JCS @ USJ

ctshizzle

Huntingdon played Lexington a 3a school BTW with a very balanced offense...and a much higher caliber 3a school than USJ or JCS played and won that one by 3 touchdowns....as far as 2a...no one other than Mckenzie is balanced...but then again who have you played that's all rush??...you must see my point...which is you'll bring balance...we'll bring the run...and we'll see who comes out the winner...it'll be the most physical team...and I think we know who that'll be...finesse has nothing over power...not in 2a ball.

825403352[/snapback]

JCS played DCA, the top team in 1A. DCA could take Lexington in a heartbeat.

JCS played West Carroll, and if you look at WV's stats they pop out primarily as a rushing team. However, when these two played WC ironically had more passing yards than JCS but had fewer rushing yards.

If you have a good O-line and a fast back like Weathers for Huntington, then you can make it running the ball in prep football; wouldn't work in college or the NFL, though. Defense is also another factor in this game, and if you can stop the run against a team like Huntington then what happens to Huntington's offense? If you are one-dimensional, then that spells bad luck. For instance, let's consider the JCS/WC game: the stats are deceiving because WC ran the ball more, but got more yardage off of passing because of two wobbly hail mary passes that just happened to be complete. They didn't pass at all on their first two drives and they became very predictable.

It's not like they had to pressure the QB a whole lot because he didn't throw it that much. If you know they're gonna run, then you can just forget about putting more than 3 people more than five yards off the line of scrimmage and just stack the d-line, because they're gonna run.

Being physical is important, but so is technique. Most QBs for most teams at the prep level lack the proper technique to put up significant numbers, so the team has to rely on the runningbacks to carry the game. If you don't believe me, then just look at the stats on www.jacksonsun.com and see how many teams in West TN; only 7 teams on that list have over 1000 yards passing, and most of the teams that don't have double, triple, quadruple, etc. the number of rushing yards in comparison to their passing game.

USJ and JCS are two balanced teams. Get ready for a balanced game.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the biggest game of the year, just between them 2 schools and their fans.  Your reasons point to that.  There is alot of archrivals around west TN, one tv station, and maybe 1390, 101.5 radio and alot of fans from each school thats all.  Everybody else will be at Wal-Mart.  The biggest game of the year to me will be in Lexington.

825403785[/snapback]

There will be more people at the JCS/USJ game than at Wal-Mart on Friday night, I guarentee you.

TRTV+UPN+JEA's station= 3 TV stations this game will be on.

96.5+101.5+1390=1588 (and the known stations that will be at this game)

Don't forget all the Madison, Northside, and JCM students that might show up because their teams (save Madison of course) aren't playing this week. Unless you've been to a previous matchup between these two schools, then you don't understand how big this game will be.

Also, thanks to Black&Blue for pointing out a very important stat that I completely overlooked.

TRTV+UPN+JEA's= 1 station all the same... 96.5 will be at Lexington, just stating facts.  1390 had to bring fireworks so someone may listen to them next year.  My money is still with Wal-Mart.  GO HAWKS!!!!!

825403919[/snapback]

That 1390 comment is hilarious. And he's right that 96.5 doesn't really count - they have reporters at pretty well every game. Technically, they won't be anywhere, but yet will be everywhere.

And there is no way DCA would take Lexington in a heartbeat. Beat them? Maybe - DCA is a good ballclub. But so is Lexington. That actually might be a good one to watch.

From what I've observed, most of your successful private school programs don't do it on athleticism. They do it on coaching and execution. USJ has beaten teams with more athletes this year, but one thing about the Bruins is that you will not out-execute them.

I remember watching Goodpasture beat Westview in the state finals in 2001. When both teams came out onto the field, I thought "no way does Goodpasture keep it close". Westview was bigger, faster, more intimidating...but Goodpasture made no mistakes. That's what really gets me when people gripe about privates recruiting - they almost always beat teams with better athletes along the way to their state titles. What people overlook is the fact that these teams execute well and make very few mistakes.

That 1390 comment is hilarious.  And he's right that 96.5 doesn't really count - they have reporters at pretty well every game.  Technically, they won't be anywhere, but yet will be everywhere.

And there is no way DCA would take Lexington in a heartbeat.  Beat them?  Maybe - DCA is a good ballclub.  But so is Lexington.  That actually might be a good one to watch.

