2004 Quarterback

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most casual UT conversations any time I throw out this question 90% of the time I get the stupid anwser : " Probably James Banks "  I think most knowledgable fans know that he is not even a canidate anymore. So who do you guys think, Schaffear, Ainge, Clausen or Leak?

825293309[/snapback]

CJ Leak is the guy when they run through the T against UNLV and I think will do a fairly good job remember this guy I think was a Top 20 QB out of HS those many years ago.

I think you will also see both Scheaffer & Ainge get the most snaps in mop up duty. Clausen will be a good guy to have that should know the offense and can do a good job if Leak goees down without having to throw the freshmen into the fire! Remember Quarterback Jerry Colquitte and that first play for the Big Orange at UCLA in 1994 and a guy by the name of Todd Helton had to go into the game before a little guy by the name of Manning was thrown in their and was told to shut up and call the play by his offensive lineman. Tennessee don't want to have to do that with these two freshmen QB's!

Next spring with Clausen, Ainge, Scheaffer & Crompton will be fun to watch!

C.J. is the man to start the season, but I'd look for Rick Clausen and Erik Ainge to be close behind (Ainge is better, Clausen has more experience). Schaeffer's athleticism will mandate a switch to WR by next year, and I don't think he'll see any action, though I bet he'd be the most fun to watch.

Assuming C.J. is the man, how do you guys think he will do? I think he'll be the 2nd best Leak in the SEC... it's like his 80th year of eligability...the guy has been around forever, maybe his patience and persistance will pay off. Remember last time an upperclass QB took over for a departed 4 year starter- that season turned out ok. Overall though I can't say i'm terribly excited about the position this year........Wes, I think you need to get out there and take a few snaps.

C.J. is the man to start the season, but I'd look for Rick Clausen and Erik Ainge to be close behind (Ainge is better, Clausen has more experience).  Schaeffer's athleticism will mandate a switch to WR by next year, and I don't think he'll see any action, though I bet he'd be the most fun to watch.

825293788[/snapback]

I don't think Scheaffer will be switching positions like Banks. Scheaffer is to good of a QB they say he is better than Micheal Vick was at this stage in his career. Plus he has been working on campus in 7 on 7 drills all spring & summer while Ainge was still home!

Oh and Scheaffer is wearing #7 as well! thumb

Assuming C.J. is the man, how do you guys think he will do? I think he'll be the 2nd best Leak in the SEC... it's like his 80th year of eligability...the guy has been around forever, maybe his patience and persistance will pay off. Remember last time an upperclass QB took over for a departed 4 year starter- that season turned out ok.  Overall though I can't say i'm terribly excited about the position this year........Wes, I think you need to get out there and take a few snaps.

825294246[/snapback]

I've already spoken to Fulmer and will be trying my hand at the position in practice this afternoon. Wish me luck! B)

I share your apprehension regarding the quarterback position, but am trying to rest assured in the fact that we have 3 good athletes and 1 good strategist vying for the position, and one of them just HAS to be the answer. That's the way the ball rolled in 2000, and that's what will happen this year, though just like 4 years ago we won't be without our fair share of frustration.

But hey, with both Ainge and Schaeffer redshirted I'm 12-0 with the Vols on Playstation, with only an aptly-named Orange Bowl showdown with Texas standing between Tennessee and a National Championship. B)

GO VOLS!!!

I would rather have CJ Leak or Ainge playing QB than another Clausen. Sure Katie won some games, but he never took any of the blame. Not to mention his nickname was the iceman. If I were a betting man I'd say the Vols will make a run this year because the team reminds me a lot of our 98 team. New QB after one who started 3+ years, dominating defense, running backs w/ experience, good corps of WR.

My football addiction has come down to this:          Wes, let me know how the National Championship goes.

825294667[/snapback]

I made a mockery of Texas, 51-7...their touchdown was a fluke. :rolleyes:

I emphasized training in the offseason and had a barebones recruiting budget, but still landed the #1 class in the nation, snaring 9 5-stars and 4 4-stars. I've had a tremendous QB battle between Clausen, Schaeffer, Ainge, and Ricks (Juco recruit who runs a 4.43 and has a rocket arm), but Ainge has emerged as the starter and going into the South Carolina game I'm 5-1 and #3 in the country (#2 in the BCS). Here are my results so far:

#25 Iowa W 31-14

@#1 Florida W 55-21

@#5 LSU W 12-7

#16 Georgia L 27-14 ;)

#2 USC W 41-21

@Alabama W 56-7

It's okay...I'm addicted, too!

Edited by WesVols

Wes, what happened in the Georgia game?? B) HAHA, only a joke.

My take is that CJ Leak starts the season #1 and finishes there. He'll have his ups and downs like all but the thing setting him apart fromt he rest right now is experience at the D1 level. I know Clausen played D1 but I'm not sure how much he really played. CJ had better be ready by Florida however, we'll need some offense to keep up with his brother. B) Hey, maybe CJ will actually win a bowl game for us.

I'll be at UT's first practice today and will give you the details on how all the prospective Quarterbacks looked.

I helped with the media day this morning at Neyland Stadium and found out that Schaeffer will live on my floor this year and Ainge will be my next-door neighbor. Should be a fun year!