Melrose Defense

kwc

To all fans of class 4a football hoping that their team will win the state title, I would like to tell you that there is no chance that any body in class 4a will beat the Melrose Golden Wildcats. No trash talk, just the facts. They have probably the best combination of skill, size, power, and team speed in the state. All this talk about maryville is very silly, they are in no way shape or form in the same league as this football program.

825412934[/snapback]

What about things like fundamentals and knowing how to win deep in the playoffs? I know where Maryville stands in these two areas; where does Melrose stand?

Love 'em or hate 'em, Maryville is not in the same league as Melrose. Maryville has been able to seal the deal often in recent years. Melrose hasn't. You are very correct - different leagues.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly happens afterwards? And is it better to take a bus to the stadium? Im just curious.

825412930[/snapback]

Eh, I wouldn't take a bus -- MATA doesn't really do that good a job of getting you around town.

And as for afterwards...it's not a neighborhood you want to be in late at night. There's enough cops in and around the stadium that nothing happens during games, but I wouldn't want to be there at midnight, for example.

As a general rule, I think it's a good idea to avoid neighborhoods that have rap songs dedicated to them. Orange Mound is one such neighborhood. Also, look out for street vendors. Last year, at the Rock, I picked up a cool "MELROSE; Orange Mound" hat from one of the vendors. Nice guy.

Oh yeah, watch out especially for the GOLD CLEATS.

To all fans of class 4a football hoping that their team will win the state title, I would like to tell you that there is no chance that any body in class 4a will beat the Melrose Golden Wildcats. No trash talk, just the facts. They have probably the best combination of skill, size, power, and team speed in the state. All this talk about maryville is very silly, they are in no way shape or form in the same league as this football program. As far as the neighborhood goes, the fans there are just like everybody elses, they really do get excited about their football team. You would to if you had the program they did. When we(Crockett County) went there to play in 1997 they were very loud, but generally nice people. I hate to say it but I think that everybody says that it is a rough place to play just because it is a prodominately African-American community. I apologize if anybody is affended by this post but it is just the plain facts. thumb

825412934[/snapback]

I understand that you think you're team is the best, and you have a good argument... but, even though they are shutting teams out, they are not really putting up big offensive numbers like Maryville has done. In Melrose's close games, I suspect that they leave in their first team Defense, and therefore preserve the shutout because they have to in order to win. When Maryville blows a team out of the water, they will put in their 2nd and 3rd team defenses, and this gives the other team a chance to score, and they occasionally will. This would lead me to belive that Melrose is not quite as good as you would like to hope they are, plus I believe they slipped in the AP top 10 to third, behind Maryville and Tennessee High... two East TN teams. Whoever wins out of the semi's in East TN will cruise through the State Championship game.

I understand that you think you're team is the best, and you have a good argument... but, even though they are shutting teams out, they are not really putting up big offensive numbers like Maryville has done.  In Melrose's close games, I suspect that they leave in their first team Defense, and therefore preserve the shutout because they have to in order to win.  When Maryville blows a team out of the water, they will put in their 2nd and 3rd team defenses, and this gives the other team a chance to score, and they occasionally will.  This would lead me to belive that Melrose is not quite as good as you would like to hope they are, plus I believe they slipped in the AP top 10 to third, behind Maryville and Tennessee High... two East TN teams.  Whoever wins out of the semi's in East TN will cruise through the State Championship game.

825413083[/snapback]

LoyalReb,

I can promise you Melrose will have more talent that Maryville will on the field if they play. I've seen both of you play in recent years, although not this year, and Melrose has some of the best raw talent out there. Maryville will have better coaching and a better overall system, but Melrose has players. Don't think that after TN High that you will have a cakewalk to the state title because Melrose will give you a good game.

Too bad it looks like I will be in Atlanta or else I would be there to see it.

To all fans of class 4a football hoping that their team will win the state title, I would like to tell you that there is no chance that any body in class 4a will beat the Melrose Golden Wildcats. No trash talk, just the facts. They have probably the best combination of skill, size, power, and team speed in the state. All this talk about maryville is very silly, they are in no way shape or form in the same league as this football program. As far as the neighborhood goes, the fans there are just like everybody elses, they really do get excited about their football team. You would to if you had the program they did. When we(Crockett County) went there to play in 1997 they were very loud, but generally nice people. I hate to say it but I think that everybody says that it is a rough place to play just because it is a prodominately African-American community. I apologize if anybody is affended by this post but it is just the plain facts. thumb

825412934[/snapback]

I guess Maryville,TN High,White House and other 4A teams might as well turn in their equiptment then. :rolleyes:

What about things like fundamentals and knowing how to win deep in the playoffs? I know where Maryville stands in these two areas; where does Melrose stand?

Love 'em or hate 'em, Maryville is not in the same league as MelroseMaryville has been able to seal the deal often in recent years.  Melrose hasn't.  You are very correct - different leagues.

825412949[/snapback]

Great post rollredroll. As a MBA fan I know you know a well coached,fundementally sound football team when you see one. Maryville and MBA are both well coached teams that get the most out of their talent.

Great post rollredroll. As a MBA fan I know you know a well coached,fundementally sound football team when you see one. Maryville and MBA are both well coached teams that get the most out of their talent.

825413444[/snapback]

It`s a shame the best teams(programs) are separated by egos. There are lots of great teams in this state. I`d love to see all the best teams getting a chance to lay it down on a field. Back to the good ol days thumb

rollredroll...Melrose has their share too. They have a fairly new coach.(Remember Tim Thompson?) This new coach requires discipline. They lost at least 6 D1-A players from last year and look what theyhave done.

rollredroll...Melrose has their share too. They have a fairly new coach.(Remember Tim Thompson?) This new coach requires discipline. They lost at least 6 D1-A players from last year and look what theyhave done.

825413471[/snapback]

I realize Melrose is good, but I took exception with what TCBoy59 said, "All this talk about maryville is very silly, they are in no way shape or form in the same league as this football program".

Maryville, last year withstanding, sealed the deal in the state finals for three years in a row prior to last year. Melrose took an undefeated team into the semis in 2002 and a one-loss team into the semis in 2003...and lost both.

It's a different year, and different outcomes may lie ahead, but I still stand by my post: Maryville has been in a different league than Melrose recently. TCBoy59 said it right, even though the intent behind his message was wrong.

One thing I hope Melrose is working on is points after touchdowns. If memory serves, they have had trouble with XPs in the past.

Edited by rollredroll