Tennessee High state champions

wrestlingcoach

B) Calm down PAPA… I understand your frustration. I’m sure it’s heard to believe that someone isn’t backing down with your usual talk of how great your tradition is and how many state championships you have had in the past… but it’s true. Our fans (for the most part) are not buying into this “We Are The World” crap you guys lay on so thick.

By the way… I said and I quote “being big and strong and well coach isn’t enough to win in this era… you must have the stand out athletes”.  What I was referring to is that most teams in this era at the high school level have great weight programs that mirror one another.  There are also a lot of great coaches with Great programs, philosophies and staffs through out the state. At that point… what gives one team a decisive edge would be their talent level any given year. That is something that even the Great coach at Maryville can’t control. That’s what I feel gives us an advantage over your team this year. And that’s meaning no disrespect to your coaches, players, or program. That’s My opinion from the reports that I’ve heard.  thumb

825423135[/snapback]

Shelly,

Sorry buddy, I'm calm now. It was just an early Monday morning and the first thing I saw when I got into the office was a lot of stuff about MHS on this thread. I'm cranky on Mondays and that got me fired up.

Quite honestly I didn't take the time to go back and see who said what or to get the quotes exactly straight. I just ran with the impression that the words I read left in my mind. Perhaps I took your statement the wrong way. So thanks for the clarification and for the kind words about our program.

But, since we are pointing out one another's errors....go find where I've ever mentioned all of our past championships at MHS. I am by this standard a poor fan in the sense that I don't even know the answer to that question. So, one good turn deserves another.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, Alright... I've been away from the computer for awhile, and now I am here to voice my opinion and to share some important points. I deserve all the ribbing that I got, and I will admit that I have been arrogant. I will be the first to say that if we play Maryville the same way we played MoWest, then we will come away with a loss. We made stupid decisions and did not play with any fire. These bad decisions led to penalties that directly affected three actual touchdowns that were called back, when the actions of the penalties would not have changed the outcome of the touchdown. These stupid penalties resulted in a very low point total and could have cost us the game, but luckily this was a first round matchup and not a fourth round matchup. No disrespect to Morristown West, because they came out ready to play, much more so than we did. You would think that the boys would be fired up remembering last year's beating, but the fire was not there. MoWest was very well prepared and made the very best out of what they had. On top of all this, I think the coaches were extremely conservative in their play calling. They did not care about the score as much as they just wanted to come away with a victory at any cost against a team that we have not had a good past against.

I have seen two separate teams from the Vikings this year, and it is hard to say which one is going to show up what time. When this team plays hard mistake free football, they can and will beat anyone, but if they play like they have against a few teams this year... with no emotion, fire, or drive.. then they will go home early and waste all the potential that they have. Maybe this was good for the Vikings, who needed a close game to get them back to reality, maybe it will wake them up... bad news for the Rebels.

Hopefully this will be our ONE and ONLY letdown in the playoffs, just as Maryville fans have stated that last year's team had a letdown against MoWest. I think though, that after friday's game, the Vikings will pick it back up to their usual form. To all the fans who are pointing to the 17-6 score vs. Maryville's 38-0 score, I will say this:

Tennessee High most definitely had a let down, and do not think that these score comparisons will be indicative of the outcome of the Maryville vs. Tennessee High game. Region 1 swept Region 2, and MoWest is #4 seed from Region 2. Tennessee High has dominated everyone in Region 1, so go figure. Let it be decided on the field...

Well said bidVIKEdaddy!! I just got a lot of respect for ya bud. I think what we have here is two sets of fans very passionate about their programs. Along the way, we're learning respect for one another and each other's programs.

I think we have 90% of the BS outta the way now. We can save the real mud slingin for Round 4...when and IF it ever gets here for either of us. So, moving on. Bigvike, you seem to know a lot about THS. Fill us in on the key players and how ya'll scheme on O and D....

Edited by dmoyers1

Well said bidVIKEdaddy!!  I just got a lot of respect for ya bud.  I think what we have here is two sets of fans very passionate about their programs.  Along the way, we're learning respect for one another and each other's programs.

I think we have 90% of the BS outta the way now.  We can save the real mud slingin for Round 4...when and IF it ever gets here for either of us.  So, moving on.  Bigvike, you seem to know a lot about THS.  Fill us in on the key players and how ya'll scheme on O and D....

825423335[/snapback]

Wouldn't that be giving away the trade secrets??? Don't do it Daddy!

Wouldn't that be giving away the trade secrets??? Don't do it Daddy!

825423350[/snapback]

I think it'll be alright...

To be basic, we run the Wing T in offense and we beat a team with our speed, and thus far no one has been able to catch up with us. But don't let that fool you, we have an excellent qb who is one of top three fastest on the team, and can put the ball on a dime when he needs to. We play our defense straight up relying on our front four to give lots of pressure. We have two of the best defensive ends in the state who don't give the qb's much time back there, and it has showed.

:huh: Wow!! When I logged back on I had to hit refresh a couple of times to make sure I was on the same thread! What is this … halftime or something?! You guys are going to have to straighten up or I will have to find another thread to hijack. thumb

BIGVDADDY go to the South vs. THS thread when you get a chance. This VOLMANSCOTT character is driving me nuts!!!! :angry:

You didn’t hear that 03. ;)

Well, we have a very mulitple offense. We have a veteran QB who is given a lot of free reign to check to whatever the defense is giving. We have two scat backs and two straight ahead runners. All but one have put up multiple 100 yard games. A couple of games, we had two put up 100+ yards each. All can catch outta the backfield. Our receivers are tall, lanky, deceptively fast and have soft hands. All have the run after the catch ability and are always working for extra yardage. I don't mean this to be smart: we're good at all aspects on offense. We can throw underneath, or over the top. We run screens, pitch outs and reverses. Our backs all like running up the middle or bouncing it outside. Our O line is just incredible. As good as any small college. They should be recruited as a unit.

Defense. We have arguably the best two DE's in the state. Their big and fast and know how to find QB's. Our D line is quick, knows the swim and they all get off the block well. Our DB's are mostly starting WR's too, so they have good hands and are fast. One had 3 INT's against Central's QB this season. Our LB's have had to really step up because we have had attrition bite us there. I can't tell any difference now though. No one will beat us to the corner. You're better off running up the middle and taking your lumps. We stuff the run well. We're getting better against the underneath pass.

Kicking is amazing. Central got one run back in the whole game against us for 10 yards. Our field goal kicker is good from 55. Our punter is laser accurate and averages 40 to 45 I'd say. Depth is our thing though man. We out-energy most teams.

We haven't seen the wing T this year I don't think....could be interesting!!

:o Wow D1 … it looks like the game is on!! Your O sounds much like our as far as personnel goes with the exception of our WRs. They are of average height but are lightning fast and very athletic. Our QB is passing for over 70% with only 3 interceptions all year. He loves to mix it up with the run when he gets the opportunity. We are very deep at RB… 2 elusive slashers, 2 all-purpose backs, and one Dozer, all with breakaway speed. All have TD runs of 60 + (BA had 229 rushing yards against MoWest). Haven’t seen much trickery out of the Vikes this year. Coach Stubbs seems to just pick what he wants to work on in any given game and executes it.

On D our front four are the key… and I have to say you will get an argument when it comes to the DE. The Vikes feature two of the Best in the state (arguably of course). Our linebackers aren’t big but fast and physical (5 interceptions in the last 2 games). Only one DB pulls double duty. He subs in occasionally as a wide out and returns kicks and punts! Two other players off the D occasionally sub in on O. No other Vikings pull double duty.

I’ve heard about your QB… and one of your WR/DB evidently had a big game last week!

I have to say… when I read your last post my mouth flew open! Very impressive!! DREAM TEAM was on the edge of my tongue. That’s probably why you haven’t received a response until now. Theirs nothing like that in these here hills!!

It would be a tragedy if we don’t get to see this game. B) thumb

I agree shelley. If we do get to this game, we'll have to do a face to face. Cokes and popcorn on me!!

The more we talk, the more I think this is a classic match up. Someone in another thread was asking why teams don't line up and run it right at Maryville. I guess I'll answer that here: our linebackers. On a lot of teams, you have great linemen OR great linebackers. We have a unit. What the D line misses, our LB's pick up quickly and vice versa.

If you wanna have success against us, you're gonna have to put it on your QB's shoulders to check off to what our D is giving. In turn, he'll have to know what he's looking at, so game film is important. Sounds like you all are good at everything you do, so it should be interesting.

I don't mean this to be smart, but no RB is gonna gain 225 on us. You'll have to mix it up more than that, is what I'm trying to say. You have speedy WR's, though, so that's a good thing. It's really very interesting shelley.

I guess I just read that analysis of THS football and took it VERY differently... As a Rebel fan I saw that the WingT was coming at us and I thought to myself "well, if this is going to be a game then they had better be even MORE athletic than they've been claiming to be." Why? State championship a couple of years back. We ran up against a WingT from a very very athletic team. I think it was Hillsboro, the first time around. We looked confused for a little while, but it wasn't long until we knew where the ball was going to be and got there quickly. No one has had much success on the ground against MHS in a long time. The best chance against us is passing underneath.

Now, at the same time...I did hesitate just a little bit to make this post simply b/c I've seen us susceptible to the run from the QB spot this year. With the THS QB being a running threat, that could pose some problems.