2004 Quarterback

C.J. Leak will be Tennessee's starting quarterback for the entire 2004 season unless something drastically changes. Here are the reports on each QB:

C.J. Leak showed some offseason rust, but made some pristine throws and was generally rather efficient considering it was the first day of practice. He looked confident and in charge, clearly excited to get back on the field. His adrenaline got the better of him several times, causing him to overthrow receivers; but for the most part, he had a solid first practice and appears ready to accept the quarterbacking duties.

Rick Clausen made a few nice throws, but didn't have the same confidence as Leak and missed some passes he should have easily executed. His arm isn't as strong as Leak's, though it may be more technically sound. He looked fine, but didn't convince me he could start. Assuming things continue along their present course, he'll be a very solid backup who should see plenty of mop-up time.

Brent Schaeffer is a splendid athlete. He glides everywhere he goes. But he obviously has a lot to learn. Schaeffer made his fair share of freshman mistakes, such as failing to locate receivers in 4-on-4 drills, grossly over/underthrowing his intended targets, and fumbling a couple snaps. He should not be expected to shine in his first practice, however, and will continue to improve. He showed flashes of brilliance, both with his lightning legs and rocket arm. He has the potential to be a very dynamic field leader.

Erik Ainge had the worst practice of the four quarterback prospects. He, like Schaeffer, displayed typical freshman failings, but made fewer nice plays than the flowing Floridian. He never developed a rhythm or any type of poise, and although his imposing 6-6, 200-pound frame is ideal for seeing down the field, he had trouble all day adjusting to the speed of play (even in 4-on-4 drills). He either waited to long to throw the football or underthrew his targets. He has a very strong arm, though, and will become quite a quarterback once he climbs a bit further up the learning curve. He made a few strong throws, indicating that he has splendid potential.

Bo Hardegree has improved a ton. He looked very poised and made some pinpoint throws. UT may have one of the best scout-team quarterbacks in the nation.

Here's how I'd rank the quarterbacks today:

1)C.J. Leak

2)Rick Clausen

3)Bo Hardegree

4)Brent Schaeffer

5)Erik Ainge

I'll be going to as many practices as I can as the Vols strive to weed out the quarterbacks. I'll keep you posted on what I see, though my observations are very untrained and atechnical.

Just don't forget that this was only one practice, and the first one at that.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I see Rick Clausen...I think he's shorter than myself (6'1)...Wes might know better than myself...but I highly doubt he is 6'3 or anywhere close to that. I'd say I've seen him about 15-20 times and his athletic ability pales in comparison to Meachum, Swain, Stallworth, and the rest of the Vols that play on the intramural basketball team...Now, it would be very difficult to be up to their atheletic ability (I for sure am not)...but Clausen is a horrible basketball player and an average athlete and I just dont believe hes 6'3. Not exactly a good combination for basketball...or football. Do you think he is 6'3 Wes?

P.S. No one tell him where I live...hes stronger and bigger than me...and I dont want a brand new face.

Every time I see Rick Clausen...I think he's shorter than myself (6'1)...Wes might know better than myself...but I highly doubt he is 6'3 or anywhere close to that.  I'd say I've seen him about 15-20 times and his athletic ability pales in comparison to Meachum, Swain, Stallworth, and the rest of the Vols that play on the intramural basketball team...Now, it would be very difficult to be up to their atheletic ability (I for sure am not)...but Clausen is a horrible basketball player and an average athlete and I just dont believe hes 6'3.  Not exactly a good combination for basketball...or football.  Do you think he is 6'3 Wes?

P.S. No one tell him where I live...hes stronger and bigger than me...and I dont want a brand new face.

825299812[/snapback]

Ego, there's no doubt he's shorter than 6'3. Schaeffer seems below 6'3, too. He didn't seem to be a great deal taller than me (and I'm 5'9)...I'd guess 6'1 for Rick and 6'0 for Brent.

It should be an intriguing year. Practices take place at 7:30 and 4:30 today...I hope to make it to the afternoon edition.