Tennessee High state champions

wrestlingcoach

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I just read that analysis of THS football and took it VERY differently... As a Rebel fan I saw that the WingT was coming at us and I thought to myself "well, if this is going to be a game then they had better be even MORE athletic than they've been claiming to be." Why? State championship a couple of years back. We ran up against a WingT from a very very athletic team. I think it was Hillsboro, the first time around. We looked confused for a little while, but it wasn't long until we knew where the ball was going to be and got there quickly. No one has had much success on the ground against MHS in a long time. The best chance against us is passing underneath.

Now, at the same time...I did hesitate just a little bit to make this post simply b/c I've seen us susceptible to the run from the QB spot this year. With the THS QB being a running threat, that could pose some problems.

I agree, I think it will be very interesting if THS runs a wing-T. I think that as you alluded, Maryville's greatest ability is to adjust to what they see. Combine that with depth and by the second half Maryville has a huge advantage. I think that for a team to beat Maryville this year they need to get up first, and cause turnovers, mainly control the clock. Maryville has a history of stopping some great running backs from the east ridge boys that went to Nebraska (it was east ridge wasn't it?) to Gerald Riggs to Cassen Jackson.

Dustin Lindsey, Hootie Henderson and even as far back as Kippy Bayless didn't have much fun with us either...

I bet there are some teams that had the time advantage on us this year. It obviously didn't help though. I think even our fans have difficulty coming up with a good plan to stop us.

I'll say this, if you're gonna play clock control football with us, you'd better score at the end of EVERY drive. It takes us mere minutes to score 2 or 3 times. Ask Central. Man, that's still fun!! :D

On the topic of best DE's in the state, here is a little info on the 1, 2 punch that Tenn. High brings:

Zack Morton is 6-2, 220 lbs. and is lightening quick off the ball. He runs very well for his size (I am unsure of his 40 time), and he plays with an aggressiveness that I have not seen matched by any high school player this season. He broke the previous sack record at Tennessee High by game 7, which was 11.5 sacks at the time, and I think he currently has around 16 or 17?

Maurice Whitten, or "Big Mo" as he is known around here, is 6-3, 220 lbs. and is one of the fastest guys on the team. For his size he runs an amazing sub 4.6 40, and hits with punishing force. He broke the previous power clean record by 60 lbs. by doing 340 lbs, which is a record at some D1 colleges right now. He would have the sack record this year if it wasn't for the other DE having 16 or 17.

Both players were a little banged up before last game, and Zack was getting over the flu, so I expect them to be back and healthy for this upcoming game.

Both players are being recruited by ACC/SEC schools but have not yet made a decision.

Obviously their specimens!! I hope their not over-agressive. Having the QB doesn't do much good when the RB is 20 yards down the field with the ball. We also have an amazing O line. It does no good to go into grand detail. I just want you to see them.

If it helps, They came off the field together at West after a series and I thought Michael Munoz, Arron Sears, Cody Douglas, Jason Respert and Albert Toiena were standing in front of me!! That was from 15 rows up in the stands....till that moment I hadn't realized how big they were.

Feel free to say what you want to. It is really tough to tear into some one behind the anonymity of a computer.

I am just saying that Chuck Prugh would not be playing if it were not for injuries on the offensive line at UT.

I was also stating how ludicrous it is to compare an offensive line to a college line. Obviously there is no comparison. If there was, then Chuck, who was a great offensive lineman at Maryville would have walked right into UT and started. And as we all know that is not the case.

Feel free to say what you want to.  It is really tough to tear into some one behind the anonymity of a computer.

I am just saying that Chuck Prugh would not be playing if it were not for injuries on the offensive line at UT.

I was also stating how ludicrous it is to compare an offensive line to a college line.  Obviously there is no comparison.  If there was, then Chuck, who was a great offensive lineman at Maryville would have walked right into UT and started.  And as we all know that is not the case.

825424965[/snapback]

We, well most "we's" anyway, also know what Chuck has been thru in the past year. Your lack of compassion towards that shows what a THOUGHTLESS @ss you are. Tell me, how many Vikings are playing for UT right now....thought so. We average one Rebel per freshman signing class.

Our line is BIG and there's no way you can overstate that. Isn't it time for your warm milk, cookies and afternoon nap?

Edited by dmoyers1