Ooltewah vs. East Ridge

tonymontana

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to this game. Ooltewah wins 23-6, but I wouldn't say that they were overly dominant.

East Ridge was very small compared to Ooltewah and couldn't stop the run. Ooltewah looked vulnerable to the long pass, especially to one pretty good size wide receiver.

Caldwell had about 240 yards. Not much of a pass game for the Owls. Great linebackers and defensive front.

East Ridge was a lot weaker than I had been reading about. This was the first time I had seen them.

Ooltewah never really kicked in the ground game until 1:30 left in the first half. Then they never looked back.

Anybody else agree with basketballisbest's assessment of the game? I went and watched Alcoa v. Maryville. Maryville won, but I thought Alcoa looked great considering. I feel sorry for the 2A schools that have to play them. Anyway, what are McMinn's chances of beating the Owls this next week? They are not what you would call weak and have good team speed.

That was a pretty good assessment by basketballisbest. After watching the first 2 quarters I thought it might be a long game. East Ridge has a couple of LONG passes that got them the 6 points they had. Ooltewah's offense really struggled at first. Turnovers and penalties didn't help much either. Like basketballisbest said, with a little over a minute left in the first half, Ooltewah FINALLY got the running game going. Woods didn't have much time to get many passes off...he got hit hard and often early. But once Caldwell got those legs moving he was gone!

Ooltewah's defense (besides the two loooong passes) looked pretty good. I think Ooltewah gave up 4 NET yards rushing to the Pioneers. If you're going to beat Ooltewah, you'll have to do it in the air!

This game started off looking to be pretty ugly from the beggining. But then it go better. East Ridge came out early and really impressed me. They didn't mind that Ooltewah was a 5A school and were suppost to beat them badly.

Game Summary

They drove the field only to get a field goal partially blocked. The scoring did not start until Ooltewah's punter put the ball down to the 1 yard line where they pulled off a safety. East Ridge answerd with a huge 60 yard pass. Ooltewah's Caldwell then really started his running attack with 52 seconds to go in the half, where the drive was finished off with a touchdown pass to Matt Lowe who then intercepted and returned a pass to the endzone early in the third. Then Caldwell finished off his night with a 24 yard run followed up by a 14 yard scamper to the endzone on his way to 241 yards on the night.

Outlook

Ooltewah was not as impressive in this game as I thought they would be, the second half and the first half was like day and night. East Ridge had trouble staying with Ooltewah's size and they struggled with the skills players speed, especially Caldwell. Brandon Stewart of East Ridge looked pretty good and has a really strong arm. If someone is going to beat Ooltewah they are going to have to throw the football. Just as I told Grad before the year started Ooltewah's weak point is their DB's. Ooltewah didn't look as good throwing the ball tonight as I think Woods completed only 5 passes for 55 yards and 1 INT and 1 TD. Stewart was completed 7 of 18 for 163 with two INT's and 1 TD. East Ridge was held to a minimal on the ground. I thought #43 from Ooltewah played an outstanding game and looked the best tonight out of Ooltewah's talented line backers. East Ridge should finish up strong in Region 4-4A. Always love high school football.

thumb

Edited by InDepthInsider