Melrose Defense

kwc

I realize Melrose is good, but I took exception with what TCBoy59 said, "All this talk about maryville is very silly, they are in no way shape or form in the same league as this football program". 

Maryville, last year withstanding, sealed the deal in the state finals for three years in a row prior to last year.  Melrose took an undefeated team into the semis in 2002 and a one-loss team into the semis in 2003...and lost both.

It's a different year, and different outcomes may lie ahead, but I still stand by my post: Maryville has been in a different league than Melrose recently.  TCBoy59 said it right, even though the intent behind his message was wrong.

One thing I hope Melrose is working on is points after touchdowns.  If memory serves, they have had trouble with XPs in the past.

825413513[/snapback]

Both Melrose and Maryville are to be commended for their excelence on the football field. History does not support either of these programs as being "in another league" from the other. There is a lot of football to be played before either of these teams would have the opportunity to settle it on the field.

Yes the kicking game has been a thorn in our sides the last couple of years. That's why we give up just 2.2 points a game to avoid it from being a problem <_<

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the kicking game has been a thorn in our sides the last couple of years.  That's why we give up just 2.2 points a game to avoid it from being a problem <_<

825413636[/snapback]

I agree that a good defense helps negate the extra point problem. I was thinking more of the past two semifinal games with Hillsboro where it has been a problem (and has essentially cost Melrose both games, and Melrose had great defenses those years as well). Those extra points may come in handy versus a White House or a Stratford in the semis, and I will go out on a limb now and say that either would score more than 2 points in a game with Melrose (particularly White House, which I think is very good).

All this said, I'm still picking Melrose to be a finalist.

I agree that a good defense helps negate the extra point problem.  I was thinking more of the past two semifinal games with Hillsboro where it has been a problem (and has essentially cost Melrose both games, and Melrose had great defenses those years as well).  Those extra points may come in handy versus a White House or a Stratford in the semis, and I will go out on a limb now and say that either would score more than 2 points in a game with Melrose (particularly White House, which I think is very good).

All this said, I'm still picking Melrose to be a finalist.

825413696[/snapback]

Yes, the kicking game cost us big time in both of those situations. There are some real good teams on the road to the championship and the little things like the PAT can realy make a difference. It should be an interesting run. The great thing about the playoffs is that it is settled on the field!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and honestly I don't mean to offend anyone, but I have a feeling people think that Melrose is one of those "Stereotypical Black Teams That Have No Discipline And Just Athletes Who Seem Very Intimidating..." ...etc? Anyone who watches movies, goes to games, realize this stereotype, and I'd hate to see it implemented in the same sentence as "Melrose." Just a thought.

On a lighter note, wouldn't a Maryville/Melrose matchup be kind of reminiscent of a recent movie, "Friday Night Lights?" Kind of where the above stems from.

From what I've heard, the opposite is true. All of the guys who play football for Melrose are the good, disciplined kids looking to improve their lives. I've heard that the coach doesn't put up with ANY behavior problems. Melrose is definetley full of athletes, and all of them seem to have good heads on their shoulders. As far as the rest of the citizens of Orange Mound, that doesn't quite hold true.

From what I've heard, the opposite is true.  All of the guys who play football for Melrose are the good, disciplined kids looking to improve their lives.  I've heard that the coach doesn't put up with ANY behavior problems.  Melrose is definetley full of athletes, and all of them seem to have good heads on their shoulders.  As far as the rest of the citizens of Orange Mound, that doesn't quite hold true.

825413798[/snapback]

What first hand knowledge do you have regarding citizens of Orange Moune that would substantiate the last sentence of your post? How much time have you spent in Orange Mound and what "rest of the citizens Orange Mound" do you know personally?

Edited by orangemoundwest

From what I've heard, the opposite is true.  All of the guys who play football for Melrose are the good, disciplined kids looking to improve their lives.  I've heard that the coach doesn't put up with ANY behavior problems.  Melrose is definetley full of athletes, and all of them seem to have good heads on their shoulders.  As far as the rest of the citizens of Orange Mound, that doesn't quite hold true.

825413798[/snapback]

That's what I've heard, as well. I remember reading an article in the Commercial Appeal that put Melrose in a very positive light. A good sign.

It just seems that some people are oblivious to the fact that you can have a high school football team compiled of mostly black athletes and still retain discipline and technique.

I saw Austin-East (again, a mostly black team) play Kingston a few days ago, and, not to down Kingston, but the main reason they were still in the game 14 - 7 at halftime was due to missed assignments and stupid penalties (and maybe some hard running by Chad Johnson). Of course, AE eventually won quite easily, 35 - 7.

I just think most un-informed fans think of most Memphis teams in this light, but this is innacurate in the case of Melrose. But can we say Melrose is just an urban Maryville? Probably not. I've especially seen tons of Maryville fans comment on how depth and coaching would win the game. Surprise, surprise, both teams happen to have all of these important attributes. It's just going to come down to sheer will if these two teams make it, IMO. Athletes, depth, coaching, it's all going to be BS come the first Friday in December.

One thing I hope Melrose is working on is points after touchdowns.  If memory serves, they have had trouble with XPs in the past.

825413513[/snapback]

Pretty much every city school does. Most of the time, even the ones that hit them look *REALLY* bad doing it.

I think Kingsbury may have had one of the best stories in recent memory. They didn't attempt a field goal all season, then they're tied 27-27 with a couple of seconds left, and they make their first attempt all year to win the regional title.

City schools generally don't have soccer programs (and if they do, they usually aren't *GOOD* programs), and that's where you find the good kickers. That's one reason I would assume Ridgeway has basically never had a shortage of kickers.

Gold cleats are like 4.6 and under; I believe.  Lining up against a guy with gold cleats on would be very intimidating, heh.

825414930[/snapback]

I'm not from Melrose so I'm not certain why certain players get the golden shoes. I believe they receive them for career benchmark accomplishments. I'm quite certain it's not for 40 times. It's been a tradition at Melrose for as long as I can remember. I think RB's get them for rushing for a certain amount of yards for their career ... for example if they surpass 3,000 rushing yards then they get the gold shoes. DB's on the other hand would have to have 8 or 10 career picks or something like that. Those aren't the actual numbers ... but you understand the philosophy. I have no idea what the criteria is for what position. I am fairly certain it's not for 40 times though.