Weight Certification

fhsd

TD, my example was for someone who was, say, 12% at the time they were tested. The way it was explained to us over here was that for this wrestler, if he was 12% at the test and whatever it said his 7% was he could subtract 2% of his 7% body fat weight if that would put him in the lower weight class. You're right that if a wrestler is properly hydrated for the test and is already at or below 7% body fat when tested, he is where he is and can't lose anymore. The 2% then doesn't apply to this wrestler. The 2% can only be used by wrestlers who are over 7% body fat at the time of their test.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no real issues. It will all be explained on your printout once all information is entered on the website (nwcaonline.com). I believe that everything Coach Blair has stated is correct. The major change for wrestlers will be the "1.5% descent rule." There can be no more bouncing around, gaining and then losing 8-10 pounds each week.

Example: I weigh 144.9 and wrestle 145 on Tuesday at a dual. On Thursday I weigh 151 so I go 152 to help the team because we are facing a tough team and cannot afford for me to sit out. I cannot go 145 for my weekend tournament. My 1.5% per week descention must start over at my actual weight(151). Let's pick a fictitious date, say Dec. 8th is the Thursday of the dual mentioned above and I weigh 151. The next date that I could wrestle 145 is on Jan. 5.

You are allowed to lose 1.5% of your body weight per week to get back to your target weight which, in this example, was assumed to be 145. This calculates to approximately .214285714% of your body weight per day. This is how I came up with Jan. 5. That is 21 days after you weighed in at 151.0.

When you get to your target weight you better stay there. I believe this is the essence of the rule.

TD, my example was for someone who was, say, 12% at the time they were tested.  The way it was explained to us over here was that for this wrestler, if he was 12% at the test and whatever it said his 7% was he could subtract 2% of his 7% body fat weight if that would put him in the lower weight class.  You're right that if a wrestler is properly hydrated for the test and is already at or below 7% body fat when tested, he is where he is and can't lose anymore.  The 2% then doesn't apply to this wrestler.  The 2% can only be used by wrestlers who are over 7% body fat at the time of their test.

825372434[/snapback]

Joe,

Can that be right? Just because a wrestler is at or below the 7% makes him locked in??? Look at the following example.

Weight - 216

Body Fat % - 6.9999

FW - 15.1198

FFW - 200.8802

Min Wrestling weight at 7% = 216.0002

Min Wrestling weight at 5% = 211.4529

Based on your understanding of the rule..If this wrestler's Body Fat % had been 7.0001, he would have been able to use the 2% permission rule.

Weight - 216

Body Fat % - 7.0001

FW - 15.1202

FFW - 200.8798

Min Wrestling weight at 7% = 215.9998

Min Wrestling weight at 5% = 211.4524

We are talking about a difference of two tenthousandths of a percent in body fat or four tenthousandths of a pound in body weight. This scenario is not just a glitch in the system. Mathematically, it holds true for any wrestler close to his target weight with a BF% at or slightly below 7 at every weight except for Heavy.

BAYOU BEAR...I argued the same thing at our coaches' meeting, but no one backed me up. RC said you are locked in and there is no appeal process, period. I believe that this penalizes a kid for being in great shape. He said that we would not have many under 7% anyway.

My name is not Joe, but he is right. Below 7% and you are locked in.

Yes Coach, he's right. The reason you didn't get any support is because there are not many theoretical mathematicians that serve as wrestling coaches. You need to be one to completly understand the program. :unsure:

I looked up the rule. It says;

Any male or female wrestler whose body fat percentage at the time of measurement falls below 7% male/12% female must wrestle at the weight class where they fall. No weight loss will be allowed.

That is not fair at all. Your point that it penalizes wrestlers who are in shape is very true. It may also force teams or individual parents to spend the money to pre-test. That is totally wrong. Some teams and/or parents may not have the money or the knowledge on exactly how to go about having it done.

The amount of weight we are talking about for a kid less than 115 pounds is around 2/10,000th of a pound. I can see it now. A small freshman comes home from the test and tells his parents, " I'm wrestling 112." His dad says, " How can that be? You only weigh 104. The wrestler says, "I know. I don't understand it either. If I would have weighed 104.0002, they would let me wrestle 103 with your permission."

This has the same odor as any government bureaucracy. What a pity the TSSAA has taken this path. While I know their intentions are good, it would seem certain portions have not been thought through. Johnnie Cochran will have a field day in court if this 104 pounder wrestles against 112 pounders and gets hurt. B)

Edited by BayouBear

I have one of the little ones. He has always wrestled at 105 or 112. He broke his arm in three places in late July and has not been able to get back into the shape he was prior to the accident. He still can not have contact for another month. He weigned in at 119 and they told him he can only go to 116. As a freshman stepping up to a weight class seems to be crazy and I don't think it will protect him.

