Oak Ridge = Underachievers

rayraylewis

you are right dragons. I thought it might be a parent or relative who was upset bout their boy, but catscratch claims he has none on the team. But still, they have turned on Oak Ridge, and they just don't realize how good Oak Ridge has it. I just don't understand it, but there have always been grumblers like this...I knew plenty of them. But most fans are of the good kind. thats my piece..

oh and hey I'm glad that things are startin to pick up for yall. whuddya think about Coach Shattuck? man i sure loved him. he's a special coach. you arent a player are you? tell him I said hey: parker jarnigan. still can't believe i couldnt see him play us the beginning of this year...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know coach Shattuck. I am from Sgt. York country, Jamestown in Fentress COunty. I think you might be getting your dragons crossed. I have seen Oak RIdge play over the years and they have had some great teams, sounds like this year is not different. It is a shame to hear a bunch of Saturday mornin Qb's complain about a 10-1 season. York would have gone bezerk with that record. THose type of fans ruin the game for kids, because they make it less fun. And I am sure the Oak Ridge coaches put in their time. I mean, its Oak RIdge. Well I plan on bein there in the 3rd round. I want to see Oak Ridge and DB play. I have seen DB and I have seen Riverdale. I dont know if Oak Ridge and DB together could be Riverdale. they are on a war path, big, fast, strong, fast, fast,fast, lean, mean, fast. THis is the year of the Warrior I think, plus Oak Ridge and DB have a rough rode to toil in the playoffs, RIverdale will cruise.

Go Dragons in 05

I'm surprised that their is disharmony in the OR nation. :o  If it is really that bad then Farragut might have a chance Friday night. :D  It sounds like somebodys baby didn't get to play as much as they thought they should. :D

825422041[/snapback]

There is not disharmony in the Atomic City! If you will notice there are only 2 idiots on here. And I don't use the term "idiot" loosely....only an idiot would start a thread using the word "underachievers" in the first round of the playoffs! Who knows if rayray is really an OR fan or someone trying to stir something up to get things off track! Not to worry the mighty Wildcat Express is on track and will roll Friday night at the "Ship"!! And the Wildcat Nation is solid behind this team of GREAT kids and coaches!! Roll Wildcats Roll!!

They have my support to the fullest, it is your support that is in question with your comments earlier.  Why not be positive and not question our kids "believing they can beat anyone".  They need your positivity, not your negativity.

As for the military comment, get real.

I do agree with one thing you said.....GO CATS  :D

825422345[/snapback]

I liked the pray for our Military part thumb

Folks I was raised in Middle TN In the late 70's and Oak Ridge had the reputation of Mythical exploits that intimidate teams to this day. I came from a program that was 9-2 and we only wished to have the Rep of an Oak Ridge. You and DB or the AL and OK of TN football, (Notice correct color coordination) thumb

I enjoy going to the games at both Stadiums.

They have PALs and you have Big Ed's. Great Schools!

If Farragut doesn’t upset U , I will be there to watch another great OR/DB game.

(If they get by SD) :D

There is not disharmony in the Atomic City!  If you will notice there are only 2 idiots on here.  And I don't use the term "idiot" loosely....only an idiot would start a thread using the word "underachievers" in the first round of the playoffs!  Who knows if rayray is really an OR fan or someone trying to stir something up to get things off track!  Not to worry the mighty Wildcat Express is on track and will roll Friday night at the "Ship"!!  And the Wildcat Nation is solid behind this team of GREAT kids and coaches!!  Roll Wildcats Roll!!

825422654[/snapback]

ORFEVER, Maybe it is not disharmony, but I work with several people from Oak Ridge both fans and former players, and they have all expressed to me their displeasure with the lack of imagination from the offense especially in the passing game and with not getting the ball to their athletes as much as they should, and believe me these folks for the most part love Oak Ridge Football. I don't have a dog in the fight just thought you might like to hear it from an outside observer. I have much respect for the Oak Ridge program, to me it is the best there is in high school football. Central Bobcat

ORFEVER, Maybe it is not disharmony, but I work with several people from Oak Ridge both fans and former players, and they have all expressed to me their displeasure with the lack of imagination from the offense especially in the passing game and with not getting the ball to their athletes as much as they should, and believe me these folks for the most part love Oak Ridge Football. I don't have a dog in the fight just thought you might like to hear it from an outside observer. I have much respect for the Oak Ridge program, to me it is the best there is in high school football. Central Bobcat

825423967[/snapback]

Central Bobcat, thank you for the compliment.

