MBA Football 2004

TheBigRedDog

I want to hear some talk about the Big Red this year. Let's hear everyone's comments about the two time defending state champs for 2004. Strengths, areas of concern, etc.

My two cents...

Strengths:

Offensive line, fullback, tailback, linebackers- Pretty much loaded at all these postions.

Concerns:

QB - Three guys competing for the job, none with much experience. Burns is the best athlete of the group, but is more of a tailback than a QB.

Defensive line - Tipton and Bubis are studs at tackle, but the loss of NG Tommy Hart may mean Bubis goes to noseguard. Depth will be a major concern here. In the past few years, they've been able to have a four of five man rotation on the d-line and not miss a beat. I don't think this will be the case this year. Maybe they'll bring in somebody from another postion to the d-line.

Receiver- not much experience coming back, but it may not matter if there's no one to throw it to them.

Overall, I think we'll need to be patient with this team. Things may take awhile to get going smoothly, but I predict the West End Men will still be there in the end.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is the fullback? I suppose the strength you reference in the tailback position is because of Burns and Snyder but I am not sure who the FB is. I think Koban did not really get all the credit he deserved last year and he will be missed-- he was often overlooked due to the other offensive talent they had.

MBA and BA have (at least over the past few years) had a distinct advantage in that they had numerous good lineman who they were able to rotate. That is not a luxury that other teams teams have had.

My prediction is MBA third--BA to win and MUS a surprising second.

I think Pilkerton is the fullback, if I'm not mistaken. I think Carney can play some fullback, too. I agree, Koban was very underated and I was surprised if he didn't get more of a look from D-I schools. I predict that he will do very well at UVA. I'd look for him at either outside LB or strong safety.

While I am of the opinion that depth on the d-line is a concern, I don't think its a really big deal unless guys start getting injured. Then we've got problems.

As far as your MUS prediction, I have to disagree. Even with the concerns MBA has this year, they are still at a level above the rest of the league, with the exception of BA. MUS will no doubt be improved, but I highly doubt that they finish second. I'd actually look for them to be around fourth.

BRD

As for the MUS prediction, you may be correct. Perhaps I am just looking for a reason to change the Clinic Bowl mix this year. You Middle Tenesseans need to let some of us border teams play sometime.

I noticed the MUS_MBA game is in Memphis this year and maybe that bodes well for MUS.

BRD, what happened to Tommy Hart? Was he injured, or has he decided not to play? I do know he was a junior last year.

Chattcity, Jay Pilkerton was FB last year, as well as a starting LB. He is a physical player and a great athlete. Jim Beckner, also a RB/LB, may get some touches in the offensive backfield.

I think the D-Line will be be bolstered on the ends by Luke Brown and Daniel Hightower. Brown really came on during the year and was the leading tackler for MBA in the Clinic Bowl versus BA. The aforementioned Bubis and Tipton are going to be problems for teams thinking they can run, run, run.

QB is obviously the biggest question mark. It has to Burns or Howe, IMO, although as BRD said, Burns is more of a tailback. That being said, MBA could have a pretty mean running attack with an "option option" with Burns at QB and Pilkerton/Beckner and Andy Snyder in the backfield. Speaking of Snyder, I really think he has some big things in store for him the next two years, despite a relatively small frame.

I have no idea what to expect out of MBA this year. It may be someone else's turn this year, but I will never count Coach Rutledge out of game-planning.

BRD, what happened to Tommy Hart? Was he injured, or has he decided not to play? I do know he was a junior last year.

Chattcity, Jay Pilkerton was FB last year, as well as a starting LB. He is a physical player and a great athlete. Jim Beckner, also a RB/LB, may get some touches in the offensive backfield.

I think the D-Line will be be bolstered on the ends by Luke Brown and Daniel Hightower. Brown really came on during the year and was the leading tackler for MBA in the Clinic Bowl versus BA. The aforementioned Bubis and Tipton are going to be problems for teams thinking they can run, run, run.

QB is obviously the biggest question mark. It has to Burns or Howe, IMO, although as BRD said, Burns is more of a tailback. That being said, MBA could have a pretty mean running attack with an "option option" with Burns at QB and Pilkerton/Beckner and Andy Snyder in the backfield. Speaking of Snyder, I really think he has some big things in store for him the next two years, despite a relatively small frame.

I have no idea what to expect out of MBA this year. It may be someone else's turn this year, but I will never count Coach Rutledge out of game-planning.

That's a great point, Rollredroll. Coaching is a huge strength for MBA. People generally underrate the importance of coaching at the high school level. Rutledge is great...maybe as good as Ricky Bowers, and I thought he was an astounding game coach as well.

I know he was mentioned as a potential assistant for both Alabama and Mississippi State last year. How long do you think he'll hang at MBA? A long time I hope (cringing a bit as a BA fan!!). I think he's great for High School footabll in our state.