Can they team ask for a recertification? The big boys seem to be fine but two boys we had planned in for 112 will have to go up. Sounds like a big risk to me.

I think part of the issue is that you can not always make a rule/regulation that fits every single circumstance.  How likely are the examples that you have put up, really going to happen? 

Remember, this is to protect the wrestlers, not to punish them.

825376885[/snapback]

Edited by rigger101

The thing I dont understand is why this is such and urgent issue nationally. Kids have suffered from weight cutting the wrong ways,while on wrong supplements doing the wrong kind of wokouts. We have had a few pay the ultimate price which is to high.

Football on the other hand has 6 to 10 kids pay the ultimate price every year. Nothing is done about this, My son plays football and wrestles. I love both sports, but why does wrestling need to suffer from needless regulation, because its not as popular.

The rule will not effect any of our wrestlers, we do not encourage cutting. But most coaches know whether a kid is doing things right or wrong and most I know will tell them.

I would never let my son's cut weight but I know from being raised around the sport that once the season starts and the kids start watching what they are eating (No Junk, less Pizza) they loose up to 10 pounds the first couple of weeks.

Last year my son went from Cross Country to wrestling and weighed approx 164. He was running an average of about 5 to 7 miles per day and was solid. But when wrestling started and not wearing any sweats he lost down to 150 in a couple of weeks. Under this new system I don't think he would have been allowed to drop down.

This new system is going to put kids at a disadvantage who play more than one sport.

We know that the kids will find away to beat the system. I don't know if this will be any better than what we had before. :angry:

Edited by rigger101

Put Oreos on your training table so you can wrestle in a lighter weight class…

I appreciate that the State governing body is looking out for the health of our wrestlers. However, I suggest that they need to fairly apply the "2%" rule to everyone.

Each of my two sons will wrestle in higher than expected weight class this year because each ones body fat was less than 7% during certifications.

One son weighed 136.8# and 6.4% body fat, (On December 26th he would make weight in the 135# weight class with a couple of ounce to spare!). But, because the 2% rule does not apply to him, he has to wrestle in the 140# weight class all year. (As I understand it) had he had another .82 pound of fat on his body then he would have been given the 2% allowance and been able to wrestler the 135# weight class (i.e. he could have weighed more and wrestled at a lower weight!). I guess I should have fed him a bag of Oreos so he could make weight! Bottom line, there are going to be wrestlers that will have to wrestle in higher weight classes than those that are virtually their same size just because the 2% rule is unfairly applied.

To further exacerbate this situation, my son is currently running cross country and therefore carrying extra muscle mass in his legs that he will not have during wrestling season. Bottom line here… he'll probably naturally lose a couple of pound of muscles in his legs when he quits running long distances everyday, yet, there are no provisions for recertification. By the first of the year he might often be wrestling guys that out weigh him by 5# at weigh-ins and 7# at match time (after re-hydrating). Anybody have Johnny Cochran’s phone number? (Just kidding).

I think part of the issue is that you can not always make a rule/regulation that fits every single circumstance.  How likely are the examples that you have put up, really going to happen? 

Remember, this is to protect the wrestlers, not to punish them.

825376885[/snapback]

I have been waiting for the boards to open back up so I could reply to this one but I would say that about half of our projected varsity line-up is already below the 7% rule and will be locked in at where they are right now. We may be the exception and not the rule but I think that this ruling is a very good thing in principle but that some of the detai,l such as being able to drop the extra 2% of body weight, should be re-examined.

However, I will urge everyone to give the new system a chance so that we aren't whining about it until after we have dealt with it... at least then we can legitimately complain.

I have been waiting for the boards to open back up so I could reply to this one but I would say that about half of our projected varsity line-up is already below the 7% rule and will be locked in at where they are right now.  We may be the exception and not the rule but I think that this ruling is a very good thing in principle but that some of the detai,l such as being able to drop the extra 2% of body weight, should be re-examined.

However, I will urge everyone to give the new system a chance so that we aren't whining about it until after we have dealt with it... at least then we can legitimately complain.

825382884[/snapback]

Not sure how it will all work out yet. However, if it seems unfair to some of the wrestlers on your team, it is probably the same on others. This may have the effect of wrestlers who would have dropped a class and met each other, still wrestlinng each other at the higher weight.

I would anticipate some adjustment to the rules after there is some data to examine.

Oh yeah, you don't have to wait, come up with the very reasonable 12 bucks.

Edited by texas23