Cookeville 14, Lebanon 17

Alumn89

It really was a good game. Cookeville had this game the whole way. There were some terrible pass interference calls. One where the ball went over the lebanon players head, and out of bounds......and another where #9 for cookeville made a great play by rapping his arm around the reciever without touching him, and knocked the ball down. There was also some contriversy about the clock, and how many players Lebanon had on the feild at the end of the game. Way too many if you ask me.

Cookeville, keep your heads up. This was a good thing for you guys as you get ready for region action. You all can win it if you just play hard. The defense this year is the best in a while.

Go CAVS

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the refs were terrible. Not calling holding on the Cookeville offensive lines, putting too much time back on the clock at the end of the game, blowing the whistle to keep Lebanon's players from slamming the Cookeville quarterback at the end and then letting the play go until the Cookeville player was tackled, allowing too many people on the field during the last play (including Cookeville's coach who was out past the numbers), and sticking around to listen to the fit the Cookeville coach pitched that he didn't get his way (Oh, the discussions about coaches not having class can end with that one). These were two good teams, who played a great game. I felt bad for the Cookeville players; they hustled to the very end. I just hope that the coach doesn't go in with the guys and blame the loss on the refs. There were mistakes in the game and they can build on those and take their region. The refs were terrible but if you left it up to the refs to win the game for you then you deserve to loose. I guess Lebanon wasn't depending on the refs to win the game for them.

You will never see Coach Joslin blame the refs for losing a game for his team. Also, the time that was put back on the clock at the end was correct cause there was a change in possession and the clock keeper must have had problems stopping the clock at that point. The last play continued because the whistle never blew on the field and you play until the whistle blows in football. Great Game by both teams last night and good luck to both the rest of the season.

I never understand how someone can say a lost is a good thing. We practice to win, we play to win. If a lost is a good thing then why try to win? That's the mindset we deal with in CAVland. You never hear Riverdale saying a lost is a good thing.

Coach Joslin has to much integrity to blame the game on the refs. The game was lost on the field.

I watched half the game and listened to half the game-the radio announcer said "Lebanon was running through giant holes in the defense of Cookeville." When the safety has to be the leading tackler then something is missing up front.

Dropped passes, weak defense,poor tackling, poor time mangement, and the lack of intensity to knock out an opponent in the 2nd half caused Cookeville this win.

Glad we are in our region because the playoffs would be a distant dream if not!

One reason the safety was the leading tackler was because the Lebanon offense kept running sweeps to the outside and Toline is great at pursuit angles. As for the time at the end of the game one of the Cookeville players was running onto the field after the Lebonan turnover ran into the timekeeper and the timekeeper dropped the clockstopper.

ok, maybe it wasn't neccissarily a good thing....but maybe it helped them.

But i dont understand how you can say the defense was weak....they gave up one touchdown....to a pretty good Blue Devil Offense. Im not tryin to get in an argument or anything, cause we root for the same team.

Edited by Alumn89

I agree the refs were terrible.  Not calling holding on the Cookeville offensive lines, putting too much time back on the clock at the end of the game, blowing the whistle to keep Lebanon's players from slamming the Cookeville quarterback at the end and then letting the play go until the Cookeville player was tackled, allowing too many people on the field during the last play (including Cookeville's coach who was out past the numbers), and sticking around to listen to the fit the Cookeville coach pitched that he didn't get his way (Oh, the discussions about coaches not having class can end with that one).  These were two good teams, who played a great game.  I felt bad for the Cookeville players; they hustled to the very end.  I just hope that the coach doesn't go in with the guys and blame the loss on the refs.  There were mistakes in the game and they can build on those and take their region.  The refs were terrible but if you left it up to the refs to win the game for you then you deserve to loose.  I guess Lebanon wasn't depending on the refs to win the game for them.

825336448[/snapback]

Obviously you dont know Coach Joslin like many of us do. I would put my life on the line that he didnt blame the game on the horrible ref's!!! It shouldnt have to come down to the Ref's but when you have horrible men on the field officiating a game like that...its gonna make a big difference!!!!

Think about this....how many High School games have you seen when after the games...the Ref's will run off the field. Well lastnight, the Ref's knew they had messed up because instead of leaving the field..they tried to explain themselfs to the Cookeville coaching staff. That right there shows you they messed up!!

If Cookeville will give their QB time in the pokcet to pass the ball...they will have one of the best Offenses in the state. Ledford had absolutely no time back there lastnight. I know each of the linemen persoanlly and i know you guys can block...so give John some time and watch what he can do!!!

Shake this one off...and go get the region title!! Its a Pride game...your pride is hurting now but lets get another BANNER!!!!

Hey joakley, are you John? It's me, your favorite ex-youth! (CB) Did you go to the game last night? I listened on 98.9 and watched it this morning. What did you see firsthand?

825337041[/snapback]

We got there a little late but Cookeville had our number early. They did what they needed to on offense and defense to get to a 14 point lead. Just before half we made some adjustments and put 7 on the board with some nickle and dime passes and qarterback draws. We went in at the half with the momentum thanks to a defensive stop, a scoring drive, and a unsportsmanlike conduct call on Cookeville. In the second half the ball went back and forth both teams with opportunities and mistakes. Then Lebanon intercepted a pass and ran it in for a touchdown to even the score at 14. The teams continued to struggle until with 97 seconds left Lebanon kicked a field goal to go up by 3. The next 97 seconds were bazzar and long. Both teams had the ball for two seconds. Lebanon had poor time management and Cookeville had great time management but failed to move the ball very far. Now due to mistakes by the refs we are left questioning the last 42 seconds of the game but in the end it goes down as a W for Lebanon. Both teams played very well and I believe that both will do well this season and I wish all the best for both teams.

Obviously you dont know Coach Joslin like many of us do. I would put my life on the line that he didnt blame the game on the horrible ref's!!! It shouldnt have to come down to the Ref's but when you have horrible men on the field officiating a game like that...its gonna make a big difference!!!!

Think about this....how many High School games have you seen when after the games...the Ref's will run off the field. Well lastnight, the Ref's knew they had messed up because instead of leaving the field..they tried to explain themselfs to the Cookeville coaching staff. That right there shows you they messed up!!

If Cookeville will give their QB time in the pokcet to pass the ball...they will have one of the best Offenses in the state. Ledford had absolutely no time back there lastnight. I know each of the linemen persoanlly and i know you guys can block...so give John some time and watch what he can do!!!

Shake this one off...and go get the region title!! Its a Pride game...your pride is hurting now but lets get another BANNER!!!!

825337150[/snapback]

Obviously I don't know him that is why I said that I hope he wouldn't do that. Many people have replied and said that he would not blame the refs and I have no reason to doubt them. There were not only mistakes by the ref but mistakes on both sides of the ball by both teams so the refs can't take all the blame because it didn't come down to them, it came down to an interception, a field goal, a dropped pass, and a failed attempt at a first down. And since the refs neither kick, pass, catch, nor play defense they had no effect on that. I do agree with you that with some adjustments Cookville will go far this season.

Edited by joakley58