Weekly Carter County Top Five

coachh17

1. Elizabethton-AA (Back To Back Sub-State Appearances, Solid Group Returns)

2. Unaka-A (Return Everything From State Tournament Team)

3. Happy Valley-AA (Lost Some Key Players, Williams, Dugger, and Powell Return)

4. Cloudland-A (Can They Challenge Unaka?)

5. Hampton-AA (Still A Dangerous Team, Will Miss Gardner)

Five pretty good teams for one county. Let the fun begin!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Elizabethton-AA (Back To Back Sub-State Appearances, Solid Group Returns)

2. Unaka-A (Return Everything From State Tournament Team)

3. Happy Valley-AA (Lost Some Key Players, Williams, Dugger, and Powell Return)

4. Cloudland-A (Can They Challenge Unaka?)

5. Hampton-AA (Still A Dangerous Team, Will Miss Gardner) 

Five pretty good teams for one county. Let the fun begin!

825382054[/snapback]

Rikki, Michaela, Valneesha return; three good starters indeed; and a great bunch stepping up. Is the plan to try Redd at the point, or will Courtney or Crapps be ready?

HOWEVER: Unaka returns seven seniors who played in Murfreesboro, plus Sallee Taylor, Meghan Johnson, Erica Wilson, Tess Lunsford and Tiffany Babb.

Based on last season's comparrisons with Unicoi County being very interesting (though the Cyclones did beat the Weaver-Less Blue Devils in tournament play); and the fact that EHS lost four seniors; Bishop, Dykes, Koffeld and 6 ft. Forbes; it would appear that Unaka should enter the season ahead of Elizabethton if for no other reason than guard experience - both Osborne and Ensor are outstanding - at least in early season. I feel certain that Crapps will be very good, but again the experienced guards of Unaka.

Cloudland returns the strongest and fastest female ever to set foot in the school, Jessica McGuire. She is stronger than a lot of the guys. That means a lot when you are playing post. They also return their guards, plus a very talented Jessica Mathis returns from Minnesota. The guards have slimmed down and are quicker than last year. The wings are shooting better and Cloudland will be better in the paint than they were last year. Unaka is still the team to beat, but I think Cloudland will challenge them for conference.

KRich:

You're right. Unaka should start the season at least as a co-number one with the cyclones. But I understand coachh17's thinking, he's biased, as he should be as one of the cyclone coaches! How is Unaka's schedule this year?

I know Elizabethton has definitely upgraded their schedule alot and will be pressed to match last years wins, but come tournament time, they should be battle tested.

As for the cyclones lineup, in my opinion (as a fan), I would expect Redd to start at point and Crapps at the two guard. Crapps should fit well at two guard where her scoring will come more naturally than at point. Redd has the quickness and athleticism to excel at point. The starting three position will likely be filled by Hopson, a sophomore, who has a great feel for the game. Nobody in the area will be stronger at the four and five positions with Baughman and Pietrowski. The bench will be talented, but young. Treadway (6 ft Jr) can play wing or post and is a pure shooter. Bush (soph) is a quality post. Norris (Sr-wing) is tough and a good shooter. The rest will be first year varsity players but the talent is there.

coaches corner,

I think we're in agreement; and in fact, I think Elizabethton will be THE team to beat when tournament action begins; and that's saying a lot, because of the depth of that region. I'm just so excited it's almost time to play ball; and this, coming from a die-hard FOOTBALL fan.

I'm basing my *very unbiased* :lol: opinion on the beginning of the season because any number of positive or negative factors can contruibute over the long season: Injuries and development are critical.

Unaka must get half-step quicker (for tournament play), but overall they're loaded.

The Cyclones? Valneesha can fly. Can she be consistent? Bush will be a very good player; she's smart, strong and will develop very quickly. But that's the key at EHS. Wilson will play lots of players, and early, to gain experience. How many of them will be tournament-ready?

I won't offer a position-by-position comparison here. I would give overall favor to UHS, based solely on their many years as a unit. If this sounds unfair to the Cyclones, well, it probably is, but you and I know they're going to be outstanding. So much of the pre-season picks is determined by returning players, or as importantly, how many were lost; and since UHS lost none and EHS lost four, well, it would also be a little unfair to the graduates to suggest that the new ones are already better.

I only wish that like Unicoi, EHS would play UHS. The Unicoi vs UHS series has been outstanding. Last year: Unicoi won both: one overtime and one three pointer.

And KING, I'm still recruiting one of your Highlanders. :P Oh, and don't dare forget Chelsea Wright and the Huskies. They'll give both Unaka and the Highlanders all they want.

Can anyone stop Chelsea Wright? I don't know if Robbie tolley could guard her. And Krich, you leave my Highlander alone. :D

825393479[/snapback]

She's a real trooper, Wright. I wouldn't be surprised to see her make all-state.... in two sports.

And I can't leave your Highlander alone; I'm crazy about her.

Oh, and I'm probably talking about a Highlander that you don't yet know about.

So figure that one out, King :D

Edited by krichunaka

Then you can have that one. :ph34r:

Is Chelsea Wright about 6 feet? She towered over our post players last year and when she did get the ball, we could do nothing with her. Trust me, McGuire is bigger than our tailbacks and she couldn't guard her by herself. Wright reminds me of Jennifer Weems of the late 90's that dominated at North Greene. It seems to be the same situation, with no one around her to help carry the team.

No doubt Wright is a good player, but she can't score if she doesn't get the ball. Elizabethton beat North Greene at Coastal Carolina this summer, by about 30 points. By pressuring the guards and denying Wright the ball, she could not control the game. If her teammates develop, it may not be as easy to concentrate on her. Time will tell.