No Pass, No Play

BobcatGraduate04

I am a college freshman at Roane State Community College and I am doing a report on the No Pass, No Play rule. I want to hear from coaches, teachers, parents, players actually anyone! Do you think it is fair for an outstanding athlete to be punished for his grades? What if he tries to do the academics, but he just doesn't get it? Is it fair to not let him "shine" on the football field, basketball court, or on the baseball/softball diamond, or any other sport? Or should a athlete abide by the rules and no matter what not get to play for making below the required GPA? Should this rule just apply to athletes who don't try in school? If so how could the school systems accomplish that? Please let me know what you think! I'm looking forward to hearing your take on the situation and reporting it to my classmates. Thanks for your time and help.

Thanks again and hang in there Bobcats (OZ). :P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care how good they are. If they can't do it in the classroom, then they won't get a chance to do it for me on the field. It is sad and unfortunate, but that's the way it is. See, they may try, and I emphasize MAY, but if they still don't get it, then they should get MORE help! If they're truly trying and can't get it, then they need to spend their afternoons getting help instead of playing sports!

I have to agree with GradfromtheNest on this one.

We are not doing any student a favor by overlooking poor scores so they can play sports. If they have a low GPA, not being able to play sports is the least of their worries. They are at school to get an education first and foremost, if other activities take away from that then they should not be allowed to participate in other activities until grades improve.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I need other people's comments. Take into consideration that some students get into college by playing sports. Maybe that is the only way, financially, they get a higher education. Should they still be punished for not getting "average" GPA's. Thanks again for all your comments and please keep them coming!! thumb

Edited by BobcatGraduate04

Thanks everyone for your comments. I need other people's comments. Take into consideration that some students get into college by playing sports. Maybe that is the only way, financially, they get a higher education. Should they still be punished for not getting "average" GPA's. Thanks again for all your comments and please keep them coming!!  thumb

825358648[/snapback]

Playing devils advocate. If they can't pass High School Classes, a college education is only a waste of time for all.

My opinion is that sports just like drama, band and chorus are extracurricular activities. These activities should enhance and supplement the education experience but these activities are a privilege not a right. The primary purpose of our high schools are to educate our kids not teach them to play sports.

Edited by Bighurt

Thanks everyone for your comments. I need other people's comments. Take into consideration that some students get into college by playing sports. Maybe that is the only way, financially, they get a higher education. Should they still be punished for not getting "average" GPA's. Thanks again for all your comments and please keep them coming!!  thumb

825358648[/snapback]

It really doesn't matter if they want to get into college playing sports. If they don't have the grades in high school there is no way they could even make the grade in college. I mean, school is preparation for life, right? Well, the amount of people who get into college on an athletic scholarship is minimal. There just aren't that many of them. And, I believe that NCAA has rules about grades & athletics, also. Heck, if an "athlete" wants to play and be a dummy in school, there are always those AAU or travel leagues in town they can play on. School is to prepare students for life, not to play sports! As a teacher, I have enough slackards in my classroom. If students thought they could play sports without the grades, and that they could also have a chance to get into college without grades, I can almost guarantee they wouldn't study. What would be the point of school or college if it was only about playing?

Wow, getting a lot of response. I totally agree that a student-athlete must first make good grades. I was a varsity player in high school and I also know that you first have to prioritize your time. School does get you ready for life, sports is just a plus. :D Is there anybody out there that doesn't agree with the No Pass, No Play rule? In order for my speech to be affective I need both sides of the issue. Thanks for everyone's response. I am eager to see if any high school athletes respond to this topic. I have great admiration for college-athletes. College is a big load anyways but to keep their GPA's up and play a sport, which is like a full-time job or more... is amazing. Thanks again for all the response, keep them coming!

Edited by BobcatGraduate04