The Depth Chart (as I see it)

QB: Ryan Burns

RB: Andy Snyder

FB: Pilkerton

TE: Carney

Tackles: Joseph Birdsong and Bransford Maxwell

Guards: Leonard Edwards and Billy Billington

Center: Lundy

Receivers: Chambliss Shillinglaw, Clay Cooper, ?

DLine: Matthew Bubis, Hughes Tipton, Will Fitzgerald (he'll do very well, just wait and see)

Linebackers: Beckner? Pilkerton? I'm not sure about this one

Ends: Brown, Hightower, Nagle, ?

DBacks: Warfield, Crumbo, is Dawson playing? another position im unsure of

I don't quite share the concerns of others with this team--the offense may lose a bit, but they'll reload, it'll just be a different game. With the athleticism of that backfield (Snyder, wow...Burns, Pilkerton) running behind that O-Line (BIRDSONG!, and I also really like that Billington could be at Guard, he can do big things), I see good things.

As for he defense, the two seniors on the line are studs, and Fitzgerald is more than adequate to get the job done. The rest of the defense should be in great shape with plenty of depth. It may be a bit rocky early on, but once MBA gets some experience it'll again be a force.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't quite share the concerns of others with this team--the offense may lose a bit, but they'll reload, it'll just be a different game. With the athleticism of that backfield (Snyder, wow...Burns, Pilkerton) running behind that O-Line (BIRDSONG!, and I also really like that Billington could be at Guard, he can do big things), I see good things.

The "glass is half-full" side of me tends to agree. While we are all in the dark (at least I am) on the QB situation, I think MBA's backs are outstanding. I think Andy Snyder is an unsung player who will be great with experience. Someone told me last year that he put up around 200 yards rushing on Riverdale in a freshman game (is this true?). I also saw him in a scrimmage last year where he was stopped three yards behind the line by a player much larger than him. The guy tried to jersey tackle him, twisting Snyder in a circle. Snyder breaks free, stiff-arms some guys, and then gallops 80 yards for a TD. Pilkerton is a bruiser and has great hands for the passes in the flat. Burns is tough and shifty and almost broke a long TD versus Trinity last year (he was caught after a 55-yard gain).

As for the line, the guys you mentioned would make up one of the bigger lines MBA has ever had. I'd say the average weight of that starting five is around 240.

I dont think Billy will be playing much this year due to a torn ACL the year before against BA. The Offense looks like this I think:

Tackles: Birdsong, Maxwell

Guards: Edwards, Landman

Center: Lundy

TE: Carney

QB: Burns

FB: Pilkerton

RB: Snyder

and defense:

D-Line: Bubis, Tipton, Adams(moved to D-Line)

D-Ends: Nagle, Brown

Linebackers: Pilkerton, Beckner

D-Backs: Crumbo, Williams, Warfield, Hanfelt

Which recent MBA club does this year's team most closely resemble? Right off the bat, they seem to reflect the 2001 team (6-5) since they have a lot of unknowns at key positions. That team had also lost a star QB (Ingle Martin), was defending a state title win over Brentwood Academy (8-7), and had been nationally ranked the year before. I think this year's team has more potential than the '01 squad, though; whereas that team lost to Christian Brothers in the quarterfinals, I see Rutledge's crew making another appearance in the Clinic Bowl.

Edited by WesVols