Boyd Buchanan, TimesFreePress

bbuc24

I would like to ask, How did Boyd get to be so good?  I remember this is a team that in the early 90's we beat every year.  I played at Vonore and we were terrible.  We could always look to Boyd to get or first, and usually only, win of the year.  I am ashamed to say the during 1990-1993 we only won 8 games total.  However, 4 of those wins came against Boyd.  I know what has become of Vonore, (we are now Sequoyah (unfortunately), but how did Boyd become so good in such a few years.  Nonetheless, congratulations to them. 

Hopefully, if all goes well Vonore will get a school of their own and the series can be renewed.  Although, it probably won't be like it used to be.

825365542[/snapback]

I taught and coached at Boyd from 90 to 96 (the 10-0 season) and have volunteered there in one capacity or another since then, so I can tell you how we turned it around. And I can tell you that any small school can, since as you said we were pretty terrible for most of our first 20 years.

Some of us decided to quit making excuses about all the Public schools having great athletes and to make ourselves better coaches. Then we got a new head coach (Hathorn) in from Texas who helped us get things turning (off season strength and conditioning program, teaching techniques instead of lining up and scrimmaging all the time, etc.). After 2 years he left and we couldn't find any other decent head coaches who would come to a losing program for the pittance that small private schools pay. So President Akins, who had been a head coach in W. Tennessee got the Board to let him coach for a year while we continued to search for a new Head Coach. And we won 10 games. And the Defending State Champs beat us by a touchdown in the 3rd round of the playoffs, then lost in OT to DCA who won it all. And, of course, the Board decided to keep Coach Akins in Football in addition to being President. :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the article, and my sympathy goes out to the Whitwell players who apparently work their butts off, according to Wes Green, just like every other team in the region. The only thing that is different is that Green practically belittles his own players by asking the question "What are we supposed to do with them?" I'm sure its pretty hard for the players to be prepared for a game when the coach doesn't even give his guys a chance from the start.

Why would they move to 4A when their school enrollment puts them in 2A??  If anything they would have only moved up to 3A...4A would have been a poor decision.

825365888[/snapback]

I had heard rumor that they were trying to move to 4A. Enrollment does keep Tyner at 2A, but every other factor makes 4A a good idea. 4A teams are all within 1/2 hour drive (opposed to some 1-to-2 hour trips to Tellico, Meigs, Marion, & Sequatchie). 4A teams are also logical intra-city rivals. Tyner has played (and beaten) Central, Hixson, and Brainerd. A division with Tyner, Red Bank, Brainerd, Hixson, Central, Cleveland, & Walker Valley makes a ton of sense from a football perspective and from a travel cost perspective. Might also put Tyner in a class where another team may beat them every once in a while.

I thought it was a good article. If anything, it showed how big of a poor loser whiner Wes Green is, and how very little Coach Akins is bothered by the accusations from the coaches of the teams Boyd has been whipping. He commented on how good it would be to keep the Boyd/S. Pitt. rivalry going. Credit to Coach Grider too -- He doesn't whine, and it seems like he loves the competition as well.

I think when S. Pitt. is "back", they will be as good as most any 2A school, and will be a good match-up for Boyd. Maybe S. Pitt. will think about moving up to 2A with us sometime in the future.

Coach Akins did indicate that playing the other regional teams, however, wouldn't be good for Boyd in the future, since they cannot provide any competition to make Boyd a stronger team. Boyd plays up to the level of better teams, which is the opposite of Green who wishes everyone would just play down to his level.

825365364[/snapback]

yea coach Green is nothing but a sore looser and a whiner. Coach Akins is a much better coach than him and he knows it. I hope Boyd and whitwell somehow play in the playoffs so boyd can kill them again and really run up the score this time for ole wes.

I DO NOT KNOW IF BOYD RECRUITS OR NOT, AND DON'T CARE, BUT I DO KNOW FROM WATCHING THEM PLAY WHITWELL FOR THE LAST 7 YEARS THAT AKINS IS NOT THE ROLE MODEL THAT BUCS FANS MAKE HIM OUT TO BE. THROWING THE BOMB UP 52-0 IS NOTHING BUT RUNNING THE SCORE UP. ALSO, WHEN WILL HEALY WAS THERE THE BUCS WERE LEADING BY 40SOMETHING-0 AND AKINS HAD THE RESERVES IN. WHEN HIS 2ND STRING QB GOT SACKED ON HIS ON 5.AKINS PUT THE STARTERS IN AND THREW ALONG PASS FOR A 95 YARD TD. WHY? I HAVE MORE EXAMPLES IF YOU NEED THEM. AS FOR WHINING,WHEN TYNER BEAY BOYD 95-3 THERE WAS ABIG ARTICLE ABOUT AKINS CRYING ABOU T THE SCORE BEING RUN UP ON HIM. DO NOT FORGET WHERE YOU CAME FROM, YOU MAY RETURN ONE DAY. IT SEEMS EVERY TIME THAT SOMEONE DOES NOT AGREE WITH BOYD FANS STHEY ARE CALLED WHINERS AND ARE TOLD TO GIVE FACTS. WELL THERE ARE YOUR FACTS. BY THE I AM A TIGER FAN AND PROUD OF IT.

I am very sorry if I offended anyone by writing in caps, but evidently someone got my message anyway. For all Buc fans if you need to know,it was your head coach that was so eager to get on camera that he could not come through the line to shake hands first. Only the assistant coaches came through to shake hands. Your coach was not the perfect role model because the media came first. Don't throw stones because both coaches are a little less than perfect.