Best High School Rivalry

JC4life

Rockwood @ Harriman this Friday has got to be one of the biggest rivalries in the state.

1st Game was in 1921!!! Oldest in State.

This series has seen streaks by both teams, close games, blow outs both ways, not to mention fights started by both teams at some point....one of the first RHS vs. HHS games I saw was when a Rockwood tailback was knocked over a sideline fence then a fight broke out I knew then it was important!!

Rockwood @ Harriman this Friday has got to be one of the biggest rivalries in the state.

1st Game was in 1921!!! Oldest in State.

This series has seen streaks by both teams, close games, blow outs both ways, not to mention fights started by both teams at some point....one of the first RHS vs. HHS games I saw was when a Rockwood tailback was knocked over a sideline fence then a fight broke out I knew then it was important!!

Rockwood and Harriman may be the oldest (although I've heard stats that say Maryville-Alcoa is the oldest) but it is not the best. Alcoa-Maryville hands down. 2 schools with unprecedented success in their respective divisions separated by a little creek.

Maryville is 51-21-2 against Alcoa over the years. It is a great rivalry between a 4A powerhouse and a 2A powerhouse. Both teams have 12 state titles between them.

Alcoa won state championships in 1977,1978,1979,1989 and 2000.They were runner up in 1988

Maryville won state championships in 1970,1976,1978,1998,2000,2001 and 2002. They were runner up in 1977,1979 and 1997.

These 2 cities are bordering each other. The 2 schools are about 5 miles apart.

You forgot about Alcoa and Maryvilles 2004 Championships its 14 titles between them and usually pack around 5-10 thousands fans in the stands on really good years lol. I know there was a lil over 9,000 this year at Alcoa. Other then Alcoa/Maryville id have to say Loudon and Lenior City go to a game of theirs even if they are playin another team and you can still tell they hate each other!!