West Tennessee Announcers..

BrockRocks

Brock hate you left Sam McElroy of of the list, maybe becausehe is not full time. I think he and Robin are one heck of a team. Robin is OK by himself and Sam also does an admirable job alone also. Together A- .

Mccully was the best and throw in a little Heman A.

825403472[/snapback]

I have heard McElroy and Cude do Milan games and I would probably like them more if I liked the Bulldogs.

I used to hear McCully and Heman and they got on my nerves by being too silly trying to do a morning show instead of a ballgame. I heard McCully by himself later and he sounded pretty good but he is not the best he's just been around for a long time.

I like Vick's Picks before the football games.

That Paul Tinkle fella gets too darn excited about a two yard run and he tries to be the star of the game instead of being a broadcaster.

I like hearing that Russ Barker guy on So Fulton game. I wish he still did them this season even though they did not have a good season.

But all of them are not as good as that Robin Frances. He doesn't try and be the show and just does it with the right amount of excitment when it is needed and gives good information all game too.

Ain't none of them John Ward but there is only one of him and he is retired.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard McElroy and Cude do Milan games and I would probably like them more if I liked the Bulldogs.

I used to hear McCully and Heman and they got on my nerves by being too silly trying to do a morning show instead of a ballgame.  I heard McCully by himself later and he sounded pretty good but he is not the best he's just been around for a long time. 

That Paul Tinkle fella gets too darn excited about a two yard run and he tries to be the star of the game instead of being a broadcaster.

I like hearing that Russ Barker guy on So Fulton game.  I wish he still did them this season even though they did not have a good season.

But all of them are not as good as that Robin Frances.  He doesn't try and be the show and just does it with the right amount of excitment when it is needed and gives good information all game too. 

825404488[/snapback]

It's Francis with an "i" not an "e" for future reference. Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate you listening to the games and I'm glad you enjoy them.

I'd be a terrible person if I didn't mention that we in west Tennessee have one person to thank for getting the ball rolling with high school broadcasts - Bill Haney. He was one of the few actually going to the games and putting them on the air way back when. He's one of the people I look up to in this business locally. Plus, he and his wife Peggy deserve a great amount of respect for their years of service for the fans at the games.

Also, I listened to John Ward growing up with the Ernie and Bernie show of the 70s and to Jack Buck with the Cardinals when I got into radio. They were great at putting to words what they witnessed.

I used to hear McCully and Heman and they got on my nerves by being too silly trying to do a morning show instead of a ballgame.  I heard McCully by himself later and he sounded pretty good but he is not the best he's just been around for a long time. 

I like hearing that Russ Barker guy on So Fulton game.  I wish he still did them this season even though they did not have a good season.

But all of them are not as good as that Robin Frances.  He doesn't try and be the show and just does it with the right amount of excitment when it is needed and gives good information all game too. 

825404488[/snapback]

Like Robin, I thank you for the compliment and Vic has no K for future reference. Hope you've enjoyed our first year of The Pre-Game Meal. I also want to thank Bill Haney for being a "trailblazer" for High School sports in West Tennessee. He has done a great deal for high school athletics statewide over the years, witness his induction into the TSSAA Hall of Fame. He has meant a lot to me personally over the years as well.

I would say this about whether announcers are "Good" or "Bad". That can be a matter of opinion or it can be obvious in the quality. My measuring stick is how genuinely passionate they are for what they're doing and who they're promoting. That can overcome some other problems.

TheBoredGuy,

What station should I tune to to check out the announcer from Chester Co. this weekend?? :)

For a change of direction here, Kent Jones/Larry Logan at Huntingdon do a really good job and there is a new announcer--Larry Joe Smith-- at McKenzie on 104.7 that does a great job. There are a lot that I haven't heard but, these are good.

825403567[/snapback]

I agree Jones and Logan do an excellent job...and this from a Camden fan who sits in the stands after OUR game and listens to Kent and Larry over the stadium loud speakers!! :D

tamirrt,

I'm from McKenzie and still put Jones/Logan at the top for this area that I've listened to so, I know what you mean about being a Camden fan sittin' and listening to them after the game. That's really cool how they do that!!! Great example of pride in a high school football program!!!!

If you get a chance check out Larry Joe Smith on the McKenzie broadcasts. He doesn't have as much backup as Jones/Logan but does a great job of the game.

BEFORE I exit for now, I will add that Bill Haney and "Diamond" Dave McCulley are two of the best ever to voice high school football in NW TN and they were the "mark" to shoot for for all other modern day football broadcasters in this area in my humble opinion. There are several good ones I've heard in this area but, they set a high standard!!!!

THEN THERE WAS JOHN WARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned Jim Cawley and trusty side-kick Mike Rauchle(sp)...Jim was the voice of UC and OCCHS football and basketball and now the voice of Golden Tornado Sports.....I am 38 and have been listening to him cover games as long as I can remember...Now even longer than John Ward....

825406053[/snapback]

I worked with Jim for several years and learned a great deal from him.

Kent Jones and Larry Logan do a very good job laying the plays out to make you feel like you are actually at the stadium, you can actually get a visual. The only complaint I have is that Kent Jones get's the boy's name's mixed up ALOT!!!!!! When doing so it confuses the listener's on who actually is playing what position. It happens at least 5 or 6 times a game and he rarely corrects himself.

Otherwise they are great announcer's.