AAU NATIONALS 16U

It is understandable that AAU went to the larger pool and single elimination brackets to ensure that all teams have a justifiable number of games to play for the money spent while still being in contention for the title. Parents did not like playing three pool games and going home if they were not in the top two in their pool, especially after spending $600 for the tournament. I can relate! I personally prefer the double elimination format

Last year as 15U, it was double elimination. The Texas Jammers beat the Fairfax Stars. The Fairfax team had to play through the loser's bracket. The Air Oklahoma Stars beat the Jammers in the winner’s pool. The Fairfax team beat the Jammers to win the loser’s bracket. The Fairfax team got to play the Oklahoma team for the National title and won it.

Do you think that AAU will keep this format next year? Eighty teams attended the 16U Nationals this year. If AAU only took two teams from an association, there would have only been 57 teams this year. Five associations sent singles. Instead of paying $600 per team, it would have cost $842.00 per team to generate the same amount of revenue for the thirty-three associations that actually attended.

Would $242 bring back double elimination? I don’t think so.

Regardless, our girls had fun!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quirk got the job at McMinn, and I think he will do an excellent job. He may be one year away from ruling the Region. In an earlier post, talking of the players, I failed to mention a girl named Boyd. She is a player, a senior, and a definite starter. McMinn is semi-loaded. Cleveland is ultra-loaded. They have an all-star at every position. The vote thing just might bring them closer together. Ole Rachel may have known what she was doing after all. Cleveland can win the state if everything falls into place. Same said about Walker Valley. Meigs and Bradley won't be far behind. What talent in this area.