten locke. he was one of the best all around athletes i have ever seen. As far as joey mathews goes, he is one of the best shall we say "old fashioned" qb's out there. Not very agile, or quick but man he can fire that pig skin. The year he went to UT and started in the orange and white game the coaches had to ask him to stop throwing the ball so hard, cause he was throwing it so hard and so accurate that the players couldnt catch it. And not to beat a dead horse with a stick but he would still be playin or maybe even the nfl if clausen's daddy didnt have so much money.

scbballfreak, come on; kelley better than locke; get real; although i prefer east tennessee football, eric locke has been the best i have seen in years; i do not believe there has been another player like him in years; he did things that should not have been possible to do; kelley was great in the last half of the year and playoffs in 99, but locke was doing his thing even as a freshmen; and speaking of locke, will noone respond to the question of his eligliblity his senior year; i still here he turned 19 in july before his senior year; and scbballfreak noone cost matthews his job at ut; he was beat out by a better and more dedicated qb; get your facts straight before you open you pie hole

Guest region4fan

Ama, What you said about Locke was speculated about by many folk in the Boro. If you actually have proof via a media guide of his birthdate and age, and it is actually true that HE WAS 19........then you might want to send the publication where it counts. If he really was 19, that accounts for being a little better than 15,16, 17, and 18 yr olds. however, I can't imagine that even RHS could have pulled that one off.

My personal opinion says that Kelly Holcomb was the best QB that Oakland faced over the years. He had the whole packaage and has proven it in the NFL.

I still say that Jamison Link, Michael Edmiston, Wes Counts, Robbie Knight, Lance Phillips were all forces to be reckoned with as well.

Edited by region4fan

scbballfreak, come on; kelley better than locke; get real; although i prefer east tennessee football, eric locke has been the best i have seen in years; i do not believe there has been another player like him in years; he did things that should not have been possible to do; kelley was great in the last half of the year and playoffs in 99, but locke was doing his thing even as a freshmen; and speaking of locke, will noone respond to the question of his eligliblity his senior year; i still here he turned 19 in july before his senior year; and scbballfreak noone cost matthews his job at ut; he was beat out by a better and more dedicated qb; get your facts straight before you open you pie hole

i think u misunderstood me, i said that i think that kelley could have beaten locke with the teams they had at that time, meaning sevier co '99 and Riverdales '97 team. Maybe or maybe not. And neway, if u actually expect me to believe that casey clausen is dedicated at anything then give me a sec and let me go put on my waiters. Ya he may have set a few records at UT but it was because of the players he had around him not him. Casey Clausen is the poorest excuse for a college qb that ive ever seen in my life, and that was proved at the draft this year. He was qouted before draft day in the knews-sentinel in fact "I'm one of the top 5 qb's in the nation whos not gonna want me", end qoute. And guess wat he didnt go. And if ur actually gonna compare him to joey come on get real, he can out run, and can certainly out pass, this i know because i was a ballboy in '96 for sevier co and threw with him at practice sometimes, the guy could throw at 40 yarder on a line, and it would hurt when it got there and also when he played in the orange and white game they had to ask him to not throw so hard because the recievers couldnt catch it. There is absolutley no comparison between them, and if u happened to read the paper last year, our paper the mountain press, fulmer called joey and asked him to come back, bet you didnt know that did u. Joey is more of a man and player than casey clausen could ever hope to be. If you think otherwise i guess his daddy paid you off to. So no your roll and go eat your wheaties.

Edited by scbballfreak

scbballfreak, I went to a UT football game at Neyland Stadium last fall. I bought one of the programs and in one section of it, it had an appreciation page to sponsors and people who gave loads of money to the university. At the top of the list were the names: Manning and Clausen. Kinda funny that these 2 guys each started 4 years huh?