Last word on this ridiculous subject: The Oak Ridge Wildcats (2004 Region 2-5A Champions) are hosting the Farragut Admirals Friday at Blankenship Field. Everyone welcome-fans and critics alike-to support this group of young men who have been working "together" since their winter workouts to meet each goal they (and their coaches) have set for themselves. Should be a great night of football between two long time rivals. Weather is supposed to be cool. The "Ship' should be rockin'....don't miss the excitement!

I think I'm gonna have to agree to disagree here...

First, I think the folks in Ooltewah, Soddy Daisy and Farragut might have an issue with the assertion that we've only played one good team. All three were ranked in the AP poll at points during the season and deservedly so.

Recent history seems to be on the side that the Wildcats have beat some very very good teams including the Indians in Kingsport almost a year ago to the week. We also lost to Riverdale on Blankenship, but not before putting the scare of all scares by driving down inside the 5 before a tipped pass gets picked off to preserve the victory for Riverdale. The Warriors made the play at the end of the game, however it could have very easily gone the other way with Oak Ridge playing for all the marbles the next week at MTSU.

I will admit that I'm probably not the biggest fan of the wing-T offense. I remember when OR would line up with Shawn Summers in the backfield and run the toss sweep down everyone's throats in '91. I can also remember when we ran the veer in the 80's with Tommy Laurendine, Eric Thomas, Eric Menefee and many of the other greats of the day. I do remember when Oak Ridge installed the wing-T and even though I'm not the biggest fan of that offense, I can't argue with the results.

The team does have a little work to do on the kicking game, but when Gulmire is on top of his game, we will give anyone in the state a good run for their money on any given night. I don't know if anyone has looked at the enrollment numbers on the TSSAAs site, however OR is 45th in enrollment out of 55 schools in 5A (1457). Riverdale and Oakland top the list at 2313 and 2359 respectively so we're holding our own with schools that are 40% larger than ORHS. Our ace in the hole is that our middle school feeder program is among the best in the state.

What is all my rambling getting to? I think we're more than holding our own in the state and I think teams still look at a road trip to Oak Ridge and their heart skips a beat. They know that as soon as the railroad crossing begins ringing, that they know they have one of the best programs in the state walking down the stairs ready to play. And the last time I checked, there hasn't been an easy 'W' for the visitors to Blankenship Field in some time.

Sorry I got so long winded, and thanks for the time folks! I think all OR fans have the team and the city's best interests at heart. It's why I graduated from ORHS, and it's certainly why I am still and always will be an Oak Ridger.

I think I'm gonna have to agree to disagree here...

First, I think the folks in Ooltewah, Soddy Daisy and Farragut might have an issue with the assertion that we've only played one good team.  All three were ranked in the AP poll at points during the season and deservedly so.

Recent history seems to be on the side that the Wildcats have beat some very very good teams including the Indians in Kingsport almost a year ago to the week.  We also lost to Riverdale on Blankenship, but not before putting the scare of all scares by driving down inside the 5 before a tipped pass gets picked off to preserve the victory for Riverdale.  The Warriors made the play at the end of the game, however it could have very easily gone the other way with Oak Ridge playing for all the marbles the next week at MTSU.

I will admit that I'm probably not the biggest fan of the wing-T offense.  I remember when OR would line up with Shawn Summers in the backfield and run the toss sweep down everyone's throats in '91.  I can also remember when we ran the veer in the 80's with Tommy Laurendine, Eric Thomas, Eric Menefee and many of the other greats of the day.  I do remember when Oak Ridge installed the wing-T and even though I'm not the biggest fan of that offense, I can't argue with the results.

The team does have a little work to do on the kicking game, but when Gulmire is on top of his game, we will give anyone in the state a good run for their money on any given night.  I don't know if anyone has looked at the enrollment numbers on the TSSAAs site, however OR is 45th in enrollment out of 55 schools in 5A (1457).  Riverdale and Oakland top the list at 2313 and 2359 respectively so we're holding our own with schools that are 40% larger than ORHS.  Our ace in the hole is that our middle school feeder program is among the best in the state.

What is all my rambling getting to?  I think we're more than holding our own in the state and I think teams still look at a road trip to Oak Ridge and their heart skips a beat.  They know that as soon as the railroad crossing begins ringing, that they know they have one of the best programs in the state walking down the stairs ready to play.  And the last time I checked, there hasn't been an easy 'W' for the visitors to Blankenship Field in some time.

Sorry I got so long winded, and thanks for the time folks!  I think all OR fans have the team and the city's best interests at heart.  It's why I graduated from ORHS, and it's certainly why I am still and always will be an Oak Ridger.

825424013[/snapback]

Firstbasetn, I too remember those days you speak of and they were great days, the stands and the stadium always full especially for the playoff games. The atomsphere was electric. All those great players you mentioned and many more who are part of the great tradition that is Oak Ridge Football, and the players on this years team will be a part of that same storied tradition. I appreciate your love of Oak Ridge Football and you are no doubt a very loyal fan. I do take issue on one point you made while we did play Riverdale a good game we lost to them again, at home and we could have won that game, if we had been prepared to run any type of hurry up offense or get the ball to an athlete at the end, maybe even spike the ball to stop the clock at the end, but we did none of the above. That was by far the worst Riverdale team we have played, and I have seen them all as you probably have also, they did not win the state championship after they beat us. Hopefully we are better prepared for those situations this year I feel sure we have learned from our mistakes of last year. Go Cats

Firstbasetn, I too remember those days you speak of and they were great days, the stands and the stadium always full especially for the playoff games. The atomsphere was electric. All those great players you mentioned and many more who are part of the great  tradition that is Oak Ridge Football, and the players on this years team will be a part of that same storied tradition. I appreciate your love of Oak Ridge Football and you are no doubt a very loyal fan. I do take issue on one point you made while we did play Riverdale a good game we lost to them again, at home and we could have won that game, if we had been prepared to run any type of hurry up offense or get the ball to an athlete at the end, maybe even spike the ball to stop the clock at the end, but we did none of the above. That was by far the worst Riverdale team we have played, and I have seen them all as you probably have also, they did not win the state championship after they beat us. Hopefully we are better prepared for those situations this year I feel sure we have learned from our mistakes of last year. Go Cats

825424062[/snapback]

Hey catscratch.

You make some good points. Just not sure that I agree, but that's okay. Nowhere is it written that we have to agree. And I think as I said earlier, that everyone has the best interests of the school and community in mind. I just don't think that if we did anything markedly different on that last play that it would increase or enhance the opportunity to have scored on Riverdale and beat them. I know you think different and I respect that opinion. In the end, we're both rooting for the Cardinal and Gray and that's the important thing. Even though I don't agree with you on some things, I do agree whole-heartedly with your last two words. Go Cats!

Hey catscratch.

You make some good points.  Just not sure that I agree, but that's okay.  Nowhere is it written that we have to agree.  And I think as I said earlier, that everyone has the best interests of the school and community in mind.  I just don't think that if we did anything markedly different on that last play that it would increase or enhance the opportunity to have scored on Riverdale and beat them.  I know you think different and I respect that opinion.  In the end, we're both rooting for the Cardinal and Gray and that's the important thing.  Even though I don't agree with you on some things, I do agree whole-heartedly with your last two words.  Go Cats!

825424093[/snapback]

Firstbasetn, you also make some very good points and observations. I both respect and apppreciate your opinions and your love for the Wildcats. You are right we may not agree on the method of getting there but we agree that we want the best for our school, football team and community. I do hope all Oak Ridge fans and others will pray for our soldiers especially those in battle in Fallujah. Thanks, and again Go Cats.