What do you think of the split back veer?

hawaii50

C-N does run the spit back veer.  But what has it done for them lately?  They have not won the national title in 15 years b/c teams know how to stop it.  Better athletes, movement along the defensive front and stupid play calling on the part of C-N allows them to be the Buffalo Bills of Division II.

825402927[/snapback]

You must be crazy. what has it done for them lately? look at the win loss record of the last 15 years and then answer that. Find one other collegic coach who is 234 -54 -2 not counting this season with a .819 winning percentage. how many other coaches with almost 300 games played have a winning % above 800.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catfish-hunter

They do not run the split-back formation, but the best team at running the triple option on any level is without question GEORGIA SOUTHERN. They run a double slot formation and have the ability to turn a normal 3yd. run into a 60yd. run at any point. This offense has led them to 6 NATIONAL TITLES in D-1AA over the past 20 years, and this year is looking a lot like number 7. In their season opener at Gerorgia this year, in a game that they only lost 41-28 and had nearly 400yds. rushing, they made one of the elite defenses in all of college football look silly. There are several key components into running this offense and I for one am a huge fan of this offense.

1.) The triple option is designed to take an aggressive defense and make them read and react, which they can't possibly get used to in one week's time.

2.) The quarterback has to be a very smart player who can make the right reads and he must be able to pitch the ball without throwing it on the ground constantly.

3.) The fullback has to be a durable player. It is very likely that he will get hit on every single play, whether the football is handed to him or faked to him. The best fullbacks are those who can gain at least 4yds. everytime on first down.

4.) The slot-backs have to be quick elusive type of players. On the option they have to be able to recieve the pitch and they must always make the first guy miss. They must have the ability to catch the football on passing plays.

5.) The offensive line has to have a "mean streak" about them. I've never met an offensive lineman who didn't like to run-block and this offense is the type in which they can be agressive on every play. They must also be somewhat intelligent. On the option the linemen have to know what particular defender is the quarterback's read on the option, so therefore they are not supposed to block him (this is the part where the offense uses a defense's aggressiveness against them).

I think the biggest factor is whether or not you have the personnel to run it. It starts with a good athlete at QB. Not only good, but smart. You need 2 good backs. I think you need a back who can stretch a defense, as well as split a defense up the middle. The backbone is a good TE. They are very crucial in the veer blocking. It can be very effective when added with the outside veer and midline series, like was mentioned earlier. Also you must use multiple formations to help keep the defense from stacking the box.

C-N does run the spit back veer. But what has it done for them lately? They have not won the national title in 15 years b/c teams know how to stop it. Better athletes, movement along the defensive front and stupid play calling on the part of C-N allows them to be the Buffalo Bills of Division II.

Ok, I played at CN from 97-2001 and I know why they lost, put up 450 rushings yards, 42 points against Presbyterian and lose the game. Yeah you guesses it Defense. Against Northwest Missouri State in 4 overtimes, they gave up 24 points in the fourth quarter to send it to OT. I mean please, is that because of the splitback veer.

I played with Leonard for 4 years, great quarterback loved him. I was an Offensive lineman

You must be crazy.  what has it done for them lately?  look at the win loss record of the last 15 years and then answer that.  Find one other collegic coach who is 234 -54 -2 not counting this season with a .819 winning percentage.  how many other coaches with almost 300 games played have a winning % above 800.

825402934[/snapback]

Some people have called me crazy. Many of those wins came in NAIA with D1 guys who finished their eligibility and trasferred to continue playing. I know this for a fact! UNDISPUTED FACT! They win their league every year mostly b/c they can outscore people. Their defense, here as of late is not that good. Could they stop themselves? They will not win the golden ball b/c their coaches aren't agressive play callers. Too conservative.

Some people have called me crazy.  Many of those wins came in NAIA with D1 guys who finished their eligibility and trasferred to continue playing.  I know this for a fact!  UNDISPUTED FACT!  They win their league every year mostly b/c they can outscore people.  Their defense, here as of late is not that good. Could they stop themselves?  They will not win the golden ball b/c their coaches aren't agressive play callers. Too conservative.

825403001[/snapback]

look at the record since 92 since you know for a fact youll also know that all of the D1 guys you talk about were gone by then. and i beg to differ on the defense. unlike most D1 teams their non conference schedule is against usually d1aa oponents and usually not bad ones. which is unfortunately where some of their losses come from.

As for you winning the golden ball, which college team did you coach to a national championship. or even a runner up national champ team?

Maryville runs a split back veer with 3 wideouts. Sometimes they run a tight end set. Maryville's offense has been great since 1997. Maryville spreads the field and makes defenses defend the whole field. Maryville is passing more with a quarterback like Cade Thompson. When Alex Rouse was quarterback you saw the midline and speed option. Cade runs some option sometimes but you want Cade throwing the rock. There are a lot of things you can do from that offense. Maryville runs the midline and speed option,dive plays,trap plays and the off tackle play. Those are their running plays. They can use those plays under center or shotgun. Passing plays that Maryville runs are Bubble Screens,jailbreak screens,Screens to the backs,Smash Routes,Seam passes,fades,hitches,hitch and go,curls. Maryville also has been fortunate to have receivers that can pass. That makes those Smoke n Mirrors plays work. Maryville has went to a no huddle shotgun offense this year to take advantage of Cades talent.