Boyd Buchanan, TimesFreePress

bbuc24

Boyd Fans

I can remember Tyner beating Boyd 95-3 in 1997. I also remember Greenback used to wear you guys out big time.

As a Maryville fan I can tell you this. When you start winning people will blast you. Boyd has a good program now. Isn't it amazing what a great coaching staff can do?  Maryville was getting their tails whipped by Cleveland,Clinton,Halls,Sevier County 10 years ago. No one was complaining then. Now that Maryville is winning a lot of people blast them. Maryville is winning because they have a great coaching staff. Interest is at an all time high at Maryville now. It sounds like the same thing is happening at Boyd. Good luck the rest of the season.

825370556[/snapback]

good post thumb

good luck to maryville this season also

Edited by reaction

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boyd Fans

I can remember Tyner beating Boyd 95-3 in 1997. I also remember Greenback used to wear you guys out big time.

As a Maryville fan I can tell you this. When you start winning people will blast you. Boyd has a good program now. Isn't it amazing what a great coaching staff can do?  Maryville was getting their tails whipped by Cleveland,Clinton,Halls,Sevier County 10 years ago. No one was complaining then. Now that Maryville is winning a lot of people blast them. Maryville is winning because they have a great coaching staff. Interest is at an all time high at Maryville now. It sounds like the same thing is happening at Boyd. Good luck the rest of the season.

825370556[/snapback]

you put it exactily right, Good Luck to Maryville.

Life of a private school: when you are losing no one even notices you, but when you put a string of two or three solid years you are recruiting. It is nearly impossible for a private school to have good teams without being accused of cheating. It is actually pretty pathetic. I guess no one can stand to lose to a private school.

"It is nearly impossible for a private school to have good teams without being accused of cheating."

why should the privates be any different than the publics? it is impossible for any school to have good teams without being accused of cheating.

we'll have a party when we finally get people accusing us.

Life of a private school: when you are losing no one even notices you, but when you put a string of two or three solid years you are recruiting.  It is nearly impossible for a private school to have good teams without being accused of cheating.  It is actually pretty pathetic.  I guess no one can stand to lose to a private school.

825371329[/snapback]

Well I will solve your problem, just quit playing us publics and play only other privates that get kids from the same playgrounds that you do. Go DII and stop your whining. End of story, go up or shut up.

Well I will solve your problem, just quit playing us publics and play only other privates that get kids from the same playgrounds that you do. Go DII and stop your whining.  End of story, go up or shut up.

825371427[/snapback]

Go up????? Please, give us some more of that TN coachs' inferiority complex.

Possum, who is whinning? Who needs to shut up? The answer you are thinking of is most likely different than mine and that is ok. All that hsfball is saying is that its a double standard. This is true for some public schools but not all. When public schools are beating private schools its no big deal then a private school puts together 2 or 3 wining seasons and perhaps a state championship and then publics start complaining and accusing. Boyd should win most of their region games next year, the exception tyner, and then the 2A schools will start complaining. If Boyd and other non-DII private schools recruited would they not be dominant in every sport? Boyd has won only 1 football championship 2003, 1 baskettball boys 96' and maybe 1 girl a long time ago, no soccer boys or girls, no baseball, no wrestling, and no golf. If you recruit why not recruit for all sports and not just football. This post was not trying to get public private stuff started but you see how that goes, mention Boyd-Buchanan in the east in people start acting as if they are 5 year olds and not being treated fair.

Life of a private school: when you are losing no one even notices you, but when you put a string of two or three solid years you are recruiting.  It is nearly impossible for a private school to have good teams without being accused of cheating.  It is actually pretty pathetic.  I guess no one can stand to lose to a private school.

825371329[/snapback]

It isn't just privates that get accused of recruiting. Maryville gets accused of it all the time. I remember hearing people accusing Cleveland of recruiting the Chattanooga area when they won those 3 state titles in a row. I also remember people saying Cleveland players were on steroids. Cleveland was winning because of Benny Monroe and great talent. Oak Ridge used to get accused all the time. When you win(Private or Public) you will get accused by every team you beat all the time of cheating.

Possum:

Some enlightenment for you: Boyd gets players the same place you do- from those kids walking the hallways. Why are they in those hallways? 'Cause their parents thought that was the best place for them to be. Don't blame the football program, the school or the TSSAA for decisions that parents made. Nobody whined back in the 70's and 80's about Whitwell stomping Boyd into the ground on a regular basis. Nobody cried "unfair". If a small rural 1A public school like S Pitt can compete, so can most any small rural 1A. S Pitt was by far the best 1A team that I saw last year, they just made couple of mistakes at bad times.

Blaming external circumstances for any activities lack of success NEVER helps!

