Chattanooga Central Purple Pounders

coachcornbread

Whats the word out of Harrison this year on the pounders? I think that if Brent Hayes can stay healthy they will have a good chance. Watch out for Bo Weiss also, he is a great O-lineman that has the ability to go to the next level. My only concern is at QB, Despaux will be hard to replace. Anyway, good luck to the pounders this fall. thumb

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Centrals Defense will be tough this year as long as Hayes recovers from knee surgery. Weiss is a great lineman but the offense may struggle early untill they develope a new qb and rb. Despuax and Davenport will be hard to replace. I look for big things from Lorenzo Meadows and Robert Woods this year. I say look for the Pounders to be 8-2 or 7-3 this year. Probably second in region but with some breaks, contend for the region title.

Ok, so what about Bo's age?  Did we ever come to a resolution on that?  My sources say he turned 19 well before August 1(which is tomorrow).  Just looking for some truth!

825295825[/snapback]

Well Grad fromthenest, I was at practice today and Bo is definatly eligable. Not sure when his b-day is but he is not 19. i dont know what sources you seem to have but they must be smoking crack!

Well the painting inside the school gym looks like the front cover of a Baking Soda box painted Purple and Gold. But I think Central will have a good team this year. I do agree with everyone else in here though. I think that they will have a good defense but will struggle on offense. I ran into Bo Wiess the other day and he is one big boy, and I expect great things from him and Hayes this year out at Central. I just think they will struggle in the early part of the year until they find there personallity on offense. They have to find someone to step up on that side of the ball.

Edited by InDepthInsider

2 quick questions, 1) What is a "pounder"? 2)Where are ya'll in relation to Boyd and Tyner?    Thanks

825295889[/snapback]

Chattanooga Centrals original mascot wasn't a purple pounder from what I have heard. They changed the name to the Purple Pounders, because they use to "pound" their opponents. I haven't seen much domination or pounding as of late, so I think they should go back to their original mascot.

The name pounders dates back to when Central was down on McCallie Avenue. The origional name was the purple warriors but was changed to the purple pounders because of the way they would pound the ball down the field on everyone. When the school moved to Harrison, the name came with them. Hey Guess who, they have done a little pounding over the last couple of years if you havent noticed. they have made the playoffs the last three years straight which is an improvement to what it was over the last 10-15 years. They have an excellant young coach and look forward to a great season this year, even a region championship. InDepthInsider is right, Bo Wiess is a big ol boy and so is Brent Hayes. Thier QB is a big boy also going about 6'3 210-215 lbs and can throw the ball well. The Defense should be awesome but the offense will have to come together and develope the QB and a new RB.

2 quick questions, 1) What is a "pounder"? 2)Where are ya'll in relation to Boyd and Tyner?    Thanks

825295889[/snapback]

I am just now getting to view these threads so I might be a little late in answering your question(s). I don't know your answer to #1 but to answer your #2 question may take a while. I am assuming that 'in relation' means football comparison. Well I don't believe Boyd played Central(in scrimmage or regular season) but the Tyner Rams did last year and really it was no contest. The final score was RAMS-41, Central-10 .

Central was unbeaten(I think 4-0) until that game. I realize no one on this board has played a down in regular season yet so I won't do any predictions on what will

happen in this years' game. I do think that Central may have a very good team(I have not seen them play yet) but last year was supposed to be a turning point in Central's program. I think the Tyner game showed them they had a looooong way to go before they could claim any kind of football 'dynasty'. They certainly had the opportunity but failed to beat Cleveland or Rhea County. My opinion is they put too much emphasis on the Tyner game.

That's my take on Central's program.