oakland update

shaggyJ

Guest region4fan

Sorry about your dog, Cat.I guess the cook was just mimicing the team last night........... I was so upset that I didn't even eat one...................now you know the level of my frustration???

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WC will be a play off team this yr. They are temendously improved and were clearly the better team. Oaklands youth really showed against a very diverse compicated offense that throws just enough to keep you honest.

Oakland got whipped up front all night and the WC  backs were getting 4 to 5 yrd up filed befor they met any one.

Oakland is young and that won't change so it is way to early to give up on them.

However I did see what Oakland saw and that is  arguing back and forth between players etc and by the 4th qtr the effort had completelywent down to jsut get the game finished level.

My suggestion----

throw a little more on first down

If your d lineman can't get it done put in some smaller quicker players and try to out quick them.

The worst new of the night-------- my hot dog was not up to standard it was cold and the bread was soggy now I can understand youth on the field etc but surely

region and oakland with their pull can get someone fired over this  :D

825346546[/snapback]

I got some more worst news for you. Wilson Central is also a very young team. Last TD was scored by a freshman........J. T. Majors. I would note that name for future reference. His father is Jeff Majors, great MJ player from the 80's and coaching at WC.

I thought the Pats played hard and I know they have an excellent coaching staff; they will be back tough and competitive in short order. Wilson Central has improved this year and might have a shot at making the playoffs....time will tell.

I think 'Cat summed it up pretty well. The battle on both lines was won by WC--decisively. Had it not been for Youree's (sp?) consistent play and a couple really nice plays from a couple other guys it could have really got ugly.

Who was the guy that made the one-handed catch down at the goal line?

What class is Youree?

There were quite a few wide open receivers missed by both teams.

WC dropped two interceptions that were right to them. I'm not sold on Smith as a QB.

Lopez for WC was a stud. Henry for WC is a tough little guy but I don't like him at CB. He got toasted a couple times due to his height disadvantage.

I sat on the Oakland side at about the 35 yard line which is about where we sit for Riverdale home games. It was very quiet right from the start of the game. It certainly did not have that big-game feel. My wife and I both commented that we had never before been able to hear the coaches shouting out instructions to the players on the field. Things picked up a little after Oakland's second TD, but only briefly.

It was a fun trip but not as fun as sitting in the hurricane the night before. ;)

I agree with Region and 2001, the guys looked like a very young team last night. They will have better days ahead. They will need to pick it up this week as Lincoln County seems to be getting their stuff together. I'm sure the team's psyche is a little fragile right now.

Oakland seems to have every gadget play and wrinkle known to man. It was fun to watch but I hope they are not investing too much practice time in those things. I'm not going to second guess at this point as those things may be needed for this team to have a chance to win. However, in the long run, few things help a team more than learning how to block and tackle.

On the bright side, it sounds like the Battle of the Boro is going to be a fun night. Free concert starting at six, game ball to be parachuted in by the Ft Campbell parachute team, then at 7:30 there is going to be a little football game. I'll bet it gets loud that night.

Sorry about your dog, Cat.I guess the cook was just mimicing the team last night........... I was so upset that I didn't even eat one...................now you know the level of my frustration???

825346554[/snapback]

Well I was gonna comment on one of your other posts but this one struck me.....if region4fan does not eat one of those famous dogs then something has to be wrong.

Ya'll keep your heads up over there. Region and Oakland, we have all gone through the down times. I am still haunted about Gallatin's little spurt back in the late 90's and early 00's. The worst game I think that I have ever seen was against Oakland in Gallatin when we lost 27-0. We were terrible. But the next year we went 10-3 and beat the supposedly unbeatable Brentwood Bruins. Remember that ya'll are young and growing pains will happen. Don't forget that I gave ya'll fair warning about Wilson Central before the season started. Good luck.

Guest region4fan

Yep, Gwave, you warned me about WC....but then I was impressed with them last year!! They have come a long way.However, I had a program and looked at the the WC kids....No, they were not nearly as young as us. Plus, there young kids have played....they had to...We actually have a frosh in on the line now. How many 5A schools have to do that??

