How about the Camden vs. Chester Co. game?

lionsfan37

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chester Co. has some serious, serious injury problems. They've already lost their two top seniors - QB/S Jake McKinnie and OL/DL Matt Hester - and lost TE/DE Brandon Cooper last night. They've also got plenty of walking wounded that just happen to be key players. It's been a rough year after a great start, due mostly to injury and lack of depth.

What happened to Brandon?  I hear he's been having a real good year.  How is Mason Moore doing at QB?  He probably has a better arm as well as field vision than McKinnie.  How come CCHS always seems to have injury problems?  Are they out of shape or just unlucky?

825399689[/snapback]

Brandon has a knee problem, don't know exactly what it is.

Moore has struggled at QB. Where he really drops off from Jake is speed. McKinnie was another RB behind center. Mason can't run, at least right now. He stops when he sees a defender approaching. I mean stops running and stands still. I'm afriad he's going to get killed if he keeps that up.

I'd say unlucky over out of shape. They don't have much depth so we have a lot of guys going both ways.

Moore has struggled at QB.  Where he really drops off from Jake is speed.  McKinnie was another RB behind center.  Mason can't run, at least right now.  He stops when he sees a defender approaching.  I mean stops running and stands still.  I'm afriad he's going to get killed if he keeps that up.

I'd say unlucky over out of shape.  They don't have much depth so we have a lot of guys going both ways.

825399816[/snapback]

Really? I didn't realize Jake was that much faster than Mason. Mason is a tough kid, though. He can handle it, heh.

I expect Camden to come out on top pretty soundly. Chester Co. has had a rough ending to a season that started out well. They have had suffered some key injuries, and that has really hurt them. I didn't expect them to lose to Bruceton, but thats what injuries will do to you. I predict Camden 38-13. I wish Chester Co. the best in 3a next year also.

Well, I'll say that Jake appears to be a lot faster than Mason. Don't know their 40 times, but Jake can move and I haven't seen the same speed out of Moore. In Mason's defense, he hadn't taken many snaps this year before Jake got hurt, so he did get thrust into the role rather quickly.

lionschs, that is exactly what injuries will do to you, especially when you're not deep. I will miss seeing Camden next year, you guys were very hospitable to us when we came up there. I'm glad to see you're having such a great year.

Edited by TheBoredGuy

Moore has struggled at QB.  Where he really drops off from Jake is speed.  McKinnie was another RB behind center.  Mason can't run, at least right now.  He stops when he sees a defender approaching.  I mean stops running and stands still.  I'm afriad he's going to get killed if he keeps that up.

I'd say unlucky over out of shape.  They don't have much depth so we have a lot of guys going both ways.

825399816[/snapback]

I'm really sorry to learn about these injuries. Jake is a great kid and I wish him the best with his recovery.

With a bit of sour grapes here, I'll say that Chester County had a very fast and athletic backup to Jake two years ago who was turned off of football by Jeff Cupples. The freshman QB during the 2002 season went to state in the high jump as a freshman (by the way, the only Chester County athlete to EVER go to Spring Fling) and knowledgeable football coaches will tell you that the greatest single measure of athleticism is vertical jump. He also ran a very fast 200 meters his freshman year. However, when Coach Cupples told him during the fall of 2002 that there was no way he would have a chance to beat out Jake in the future, he lost interest in football. Even though he might never have beaten Jake out (and Jake was certainly a better QB when he was a soph and the backup was a freshman), I couldn't imagine a coach making the sort of statement that would completely discourage a kid by telling him that he would never be good enough to take a starting position away from another player. I always thought coaches tried to encourage battles for starting positions in order to motivate both players.

This former Eagle moved to Texas after that freshman year and no longer even plays football due to this unbelievable experience with the Chester County coach. If things had worked out differently, Chester County might have a very fast, quick and athletic QB that could have stepped in when Jake was injured and then led the team next year.

By the way, Mason is also a great kid, very intelligent with a good arm, but the problem with speed and quickness showed up when he was the 8th grade QB. If he can work on improving his speed and quickness during the offseason, he should be able to have a good year next year since next year's senior class has some good athletes. Too bad he won't have the fastest kid in the school, Jerrin Wilson (probably misspelled his name), as one of his running backs. Coach Cupples alienated him also and turned him off to football with the favortism he showed toward another running back/defensive back. Wilson's speed could have taken a lot of pressure off of a QB and he's a great kid also.

Well, best of luck to the Eagles against Camden and in 2005. Even though I think Coach Cupples has made several mistakes over his first three years based on immaturity and inexperience (e.g., the quote he gave the newspaper in the fall of 2002 in which he said there were good athletes at Chester County but he just needed to get them to come out for football, thus belittling the talents of those players who were on the team that year), I believe he can build a good program at Chester County.

wrsmith, good to hear from you. Hope things are going well.

To be honest, your post does sound like sour grapes considering your connection to the situation you described. You have to admit that it's hard to maintain an objective opinion as close as you are to the situation. I never saw him play, so I can't say how he would have developed. I've heard positive things, I've heard negative things, but we'll never really know. As far as how the situation itself was handled, I have no knowledge of anything involved and don't really want to know. That's not my business.

The quote you referred to was probably taken out of context, not by the paper (James Webb is a great sports reporter) but by those who read it. The way I interpreted it was that CC had good athletes that weren't playing football, and that if they'd play the program could be better. It was said in context of the Huntingdon game, specifically referring to how H'don was a football town and Henderson was not. I do not think he was stating or implying that the players he had weren't athletic - Kyle, Myron, Teddy, Wes, that whole group of seniors had lots of athletes. Unfortunately, too many people around here wear their emotions on their sleeves and read too much into certain comments. I've seen people get upset by comments from opposing coaches that I interpreted as being respectful to the CC program.