TN's Top Players from Class of 2009, 2010, 2011

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do know of some of the better players that are just now entering the 6th and 7th grade and i will try to list them on here and there prospective schools.

7th grade - James Tooley - Ht 6' position Center or Power Forward (currently lives in Ky but is moving to Jackson County) This kid is a wonder to watch, anyone who seen my team play watched this kid in amazement he is by far the best at his age i have ever seen, he has speed, size and power. He intimidates even taller players, he is so fast. He can block a shot from 5 feet away and then take it down and slam it home, before most can get to half court! Have not seen anyone that could guard him one on one, he is unstoppable and very very intimidating. On more than one occassion the other teams parents have requested pictures of him after the game. He is one i have always had to carry his birth certificate with me as i have been questioned many times as to his eligibility, Major D1 ability.

7th grade - Lavon Tate - Ht 5'9 position - Center, Forward, Guard. School - Avery Trace Middle, Cookeville Lavon is not quite the high light reel that James is but is a very solid player who can take over the game. I look for Lavon to be in the 6'5 - 6'6 range and he can play just about every position on the floor. He cleans the boards up and is virtually unstoppable down low and then he can pull out and knock the 3 down. Very good ball handler and understands the game, a great kid to coach. Another D1 prospect

6th grade - Jordan Godwin - Ht 5'2 position - point guard and shooting guard. School - Jackson County Middle School - Prototype point guard who at a young age can go either way and shoot with either hand, see's the whole court and makes passes that even you can't see how he did it. Handles the ball with ease, and can break most presses by himself. A true player when the pressure is on. Has always played up in age, as a fourth grader he was starting on a sixth grade team and made numerous all-tournament teams that year. Last year as a 5th grader he was tournament mvp in 3 sixth grade tournaments. Has made more than one team go from a man to man defense to a zone to try to stop him.

7th grade - Mitchell Hill - Ht 5'3 position - point guard and shooting guard. School - Algood Middle School. One of the purest shooters that i know of. When he is on (and he is on most of the time) he can take over the game from the 3. Handles the ball very well and is a very smart player.

7th grade - Matthew Gentry - Ht 5'10 position - Center, Power Forward. Big, bulky, left handed kid that can control the boards, a true shot blocker, who is a very smart player. Will be in the 6'6 range, but with a big body. Is just now growing into his game.

Ok this list is getting long i will try to just list some more names

6th grade- Drew McMillan Jackson County

7th grade- Corey Ragland Cornerstone Middle

7th grade- Mitchell Simmons Cornerstone Middle

These are just the ones that i know of from the Middle Tn area, but all have played AAU for 3 or 4 years now and have faced competition from all over the country and have excelled against them. Hope this helps

i'm pretty sur that hill kid is goin to avery trace,with him & that le'von guy that should be fun to watch,can u tell me more about these two guys?

825302654[/snapback]

yes Mitchell Hill is going to Avery Trace as well as LaVon Tate as far as i know. Mitchell is a great guard, good shooter and ball handler and LaVon will be a force for them down low. both will be in the 7th grade and both should play alot. They will be a good team thats for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I need more feedback. I'm trying to find out some of the best players in each part of the state...I've already got a great deal of responses but still needing more from WEST TN. Keep them coming in, I'd like to have one set of rankings/list out by first part of middle school season.

• 2 weeks later...

TnBall,

As far as 8th graders go. You need to look at the top three teams in the state.

Memphis Bellevue

Tennessee Tigers

Reebok Southeast Elite

Eight Graders

Evan Webb 6’1” Reebok

Great Athlete can dunk, runs court well, can go coast to coast, great finisher one of the best I have seen in this age group. Is developing mid range jumper.

Thad Mchaney 6’4” Reebok –Tigers

Exceptional Athlete -very versatile can play 2,3,4,5 handles ball very well in open court, great passer for a big man, very good finisher on break- great upside

Gary Pope 6’0” Reebok - Tigers

very athletic, great leaper, very quick, can dunk easily, great at attacking basket and has decent mid range jumper.

Zeke ?? 6'4" Tennessee Tigers

Great Low post player, very strong, good moves around the basket, good shot blocker, great rebounder

Two Seventh Graders played with Southeast Elite 8th

Cayman Garret 5'3" Reebok

Very quick point guard, great shooter, good dribble penetration, can provide instance offense

Josh Tidwell 5'10" very athletic, great leaper, 1 or 2 guard, great quickness, can dunk off of alley op, very good dribble penetration with good mid range jumper, great handles

Edited by bigblue2

A few good players from Middle Tn

1. Markus Cantrell--- 8th Jere Baxter Middle(this team is loaded this year)

2. Thad McCaney ----8th Brentwoodwood Academy(plays like Brandon Wright)

3.Justin Snelling----8th Gra-Mar Middle(tall, athletic, still learning the game)

4. Caymen Garrett---8th Brentwood Academy(all around alot of skills)

5. James Short---7th Gra-Mar(natural athlete)