I know that things will get better for us down the pike. I guess if I hadn't seen a glimmer early on....I wouldn't be so down. After all , we held Pearl Cohn scoreless in a late summer scrimmage! Then there was the gritty team that took on BA, fought back against LAvergne, and scored on Franklin.....................!!! I know it is all there.................they have to pull it out again. They have to fight to win. We don't have the other things that others have....depth, seniors, battle-scarrred veterans, blazing speed!

That was Cord Cowan with the one handed catch. At times, he can be brilliant........but he is inconsistent. He is a junior who had never played football b/f last yr.

Youree is a soph...............I said it early on that he would be one to watch. He is playmaker. He needs a surrounding cast...can't do it all himself.

I don't know what is up with Daryl. He is definitely chunking up some passes. The two INT's for TD's last week .......................killed us. he needs to settle back down and the line needs to step up and give him some time.

TDCman........I like mixing up the trick stuff. Marty had a tendency to practice it, but never put it in.....well except against Rdale! ;) I think he is scrambling for the right combinations! Remember the opposing team has to practice defensing them in case you pull some of the tricks out...........so they lose time working on them!!

Smart strategy!

We work on the fundamentals every day.....................many hrs on basis blocking and tackling. I have watched them.....but when you don't have a lot of depth to go up against...when you start both ways and you need some competition.....................it makes it tough to get that extra umph in. I don't know why we can be there to make the play and then not wrap up.

wow... i dont believe what i am reading from some of our "loyal" fans... i dont remember any players blaming the coaches... i dont remember any of us having a smile on our face after losing to WC.. yea im upset off, and yea we didnt play like ourselves but dont say that our team blames anyone other than ourselves... i love coach ferg and i dont blame anyone but myself, we have a great coaching staff and they put us in the best situation, we just have to trust.... dont put words in the players mouth though! they dont deserve that.

Guest region4fan

Maybe it is time to get mad and prove yourselves..................sorry but you weren't where I was after the game...............I know what I saw, who I saw, and what I heard. You can't be everywhere at once to know. And I also know there was plenty of partying.............And that the coaches are working today...they don't get the weekend off/////////It is time for the team to appreciate them and make them proud. AND I know that you guys can certainly have the potential to PROVE lots of things....especially that you don't accept losing!

just think what not so "loyal" fans are saying.

wow... i dont believe what i am reading from some of our "loyal" fans... i dont remember any players blaming the coaches... i dont remember any of us having a smile on our face after losing to WC.. yea im upset off, and yea we didnt play like ourselves but dont say that our team blames anyone other than ourselves... i love coach ferg and i dont blame anyone but myself, we have a great coaching staff and they put us in the best situation, we just have to trust.... dont put words in the players mouth though! they dont deserve that.

825346751[/snapback]

luter me and region are as loyal as they get, week in week out we defend you guys when nobody else is willing to. to say you guys didnt play oakland football last night is a huge understatement, i think you will see even in games you guys have lost that me and region will find positives out of every loss, but there werent many last night against a team that on paper isnt much better than we are, im not threatening not to go to lc like region is but i am seriously worried about the direction this football team is taking right now

I think Siegel opening hurt Oakland like ncaa probation hurts College teams.

Sometimes the real hit to the program comes a couple yrs later when not only do you lose talent but you lose a lot of depth and competition for playing time.

I saw Siegels freshman team and Oaklands freshman team and based on those 2 games Oakland does not have a lot of talent to follow this sophmore class. I find it curious how a new school can have a freshman team within 2 yrs that can play with established 5a teams and the established school looks more like the new school would be expected to look.

I have discussed this with region on pms and quite frankly Oakland has been dealt a bad hand while it is obvious to an unbiased observer that for whatever reason Siegel has been set up to succeed quickly.

I take my hat off to region and oaklands optimism but I really see Oakland struggling in the near future.

Does Oakland have some good sophmores absolutely but so does a lot of region teams and those teams have better juniors and freshman to go with it.

In summary Oakland and Region will hang with Oakland no matter what but everyone needs to realize the over all talent and experience level is not there right now and what they do have need time to develop.

I assure you teams playing Oakland now have a advantage becasue while they will

may not be a top palyoff team they will get better.

825346751[/snapback]

If you are #11 starting Lb. and I think you are, you have our respect down here that's for sure. I think that you made every tackle last year in both games.

I'll be glad when you graduate. :lol: