MBA vs. Riverdale

stephenzca

I think Riverdale is an outstanding football program and i enjoy watching them and am actually hoping they wi the state this year but i truly believe that some you riverdale fans not the players, or coaches but the fans have to be some of the most petty people on this web site you all argue and bicker and cry about everything, just accept who your team plays go out and support them every Friday and hope they win, stop whinning all the time

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Riverdale is an outstanding football program and i enjoy watching them and am actually hoping they wi the state this year but i truly believe that some you riverdale fans not the players, or coaches but the fans have to be some of the most petty people on this web site you all argue and bicker and cry about everything, just accept who your team plays go out and support them every Friday and hope they win, stop whinning all the time

825394619[/snapback]

What in the world are you talking about? Riverdale fans never start these threads. I am perfectly happy with the schedule as is- We play Lincoln County every year, which is one of the most consistent and classy programs in the state. Dickson County has a proud tradition as well. One team can not play everybody.

It is always the private school supporters who get on here and whine about why Riverdale won't play them. I wish they would just get over it, but that does not appear likely. MBA and BA and others have great traditions and really good football teams. So does Riverdale. IF they play , they play. IF they don't, they don't. Aren't there more important things to worry about?

Riverdale[/url'>' date='Oct 22 2004 - 03:41 PM']Aren't you so funny.  Sounds like Warrior envy to me.  Now, blow a gasket and offer a retort.

825394932[/snapback]

I don't think I have any gaskets, so it'll be hard to blow one. :lol:

I was just offering a halfway-facetious hypothesis about a situation we'll never get to see anyway. I respect Riverdale a ton, but I have no reason to be jealous of them, what with Brentwood Academy owning 9 state titles, the winningest coach in state history, and a 1-0 record against the Warriors.

No ill will towards the Warrior nation. I was just having a little fun. :o

I think many people do not understand why schools like MBA offer financial aid.  Anyone who thinks it’s solely for athletic purposes is largely disillusioned.

MBA’s Form 990s are available for free on the internet.  For fiscal year 2003, the average student receiving financial aid at MBA was still paying well over $7,000 out of his own pocket to attend school at MBA.  That’s a high price to pay for what, a 3-5% chance to play college ball.  The general consensus from the uninformed out there is that financial aid students are lavished with “freebies”.  That’s the farthest thing from the truth.  I have a hard time buying into the presumption that MBA has the pick of the litter for athletes given the academic requirements and the financial requirements (even after need for aid is assessed and applied) at the school. 

MBA has had some players on aid over the years, of course.  There’s no denying what has been public record.  However, take those select few out of the mix, and many of you would be shocked at who remains on the teams.  Teams still would have had to contend with a high-school All-American QB who was on all the big school recruiting lists and would eventually start for a SEC powerhouse before being “Zooked” away to the 1-AA ranks.  Teams still would have had to contend with a LB who is currently starting for the Chicago Bears and who, after his years of making that god-awful two-mile drive to MBA, would become the leading tackler in the SEC his senior season and would be Vanderbilt’s first first-team Academic All-American in 20 years.  Teams still would have had to contend with a FB who, after his four years of being student body president at MBA, would become a valuable member of a UT football team that would win a national title in football.  The list goes on.

I have done (and provided on this site) exhaustive work on where MBA kids live, yet people still find a way to ignore this data and toot about MBA “scanning the globe” for talent.  I have provided information (and information that could be readily gleaned from MBA’s website, at that) about the academic accomplishments of MBA’s athletes (e.g., over the past two years, roughly 20% of the senior football players have been named National Merit Semifinalists or Commended Students), yet people somehow conveniently ignore the question of what schools can boast similar statistics for their entire male, senior student bodies that match those of just MBA’s athletes.  While not every player who has ever played ball at MBA is a future Rhodes Scholar who lives on Golf Club Lane, I think MBA has earned the benefit of the doubt in determining the typical profile of its student-athletes.

MBA is not perfect – far, far from it, and I hope people understand that some of us carry the banner for MBA not in a boastful way – although it may appear that way to some – but more so for defensive purposes because of the constant potshots (and in some cases, libel) by naysayers.  And we certainly did not invent the game of football (I think we all know by now that Maryville and that “GQ” guy did, though).  But, while I’ve given up any hope that people on the other side of the fence will change their opinions of private schools and the way they operate, I do remain hopeful that the people on that other side of the fence may start differentiating between how different private schools operate.  Not all private schools are created the same.  The actions, perceived or real, of a few are not automatically transferable to others.

