Class AA Mr. Basketball

gomab2

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

Well 9AA has been fairly weak, but not as weak as everyone makes it seem, it's just that Giles Co. is so much better than everyone else. Tyler Smith WILL get the award as long as he doesnt get injured or anything of the type. In 9AA There was some pretty good post players, Jeff Sparkman-6'9" C from Lewis County, and another from Marshall County that i forget his name graduated in '03. Whenever i watched Lewis County agains Giles County it was a pretty good show against posts, it was always Tyler's supporting cast that pushed them through.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being facetious at all, but what exactly is the criteria for this award? Does it include post high school plans, physical ability and characteristics, points per game, team success? I really hope that there is a player in AA basketball this year that is going to suprise everyone and take this honor depending on what determines this award. This kid has no chance if we are talking about a DI player because he doesn't really have the size, and so obviously if you have to be a man among boys, well he's not that either. He will put lots and lots of points on the board and be one of the best shooters in the state. He will make his team better and they will be a contender in their district and beyond. And if the trophy already has the name SMITH etched into it then they will only have to scratch out the first name and replace it with another.

Guest catfish-hunter
I've seen both play, and I'd much rather have 5 Willie Kemps starting for me than 5 Tyler Smiths. Willie Kemp understands the game, plays good defense, knows what his role is, gives 100% every play all game, and is the number 1 reason his team is a good as they are. Tyler Smith can jump, he does not give 100% every play, and he has an attitude problem. Willie Kemp is a much better all around player. Tyler Smith has so much hype because he can jump and he scores so much against mediocre teams. Just my opinion from what I've seen.

825434360[/snapback]

That is correct my friend. I spoke with Mr. Kemp when he came to Montgomery Central last year to watch the regional final between Giles and Sycamore. For a young man to drive that far just to get a look at his next possible opponent tells anyone that he is always on top of his game. My vote goes to Kemp because althought the "bird man" can fly, he certainly can not shoot. That is a promise folks!!!

gatorboy, Tyler's final decision came down to two schools; Kansas or Tennessee. He had the same oppurtunity to go to the Jayhawks as he did Tennessee. However, he wants to go to a team where his effect will be seen immediately. Why would he go to a school where the lineup is basically set, and the coach is looking for role players. Not to say he wouldn't be able to play there; HE WOULD!

You've heard his name so much for a reason, especially if you were in Atlanta this summer, or picked up the November issue of SLAM magazine! Not only did the BIRDMAN fly in the ATL, catfish, but he also lit it up from behind the arc! Sorry but everyone at that camp could dunk; it was his all around game that "Etched his name" on that MVP award!!

Face it guys, the man-child is going to take the Mr. Basketball, and then head to Knoxville and prepare to turn around a program! Don't worry, you'll be hearing his name for years to come!

LEBRON WHO?

I believe that Tyler Smith is the best player in AA, and could possibly be the best player in Tennessee(arguably). Even if he does not shoot any better from outside the paint he will still win the AA mr.basketball award, and that is more than likely a fact. If you go by the past 2 years he has gotten better all around each season, and that will be good for him if he improves this season, and he will. He knows he is going to Tennesee and he will work hard to improve to where he will go right to campus and make a difference and that is a really big plus for giles county basketball. I don't think anyone else will even make an honest attempt to beat tyler out of his own award. He has the most hype, the best stats, one of the best surroundings on the court and a gold ball.

Guest catfish-hunter
gatorboy, Tyler's final decision came down to two schools; Kansas or Tennessee.  He had the same oppurtunity to go to the Jayhawks as he did Tennessee.  However, he wants to go to a team where his effect will be seen immediately.  Why would he go to a school where the lineup is basically set, and the coach is looking for role players.  Not to say he wouldn't be able to play there; HE WOULD!

You've heard his name so much for a reason, especially if you were in Atlanta this summer, or picked up the November issue of SLAM magazine!  Not only did the BIRDMAN fly in the ATL, catfish, but he also lit it up from behind the arc! Sorry but everyone at that camp could dunk; it was his all around game that "Etched his name" on that MVP award!!

Face it guys, the man-child is going to take the Mr. Basketball, and then head to Knoxville and prepare to turn around a program!  Don't worry, you'll be hearing his  name for years to come!

LEBRON WHO?

825438074[/snapback]

Tyler Smith is a great basketball talent and anyone who denies that is a moron. I can honestly sit here and say that last year when I saw Giles County in the regional tourney against Harpeth, Cheatham, and Sycamore, I was more impressed with Channing Coffey than I was with Tyler Smith. Am I saying that Channing is a better all basketball player than Tyler??? NO! However, I will say that Coffey made more of an impact during that tourney than did Tyler. He was without question the difference for Giles in both the Harpeth & Sycamore games in my opinion. To be quite honest, I felt like the refs gave Tyler a couple of breaks in those two games when they called ticky-tack fouls on Logan Pierce and Shane Dansby. If Tyler wants to be a great player on the next level, then I'd suggest that he learns how to deal with being played physical down low. He also better learn to keep his emotions in check, which is why he was gone by the end of the Cheatham game. Finally, he has to shoot better than 50% from the free-throw line. I don't know a SUPERSTAR caliber player that shoots 50% from the line, with the exception being Shaq. Tyler is a big man, but last time I checked he wasn't 7'1 350lbs.

catfish, the problem with what you're saying is that all of your points come from 3 games that you saw almost a year ago! That's almost a full year that included playing against the best AAU competition in the country, maturing, and becoming a better shooter by working on it every day! The title of this thread is "Class AA Mr. Basketball" FOR 2004-2005! I wasn't aware that Mr. Basketball was decided by what happened last year in region tournament (where your boy Dansby got embarrassed!) Also, I'm glad that you're able to base your decision based on a 5 minute conversation! By the way you have something brown on your nosec

I mean, you apparently haven't read the magazine interviews Tyler has done. In them, he's not talking about jumping outo of the gym, or being the greatest player ever. NO, he's talking about how much he's been working on the jumper and outside shooting! You're right, Channing did make a big difference in those games, but after looking at the entire season, and watching other tournament games (including AAU), I've never seen another player that dould come into the game and completely take over like T Smith.

So, take a step out of the past, and come join us for this year! When the dust settles, we'll see how much the hard work Tyler has done in the off season will pay off, and then you can say that you are the guy who said Tyler couldn't shoot!

LEBRON WHO?