Campbell Co. Football

CampbellCo.man84

Cdragonz123. I am a real retired possumcop from within about 50 miles of you and I also dabble in coaching football. thumb

CampbellCo.man84, I am looking for an answer from you to a question by JKar, what kind of coaching personality do they need on Cougar Ridge to bring out all social classes of kids and bring cohesion to the Eagle/Owl problem. Don't know if they still do, but I once heard they parked on two different sides of the school. Do they??????????????? ;):):o

Edited by possumcop

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cdragonz123. I am a real retired possumcop from within about 50 miles of you and I also dabble in coaching football. thumb

CampbellCo.man84, I am looking for an answer from you to a question by JKar, what kind of coaching personality do they need on Cougar Ridge to bring out all social classes of kids and bring cohesion to the Eagle/Owl problem.  Don't know if they still do, but I once heard they parked on two different sides of the school. Do they??????????????? ;)  :)  :o

825295183[/snapback]

I coached at Lafollette middle school for 5 yrs, and I never had a problem with the players from jacksboro and neither did my players...I am real good friends with the coaches from jacksboro and we talk on a regular basis.

We played each other every year that I had been there, and after every game win or lose, both sides coaches gather their player in the middle of the field and we talk to them about how important it is not to let the Owl/Eagle rivalry affect their relationship in high school.. It's a very good speech all the coaches including the high school coaches speak. The speech usually motivates the kids, they are holding hands and are excited to play together at the high school....So I don't beleive the Eagle/Owl problem is still a problem!

The reason they say its the lafollette side and jacksboro side is because it help coordinates the bus routes and the jacksboro side faces jacksboro and the lafollette faces lafollette so it has nothing to do with the Eagle/Owl rivalry.

I don't know what kind of coaching personality they would have?? I know that I seen a lot of coaches come and go!

they need someone who can relate with the kids! A lot of our kids have to work

and dont have the support of their parents to play any sports.

I hope this answer your question ?????? thumb

Edited by CampbellCo.man84

I've coached at Campbell County High School and Jacksboro Middle School and I agree that the Jacksboro/LaFollette rivalry does not affect Campbell County High School. There has been such a general apathy towards the football program for so long that there are many players that could contribute to the program that simply do not play. This could turn in to a break out year for the Cougars if their o-line steps up to the plate and takes control. They look strong at the offensive skill positions and on defense. I think they will be in all of the games and have a shot at a 6 or 7 win season. Mo East will be tough to beat on the road but I feel it is a very good chance to post a season opening win. Jeff County and D-B will be tough opponents. At least D-B has to make the trip down here this season. I see the Cougars having at least a decent chance of winning the other games. I know that Campbell County will be wearing a target for many teams this season but I feel that they are ready for the challenge.

VolTimesSportsEditor........I know about the parking thing and the good work the middle school coaches have done, cudos to all of them. I was just trying to be a devils advocate on that minor subject, but the major subject is what is needed to bring out the kids at Campbell Co. And now you have upped the stakes for a 6 or 7 win season are you putting more pressure on the coach than say.....we were previously?????????????????????? thumb

Yes, Juke Dye quit after the first couple of games last season but he is back now. The coaches are trying to decide wether they need him more at Quarterback or Wide Reciever, because he shoudl s tart at both but you just cant do that. And look for that #5 jersey to blaze past a few defenses next season on his way to the endzone.

hmmmm, this is getting quite interesting. A former coach of CC, (SportsEditor) I do have some questions for you. Being that I have many friends up in CC I got to know some things from what they tell me. 1) Is it really difficult to get the kids out. 2) Does the community support the team like they should. 3) You guys talk about Eagle/Owl problem, explain in better detail what that is.

cdragonz123 ? for ya. I hear through the grapevine that you lost a QB headed north 61 4 miles up the road to the blue/grey is this true, I don't know just asking.

back to sportseditor

man what a prediction 6 or 7 wins wow!!!!!!! I'd love to know the history of CC football on won/loss record each year maybe even the head coach that season also. If you could post that it would be great!!!! BTW how many players does CC have that will contribute to varsity action and not just bodies.

campbellcoman84 you coached at lafollette for 5 years and real good friends with the jacksboro coaches. where are you coaching at now (may have missed it earlier)?

To anyone in CC land I would love for someone to put there schedule on here because there's just like 4 or 6 games listed i'd like to see the whole thing!!!!!! and have a game by game break down.

Campbell county has a lot of talent.....from little league to middle school but its hard to carry over to the high school level. look at all the good athletes that transfered to anderson county....they all played at Campbell county for at least

2 years before transfering.    When you hear a lot of talk about Anderson co.

football most of the time they have a Campbell county starting backfield,  for example Nick Derry at Quarterback, Daniel Berry at tailback, and Shawn Cross at

fullback....not to mention the WR and linemen they had to.

I know we have the athletes, but like I said its hard to get some of them to play, and it hard to shut down I 75 south! 

I guess this the way its always going to be!

825294988[/snapback]

Those players you mentioned hurt Maryville in 1997. AC beat Maryville that year but Maryville won the region because AC had to forfeit some games.

I worked with Darrel Russell and Tim Woods at the Food Lion Warehouse 10-15 years ago. There were a lot of Campbell County guys that worked there. A lot of those Campbell County guys told me that a lot of the community didn't care about whether Campbell County won or not.

All it would take is the right coach. Every School has athletes.

Those players you mentioned hurt Maryville in 1997. AC beat Maryville that year but Maryville won the region because AC had to forfeit some games.

I worked with Darrel Russell and Tim Woods at the Food Lion Warehouse 10-15 years ago. There were a lot of Campbell County guys that worked there. A lot of those Campbell County guys told me that a lot of the community didn't care about whether Campbell County won or not.

All it would take is the right coach. Every School has athletes.

825295299[/snapback]

AMEN!!!!!

I'm not predicting a 6 or 7 win season, I am saying that the potential is there for it to happen. As for getting the kids out it is a Catch-22 type of situation. A winning season will get the kids out but some of the key elements to a winning season is the kids that aren't out. I think last season went along way in getting some new talent on to the field.

Yes CCHS will start a sophomore at QB, but he is very qualified and will have a great backfield and corps of recievers to help him out.

The community does not support the kids the way the should and it is a shame. Though there are good crowds at all the home games it still isn't up to par with some of the great programs like D-B and Oak Ridge. This is a football loving area but many people won't get behind these kids for some reason.

There is no Eagle/Owl problem. That gets brought up all the time but as somebody who spends time taling to the student/athletes of CCHS I have never heard any sort of rivalry talk even during the week that Jacksboro and laFollette play each other.

I'll give you some names to watch for from CCHS during the upcoming season that will contribute. This is by no means a complete list though. Look to see and hear about: Chris Johnson, Erik Summers, Larry Napier, Clark Woods, Mitchell Tipton, Brian Slover, and Brance Stiner. Several others could step up to the plate as well. Also keep your eyes on freshamn Jarrett Davis and Corey Chapman, both of these guys will be great high school players.

I think Coach Wells and his staff have done a tremendous job with the program and I feel like they will continue to improve it. Both middle schools are doing a great job of feeding them talent. I feel like Wells is the man to bring the Cougar football program to where it needs to be. The local politicians would be foolish to put any additional pressure on that staff. They are building the program steadily like it should be done.