To the topic hand, Riverdale vs. MBA would be a great annual matchup.  Heck, MBA vs. D-B was a great two-year series a few years ago that was friendly, evenly-matched, and well-attended.  I’d welcome either or both of those matchups, and, despite my allegiances, know that they would be good, hard-fought matchups each year.

As guilty as I am for public/private overtones, we need to move back to the topic.

825394608[/snapback]

That was a great speech. I don't disagree with any of it. The topic at hand...however...is why don't MBA and Riverdale play? I think you may have answered the question. MBA is an aid giving school in their own league (it really doesn't matter if 1 or 50). If you give aid...you are in DII. Riverdale is a public 5a school that chooses not to play DII teams. There are many DI publics with the same thinking.

You gave us a great speech on how fortunate and how smart your kids are. Hey...that's great. It's just that you are going to have to play mostly schools like yours. Very few DI publics are going to play you. Right or wrong...that's the way it is. Just a word of advice...worry about BA, Christian Brothers, McCallie, Baylor, MUS, and Father Ryan. Those are teams in YOUR division.

All I have heard since the super 7 was begun...is how much better you are than 4a and 5a teams. Why can't you be content with that? Why do you constantly have to throw barbs at Riverdale and other 5a publics? I guess we'll just have to wonder who would win.

Edited by Antwan

back to the original topic...people have mentioned the scrimmage the two had this summer...but id ont think anyone has mentioned how badly Riverdale destroyed them....it got ugly fast TD's were like 10-1 or something outrageous like that....and no that wasnt Rankin playin his starters just to run it up

825395046[/snapback]

That scrimmage was the second that Riverdale has won out of the seven years it has been played. I would hope that the best team in 5A could beat a team that lost an All State Tailback, his back up, All State QB, and All State defensive lineman in the three days before it.

That was a great speech.  I don't disagree with any of it.  The topic at hand...however...is why don't MBA and Riverdale play?  I think you may have answered the question.  MBA is an aid giving school in their own league (it really doesn't matter if 1 or 50).  If you give aid...you are in DII.  Riverdale is a public 5a school that chooses not to play DII teams.  There are many DI publics with the same thinking. 

You gave us a great speech on how fortunate and how smart your kids are.  Hey...that's great.  It's just that you are going to have to play mostly schools like yours.  Very few DI publics are going to play you.  Right or wrong...that's the way it is.  Just a word of advice...worry about BA, Christian Brothers, McCallie, Baylor, MUS, and Father Ryan.  Those are teams in YOUR division.

All I have heard since the super 7 was begun...is how much better you are than 4a and 5a teams.  Why can't you be content with that?  Why do you constantly have to throw barbs at Riverdale and other 5a publics?  I guess we'll just have to wonder who would win.

825395007[/snapback]

Note (through checking my post history) that I haven't thrown barbs at Riverdale, nor have I questioned if it is Riverdale who is turning down a Riverdale-MBA, Riverdale-BA, or Riverdale-any DIIAAA school matchup. I certainly realize that there are few opportunities for all schools when it comes to non-region matchups. And I do worry about our region opponents. MUS will be a tough load for MBA to handle tonight.

Also, my intent was not to promote the virtues of MBA kids. Many may be fortunate, but most schools have at least some fortunate kids, and I certainly think about and wish the best for kids and families who are not fortunate. Please don't confuse backing up one's side of the argument with hard data (something that, quite frankly, many anti-private people do not do) with an elitist attitude.

Harris, the 2004 scrimmage result has been discussed - on this thread even. Riverdale smacked MBA. Riverdale was much better than MBA then, and probably still is now. But if we're going to rest on our laurels on scrimmages, maybe I should resurrect the MBA-Riverdale Scrimmage Thread From 2003 and let the MBA fans get the shots in now that they didn't take last year.

Edited by rollredroll

I don't think I have any gaskets, so it'll be hard to blow one.  B)

I was just offering a halfway-facetious hypothesis about a situation we'll never get to see anyway.  I respect Riverdale a ton, but I have no reason to be jealous of them, what with <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> owning 9 state titles, the winningest coach in state history, and a 1-0 record against the Warriors.

No ill will towards the Warrior nation.  I was just having a little fun.  B)

825394958[/snapback]

That is how I took it. This thing could get boring without a little back and forth. thumb