By the way- one of the kids from the Whitwell area's mom works at the school, another attended middle school elsewhere (niether Boyd or Whitwell) which leaves one kid from your area (who would have gone to Marion anyway) but left in middle school.

My neighbors' son plays basketball in a 5A school that he is zoned for against another neighborhood kid who is in a magnet school across town. It is a result of the mobile society that we are. How many of your friends work in Hamilton Co.?

Could you be mad at them for having their kids in school close to where they are every day?

Sorry 'bout the long post.

Baldcoach,

"Running up the score". I was just pointing out the bias we all tend to have when the shoe is on the other foot. By your post about the Tyner game you have to admit you thought Tyner "ran up the score" on Boyd. A Tyner fan (if credible) gave a pretty solid reason they did not intentially run up the score. Touchdowns by I think 11 different people? He even mentioned the clock rule that for some reason was not initiated. He made a pretty solid argument that Tyner was just that good and Boyd was just that bad regardless whether it was 95 points or 45. If they ran simple running plays with 2nd team, 3rd team, freshmen or whatever, Boyd at some talent level should have been able to stop them. I wasn't there, again if the poster is credible and stated what actually happened. A Whitwell fan thought Boyd "ran up the score" on them. I disagree with that, even including a long pass play if it was executed with several non-starters. Again, I wasn't there and if you say that was the case then so be it. Bottom line, in my opinion neither games were "intentional" routs, but fans from both sides will not agree. I know you did not bring up either game, but you must admit you do not think Boyd ran up the score, but you thought Tyner did.

I'm not against privates per say, I will always think they should not compete for the same championships as publics, not necessarily because of many of the reasons read on here, private schools are different than public schools period. They are just too different in the classrooms, parental involvement, rules, tuition, enrollments, etc. If private schools equalled public schools, I don't think you would see so many parents sacrificing to send their kids to private schools. Something has to be different.

Baldcoach,

"Running up the score". I was just pointing out the bias we all tend to have when the shoe is on the other foot.  By your post about the Tyner game you have to admit you thought Tyner "ran up the score" on Boyd.  A Tyner fan (if credible) gave a pretty solid reason they did not intentially run up the score.  Touchdowns by I think 11 different people?  He even mentioned the clock rule that for some reason was not initiated.  He made a pretty solid argument that Tyner was just that good and Boyd was just that bad regardless whether it was 95 points or 45.  If they ran simple running plays with 2nd team, 3rd team, freshmen or whatever, Boyd at some talent level should have been able to stop them. I wasn't there, again if the poster is credible and stated what actually happened.  A Whitwell fan thought Boyd "ran up the score" on them.  I disagree with that, even including a long pass play if it was executed with several non-starters.  Again, I wasn't there and if you say that was the case then so be it.  Bottom line, in my opinion neither games were "intentional" routs, but fans from both sides will not agree.  I know you did not bring up either game, but you must admit you do not think Boyd ran up the score, but you thought Tyner did.

I'm not against privates per say, I will always think they should not compete for the same championships as publics, not necessarily because of many of the reasons read on here, private schools are different than public schools period.  They are just too different in the classrooms, parental involvement, rules, tuition, enrollments, etc.  If private schools equalled public schools, I don't think you would see so many parents sacrificing to send their kids to private schools.  Something has to be different.

825372265[/snapback]

Csense,

Good post. Congratulations on your 500th post! BTW, the Rams were going to make someone pay for the whipping they took at the hands of Melrose in the Clinic Bowl game the previous year. (Remember the "gold shoes" game?) It just so happened that BBS was next on the schedule. They had at least two big-time D-1 players on their roster (if you call Vandy and Georgia Tech big-time). They also had a relatively small squad (only about 35 players or so). BBS had lost a great group of seniors (Blair, Talley, Chamberlin, etc). All of this added up to 95-3. It could probably have been worse.

On the other hand, Tyner did not fair catch punts (which they could have done), they continued to run mis-direction plays (a staple of the wing-t they employed at the time), and they really did not take their foot off the gas on defense either.

An interesting footnote: does anyone remember that BBS actually led in this game 3-0 on a Jeffrey Maddux field goal?

My son was a Buc freshman playing in his first high sxhool game and hid from the coaches in the fourth quarter so he wouldn't have to go in the game! Can't say that I blame him. (Sorry Big D!)

Edited by supersteve17

here's a question to ponder....i guess from the inside looking out. Compared to the other chattanooga 1a schools (Temple, CCS, Grace), does BBS catch most of the heat in the public/private debate? what i mean is, hasn't Temple, CCS, and Grace had successful sports programs? where are they in this debate becuase i really haven't heard opinions regarding them. is there a bias against BBS beacuse of the football team, solely? am i wrong in thinking this?