Region 8A

ladyk

I'm from Lake Co. and they don't just return some of their players..Lake Co. returns all their starters along with their top 4 or 5 subs off the bench..Lake Co. went to about 4 different camps in the summer,played Ark,Missouri,and Tenn. schools and had a very good camp..They beat teams such as Ripley, Crockett Co, etc,.and played several Single A teams and didn't lose to any of them..Lake Co. defeated South Fulton and beat USJ by about 30 to 40 points..From talking to Coach Whitby,he thought Middleton was the best Single A team he played,and thought Middleton had more talent than Lake Co even though Lake Co won against them by about 9 points..I believe Middleton has 4 starters back...Anyway,I look for Trenton to be the main competitor for the district championship because of their size and Bradford and Halls to also be in the mix..I think Lake Co has the size with Justin (Poppa) Clay,about 6'5 and LaShaun Mays,6'2",a 235 lb.bull inside..Tony Tyler,a lightning quick,point guard is back along with one of the best shooters in the area,Jamar Mays..Mays can light it up from NBA range..Also back at the other guard spot is James Warlick,about 6'1..Off the bench,Theo Clark,a 6'3 jumping jack,Sep Valentine,a magician dribbling the ball,and Andrew Wallace ,a 6'2 shooter ,could all start for most Single A teams...Lake Co.also has a freshman,Channin Geanes,that has everyone excited.. Lake Co.will only lose two starters from this year's team.

825401582[/snapback]

Jimmy Whitby told me two years ago that he felt 2004-05 (this season) to be the year that Lake County had a shot at winning the state title. The Falcons are loaded.

Edited by sportsradiotn

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that Union City is dropping down too and will be in District 15. (praise god a 5th team). If both are in Region 8 then it will be one of the most (if not the most) competitive regions in single A.

Lake Co. is going to be awfully tough this year. Whitby has done a heck of a job up there and those boys are going to be one of the teams to beat come March. I think that Halls will be a lot better than some people think. Winston Jarret (along with Bryant Driver) is one of the best in the business at getting his team to play. Just about all of the guards have perfected the shot that is about 2 feet in front of the 3 pt line (a horrible shot in my opinion). It is going to a really fun Region Tourney w/ those two teams, Trenton, Greenfield, and South Fulton.

You're right, jvaughan. Region 8 is already a competitive, very exciting region, but if you add Union City in the mix, Region 8 goes from extremely competitive to dominating. If I'm not mistaken, Union City will lose only one senior in 2005, well-known baller, Antawn Coby. He is definitely one awesome player, but they'll still have Xavier Robinson, Marquis Weddle, and others who will definitely turn some heads in 1A ball (as they do in 2A). Shane Sisco does a great job with them every year. They're always ready to make some noise!

LadyK I mean no disrespect to Halls. They have a great program, but someone has to finish 5th. Based on returning players that is just my prediction. All of the district 16 teams have a chance to advance. I still think Middle College is the wildcard. They have 2 kids, if Romeo returns, that other teams will have a hard time guarding, and they could win the darn thing. If he is not back then I would pick them 5th. That is how good he is. Trenton with Doaks, other big kids and a ton of athletes, will be difficult to match up with. Lake Co can score from anywhere and has the most depth. Halls does have plenty of talent but lacks size, as always, and doesn't have the go-to guy like they have had in the past few years - in my opinion. Bradford has lots of talent back. You may see the most improved player in the district in Russell to go along with Thetford and Tate. The coaching change will benefit them because maybe now they will play some defense and add some guys who weren't playing. Lots of sophs. to help out that will make them a good team. I look for an exciting year from District 16.

Now I may have to change my prediction on 15A if S Fulton has had a mass exodus. Have no idea who has left the team but regardless no one should replace Greenfield as #1 there. The rest could be a tossup.

Good luck to Halls, ladyK

I never went to USJ.....but Benson was not that whole team...Franklin Payne and Andy Meltcalf made that team too...The following year they made it back to the region and played bad against an overrated Halls team with just Franklin and Andy....which both of them are playing D I sports.....Franklin is playing football there and could play baseball and basketball as well because hes that good.....And Andy is at Memphis playing soccer and was the leading scoreer in Conference USA last year as a freshman and could play football and basketball too....So know your stuff my man!

I never went to USJ.....but Benson was not that whole team...Franklin Payne and Andy Meltcalf made that team too...The following year they made it back to the region and played bad against an overrated Halls team with just Franklin and Andy....which both of them are playing D I sports.....Franklin is playing football there and could play baseball and basketball as well because hes that good.....And Andy is at Memphis playing soccer and was the leading scoreer in Conference USA last year as a freshman and could play football and basketball too....So know your stuff my man!

825405055[/snapback]

Judging by your thing at the bottom I thought that you might have went there.

Anyways I said that he carried USJ to make a point. One player (Trey Pearson) does not make team. And apparently you agree with me by your arguement about Franklin and Andy.

Halls was any thing but overrated that year. They made it to the semis of the state by beating #1 ranked Pickett County and then gave Ezell Harding all they could handle til about 2 mins left.

And what's this about they are playing D-1 sports? They are not playing D-1 basketball so I don't see where that fits in. So they are good athletes. Good football players and soccer players are a regular out of USJ. Benson stands by himself.

Anyways in a nut shell to show that I know my stuff and someone doesn't I give you the scoreboard of state tournament appearances for the last 10 years:

Region 8: 9 Region 7: 1

But look on the bright side, you always got football.

Edited by jvaughan

Puff and Ballin4,

This is ladyk. Puff you're first. I know someone has to place 5th, and I know someone has to be the first, second, third, and fourth. All I'm stating is that just because we don't have the go to guy we've had for the past few years doesn't mean we're not going to be in the running. Okay, you placed Halls fifth in the region. You know Coach Jarrett is a really great coach, and he hasn't placed fifth in the region in years. I'm not saying they're going to be #1 or #2. I'm just saying don't count them out yet. But I guess we'll wait until the season starts to see, uh! Now as for Ballin4, Halls has never been overrated. Its hard for this little school in this small town to get any recognition. Just last year, we had a player named Dane Strayhorn who we thought should have been in the running for Mr. Basketball, but he never was even mentioned. He didn't even receive the District 16 MVP award (what a robbery might I add!). So don't ever say our team is overrated when its hard for us to receive any recognition on anything! :)

Just last year, we had a player named Dane Strayhorn who we thought should have been in the running for Mr. Basketball, but he never was even mentioned. He didn't even receive the District 16 MVP award (what a robbery might I add!).

825405795[/snapback]

Strayhorn not winning at least the District 16 MVP was the most rediculous thing I have ever seen!