From what I've observed, most of your successful private school programs don't do it on athleticism.  They do it on coaching and execution.  USJ has beaten teams with more athletes this year, but one thing about the Bruins is that you will not out-execute them.

I remember watching Goodpasture beat Westview in the state finals in 2001.  When both teams came out onto the field, I thought "no way does Goodpasture keep it close".  Westview was bigger, faster, more intimidating...but Goodpasture made no mistakes.  That's what really gets me when people gripe about privates recruiting - they almost always beat teams with better athletes along the way to their state titles.  What people overlook is the fact that these teams execute well and make very few mistakes.

825403941[/snapback]

Bored...I think you have it pegged. I`ve watched USJ many times and they win with technique and discipline. I`ve seen them face bigger teams..I`ve seen them face faster teams. USJ plays good fundamental football. They tackle well. They block well. They just are taught well. IMO teams like USJ are great for high school football. Even though they have never won a gold ball they raise the bar for others. Some want to complain, but overall some of the private schools have been able to come from total losers to competitve programs.

If private schools don't recruit what is that other league all about?

They developed it for the programs who do recruit and I can have some respect for those programs such as BGA and Brentwood who actually acknowledged the fact and entered the league, but the schools that reamined in public education and found their way around the rules I have no respect for whatsover.

Sure they stopped for a brief period after the new league was formed, but then they started testing the waters, and when they found there would be no penalties for their actions they went right back to the same old recruiting just in a little sneaker way.

Does anybody remember the few short years when DCA quit recruiting? It was those years when they were not able to compete.

When CPA popped up with all those Division I prospects on one team and dominated single A all the privates thought, "Well if they can do it; we can do it too." and we are back to where we started.

They are winning championships with other communities players, and I personally can not see how can they be proud of that? Sure I think that public schools can compete every now in then when they have that perfect team come along but the privates can have that perfect team year in and year out. I do not think that USJ will fair well against the Huntingdon's and Milan's next year but sooner or later they will have their day as the cycle of talent revolves in those public schools and does not waiver near as much in the private. I have been watching private versus public for several years and this has always been the case.

The only way to take care of the problem is to give them the total boot out! I just wish the TSSAA would step up to the plate and hit that homerun.

Just a few thoughts from a fan who hates to see the rich private sector buy state and regional championships for their school in any classification.

825401045[/snapback]

Monster Man you are clueless. DCA has always been able to compete. They were 5-7 in 1997. That is their only losing record since 1986 or 1987. All six CPA players that signed that year were at CPA in elementary school before CPA even had a football program. If you don't believe me, track down a year book.

As far as DCA goes, 12 of their 15 seniors have been at DCA most of their life. One transfered to DCA from Metro Baptist at the beginning of 9th grade because they didn't have football. Another one came in 9th grade from a public school but didn't play football until his senior year. The third one is a kicker who just came out as a senior and never gets to play. Chris Wooden(tailback) was an offensive lineman when he began playing football in middle school at DCA.

Give the recruiting crap a rest.

As far as USJ/JCS. They are two well coached teams with very good defenses. Should be a big time environment playing for a region championship and home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

and also for anyone who thinks that jcs will beat us in playoffs, maybe maybe not, who knows? but i think that its time for WC to get some respect like the man said on like page 1 or 2, our school is right in the middle of mckenzie, huntingdon, and milan if the kidds that live here in WC school district went here instead of goin to the bigger schools we would have a better chance at winning against big ol private schools that can recruit. but for what we have i think the we are just as capable of beating jcs in the playoffs. GO WC! thumb

USJ should stick to 2A next year and avoid DII. They would be in the DII AA division with Briarcrest and ECS among others. It would be ugly and a real reality check for the Jackson ego. I've always wondered why they didn't play them. They are both private schools with good programs, but that would but a little much to ask of the Bruins.

the only reason you want USJ to win is because JCS beat yall again this year (like they do every year) and you dont want to get beat by them again in the play-off's....but even if USJ does win you'll still get put out of the play-off's by either one of these teams...and to the guy who said about USJ/JCS getting whooped up on by public 2A schools next year....they have been beating public 2A schools for a while in all sports.....quit crying because you all can never win state championships and saying that small private schools recruit...if you went to one then you would see that they dont....they cant help that they have reputations for being good at sports and better athletes migrate to their schools in order to win championships!

825397196[/snapback]

yea but the private schools get all the money and that makes a big difference