Ideal Staff Size

RonMexico07

I think the more coaches the better. I really don't think you can put a number on how many coaches are enough. I figure alot of people are going to say 4 on each side of the ball, but think about how nice it would be to have 1 individual coaching : D-Tackles, Nose Guards, D-Ends, Inside Linebackers, Outside Linebackers, Corners, and Safeties.

It's a dream world, but wouldn't it be fun!!! B)

Depends on the size of your squad. Rule of thumb used to be one coach for every ten players, but that has gone by the wayside with specialization. Restrictions are placed on the number of staff and/or Volunteer/retired coaches you can max out on. Of course, you start with a head coach, then offensive and defensive co-ordinators, and then branch out as you can. Rules are very restrictive as to what constitutes a "coach position."

Here is Maryville's coaching staff right now

Head Coach and quarterback coach. George Quarles

Offensive line coach. David Ellis

Running Backs coach. Mike White Jr

Receivers coach. Joe Robinette.

Defensive end coach. Joe Pinkerton

Defensive tackle coach. Mark Humphrey

Defensive backs coach and strength coordinator. Wayne Thompson

Defensive coordinator and Linebacker coach. Jim Gaylor

Maryville is very blessed to have this coaching staff. I would put them up against any coaching staff in the state. Every coach on this staff is top notch.

When I played at Maryville from 79-81 there were 4 coaches.

Head coach Ted Wilson. Ted was also offensive line and defensive line coach.

Defensive coordinator Don Story. Don was linebacker coach and helped out on the offensive line.

Offensive coordinator Lynn Brown. Lynn Brown was quarterback,running back and defensive back coach.

Receiver and defensive back coach Mark Humphrey.

Mark Humphrey coached back then and he coaches now. Mark has been around a lot of good coaches at Maryville.

Maryville is twice as big now as it was when I attended there. There was about 600 students when I went to Maryville. All of Blount County has grown so much.

Will someone tell me why schools are limited to a certain number of non-teaching coaches. TSAAA limits a great number of things (coaches) included, supposedly in the best interest of the students. I disagree. I think you need a 4 to 1 ratio of players to coaches. In most cases a dozen would be great. That would be completely unobtainable given the TSSAA mandate. This is one of the reasons TN players don't get recruited !!

BA's staff has a head coach/off. coordinator, a LB/ Def. Coordinator, a secondary coach, a backs coach, a receivers coach, a QB coach, a d-line coach, an o-line coach, and an ends coach, along with two guys that do strength and conditioning who are considered part of the staff, along with two other coaches that work part-time because they also do middle school. I would guess MBA has a similar number, possibly a few more.

GradfromtheNest

Us Rebel fans are very fortunate. Not only does Maryville have a coach at every position but they have a quality coach at every position. Every school deserves to have a coach for every position.

What Hamilton County is doing is awful. A school Ooltewah's size needs more coaches. I hate it for fans like you. I hate it for the kids more. Those kids deserve better.