Tennessee High state champions

wrestlingcoach

I have seen both of these teams play up close this year. Tennessee High is better than most Maryville people think they are. They are very sound and well coached especially on defense. Their problem (as everyone else's is) is that Maryville is going to get 21-28 points (at least) on about anyone they play. If the Rebels eliminate the big play from THS's offense, then I think the Vikings will have trouble getting that many points. It should be a very good game though.

Good luck to both teams, I plan on being there the Friday after Thanksgiving.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another point to make about Chuck Prugh is that he DID absolutely walk right in to college and make an impact...at Carson Newman. He didn't start his career at UT. Further, the last coach's report from UT (ps - those guys know more about him and about football than the rest of us on this board combined) says that he could easily start at either guard or center for most teams....just so happens the UT O-line is amazing.

Also, I think that Moyers said our line could rival the lines of most "small" colleges. I may be wrong about that, but I do "think" that's what he said. Obviously no high school team could rival the line of perennial D1 contender. Get real. Yeah, Moyers compared them to the UT O-line but he was clearly exaggerating and being somewhat metaphorical.

Your fans blasted me for making a remark that inadvertently could have offended some of your fans and players on here a week and a half ago. I took that back and apologized profusely. Chuck's illness and his battle back to where he is now has been well publicized. I'd love to see you show a little class and consideration for all that he's been through. Most athletes are not gifted the way that Chuck is. And most never make it to his level. And to reach that level once is a considerable accomplishment. Then to be reduced back to the point of near death and yet return back to that level again is just simply amazing. He should be congratulated and commended and not chided by someone "behind the anonymity of a computer" when it is completely irrelevent anyway.

This Tennessee High Team is a great team scoring many points an holding teams to little or no scoring. On the other hand playing competitive opponents would help them back up all the hype of all the fans and players. If you want respect then play Dobbyns Bennet, Cleveland, Maryville, Knox Central, or other teams with year in and year out good teams. Morristown West is down this year, but what would have happened last year to Tennessee High? Not saying they can't do it, but all roads to the Gold Ball Dance comes through region 3-4A. Until last year almost every year for 13 years a team from region 3-4A played for a Gold Ball. Melrose has the speed to hang with anyone. Coaching ordiscipline is where they might lack the edge. Good luck to all the teams.

I agree, I think it will be very interesting if THS runs a wing-T.  I think that as you alluded, Maryville's greatest ability is to adjust to what they see.  Combine that with depth and by the second half Maryville has a huge advantage.  I think that for a team to beat Maryville this year they need to get up first, and cause turnovers, mainly control the clock.  Maryville has a history of stopping some great running backs from the east ridge boys that went to Nebraska (it was east ridge wasn't it?) to Gerald Riggs to Cassen Jackson.

825424868[/snapback]

;) Anyone that has seen the wing-T executed correctly knows that it is a thing of beauty to see. It’s been the O of choice sense coach Stubbs has been at the helm, so the Vikings have become very efficient at it. With the stable of backs that THS possesses… it’s very difficult to key on one player… and unless one of them is having a break out game, the coaches have been really good about spreading the love. In the EAST game they had three backs with 87+ yards… and the 87 was BA. THS ended the night with 378 yards total O. This was against what was at the time the 7th ranked team in the state. I KNOW BEFORE YOU SAY IT … We haven’t seen a defense like the REBELS possess or have played against… and you are right! But for the record… THS posted the same identical number against MoWest (378 yards). Not playing the big games during the regular season does pose what I think may be a problem if we play the REBELS… the Vikings have approached most games with a “stop me if you can” mentality. So far no one has been able to meet that challenge… and I haven’t seen them have to make many adjustments at the line of scrimmage. That could be a big problem if they don’t (as you say D1) watch film and prepare accordingly.

The D hasn’t had much trouble controlling the big play. The starting D has only given up 3 touchdowns all year that I can remember. Cherokee broke a long run (I don’t remember how long), 5A opponent Johnson City cut loose for a 36 yard TD run, and MoWest went in on a 4 yard pass. Don’t let this fool you… East’s lives or dies on the deep pass. They ran out of the shotgun the entire game. The QB never took a snap from under center. Definitely a test for our linebackers and secondary. Johnson City tried all night long to complete the long pass over top without success.

Good beginning 03...why'd you have to go and ruin at the end. Two poor snaps. Here's your opportunity...dawg Rick clausen too...they need us behind them. More to the point, their all we have...no sense in stating the obvious about plays they wish they could change too.

Nice sentiments mostly...

Edited by dmoyers1

Well, maybe you oughta get your facts straight then my friend. Until Jason and our two frosh QB's are 100%, they are all we have. I guess you'd put Leak in the game, since he's got all those quality snaps in practice lately.

Doesn't matter what any of you think about Chuck...he's a great kid that's overcome a lot in the past year and some months. You said that many folks wished he wasn't playting at UT after Saturday...I was guessing that had more to do with the 2 bad snaps than the way he dresses or the muscis he likes....

Say what ya mean....

Obviously their specimens!!  I hope their not over-agressive.  Having the QB doesn't do much good when the RB is 20 yards down the field with the ball.  We also have an amazing O line.  It does no good to go into grand detail.  I just want you to see them. 

If it helps, They came off the field together at West after a series and I thought Michael Munoz, Arron Sears, Cody Douglas, Jason Respert and Albert Toiena were standing in front of me!!  That was from 15 rows up in the stands....till that moment I hadn't realized how big they were.

825424907[/snapback]

I have heard how good the Maryville O-line is this year, and it will be a good match up if this game takes place in a couple of weeks. From the sound of it, you all have quite an impressive team, and I am looking forward to seeing this game settled on the field and not on paper. But, speaking of stuff on paper, do you have any idea how big some of the guys on the O-line are, and are they all returning starters from last year?

03, up until this point you and I have gotten along. You're not significant enough for me to quote or misquote you. I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to say. That wouldn't be too hard considering I'm not sure YOU know what you're trying to say...don't think for a second your important enough for me to take the time to scheme a way to twist your words....please B)

We have a lot of returners from last year daddy. Most importantly, they've played together all their lives. They've been together since pee wee and midget ball. I'm with you, I hope we get ot see this game thumb