BGA walk-off homer?

salty

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grannan has been at Byrne for a while -- my guess is that he's tied an Arkansas (or Mississippi) school in a non-region game sometime, and that it didn't get broken. I know in Arkansas, they don't play overtime for non-conference games. He may have simply assumed Tennessee was the same way. You have to respect that he owns up to his mistake in the Commercial Appeal article.

I think a team achieving a tie is very under rated it is a very fulfilling emotion for the kids to come away with that glorious feeling that you have stood up and fought hard and achieved something very significant i mean after all winning isn't everything

Signed

Warren Counties Head Coach :D

* for those that need explanation wc hasn't won a game in years

Like the question that I posed earlier: Did the official or BGA coaching staff try to get the Bishop Byrne coach to play the overtime? I think that the official wanted to get a shower and drink several cold sodas and the BGA staff was looking for their 1st win of the season any way possible. This is really a sad situation that could have been prevented if handled properly.

Edited by cbg

I think a team achieving a tie is very under rated it is a very fulfilling emotion for the kids to come away with that glorious feeling that you have stood up and fought hard and achieved something very significant i mean after all winning isn't everything

Signed

Warren Counties Head Coach  :)

* for those that need explanation wc hasn't won a game in years

825379571[/snapback]

I could not agree more with the above post

Signed

Red Boiling Springs head Coach

Like the question that I posed earlier:  Did the official or BGA coaching staff try to get the Bishop Byrne coach to play the overtime?  I think that the official waned to get a shower and drink several cold sodas and the BGA staff was looking for their 1st win of the season any way possible.  This is really a sad situation that could have been prevented if handled properly.

825379702[/snapback]

I seriously hope you aren't trying to say that BGA had anything at all to do with Byrne leaving the field. If the BGA staff could have played the game, they would have played the game.

Even if the officials did want to "drink cold sodas," it doesn't matter. They aren't there to give opinions about the rules--instead they are there to enforce them.

BGA shouldn't have any say in what Bishop Byrne decides to do. If Byrne wants to quit and leave the field without fulfilling its obligation, it is entitled to do that. Only I hope the TSSAA penalizes them to the fullest extent- so an example can be made for schools that might consider this venture to keep from losing a game in the future. The guy at Byrne can't use ignorance of a rule as an excuse. Ignorance is, in fact, not bliss.

I think you need to re-work your sentence, because it sounds like you are saying BGA could have prevented this from happening. I think not.

yeah. its pretty bad that a team with so little talent beat you in the state championship last year

825380015[/snapback]

wow ydet that was a knee slapper... they did indeed beat catholic.. so what.. they had so much more talent last year than what they have now.. this time last year the name BGA was a scary one to see on your schedual... so don't be like that man that just shows you have no class.

wow ydet that was a knee slapper... they did indeed beat catholic.. so what.. they had so much more talent last year than what they have now.. this time last year the name BGA was a scary one to see on your schedual... so don't be like that man that just shows you have no class.

825380026[/snapback]

To me, BGA would still be scary to have on your schedule, even though they are having a down year. Every team once in awhile has a down year. BGA has great respect amongst all TN high school teams, and play with class. And hey, let's face it, when was the last time you'd put "Catholic" and "scary" in the same sentence? Humm, prolly about 10 years ago.