What makes the game for you?

Rebel Nation

There's nothing like a Friday night in Tennessee!! The sounds, the sites, the smells. Everything that makes for a great high school football atmosphere. What are your favorite parts? Past the part about your team being #1, what else do you personally love about high school ball?

For me it's the simple things:

The national anthem, everyone standing, singing and all men removing their hats.

The walk from the parking lot to the stadium, seeing all the familiar faces.

The sound of the crowd and the band just before you turn the corner and see the stadium.

The big lights of the stadium you can see a miles away, making it hard to wait to get there.

The team first, no me in team attitude of the kids....something you won't find in college or pros. The roar of the crowd on a long TD run...

More than anything though, we all get to be 18 again and forget all the "stuff" we left at home and at work.

What's it for you???

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, all those things you mentioned are certainly on my favorite list. .... I guess one of the big reason is how things come full circle in a small community. .... I remember going to games with my dad to watch my brother play, and now we all go to watch my brother's oldest son play. .... I see people at games now that I saw when I was a kid. ..... And, let's face it: What's better than a Hot Dog and Coke on a Friday night??

Absolutely! You are touching on something I left out that means a lot to me too. Seeing my friend's kids playing and sitting in the same seats year after year with my Dad for the home games. You really can't overstate what a good tool football is for father/son relations.

We have pizza from Papa John's at the stadium. Nothing like a hot slice on a cold nite!! It's really funny, because the pizza guy is allowed to drive right in the front gate during a game to deliver. It's quite a bizaar site to look over and see a chevette driving thru the front gate.

We have pretty good hot dawgs too...lots of chili!! :)

all of those are great... what about the one big play... you know what im talking about, the one when the next day everyone is talking about thats great

825341079[/snapback]

Yep, the one everyone holds their breathe for as the ball is in the air....you just know it's a TD before it happens. Yep, those are SWEET. thumb

I really enjoy to see players of opposing teams taking like old friends after a hard hitting game. In short I like to see good sportsmanship during and after. There are plenty of bad attitudes out there and its enjoyable to see the good ones shine through every now and then.

I love the whole entire night itself. The walk to the stadium, the visiting with friends, watching all the little kids play football on the hills of our stadium, just being at the game, and the chill you get when you see someone close to you do good or when your team is fixing to take the field and run through the sign. My favorite thing was when I played which was only a couple of years ago. Was being out there in pre-game and you here the drums in the band as the band makes it way to the field for the national anthem, as the band is coming I always was out on the field just dancing and stuff that is what always loosened me up. All the pre-game superstitions that you do or did just. Then right before you go through the run through sign, getting your team up because you are the leader of that team and everyone looks to you and wants you to do it. Man that stuff that is what the game is all about. LOVING EVERY MOMENT YOU ARE OUT THERE BECAUSE IT IS OVER SOON AND YOU HAVE TO LIVE THROUGH SOMEONE ELSE TO GET THAT JOY AGAIN.

For me, it has always been the roar of the crowd on a long TD. There is nothing like being down on the field when that big play breaks, and you hear that roar get louder and louder. If you`re a fan, and have never played, I would suggest you go down close to the field, and stand at the fence. Its something you`ll never forget, I know I haven`t. Since my playing days are over, and I have made my way up into the stands, and have found that its not the same. You need to be at field level, down where the pads are popping.