Has a Female ever placed at State?

rigger101

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jessica Taylor had a scholarship to Cumberland Ky, but had to give it up.  Out of the few girls that have graduated in wrestling, that is a pretty darn good percentage.

825438837[/snapback]

I am sorry to hear she gave it up. What was the circumstance of that?

I am glad to hear that any person seeking a financial benifit from what ever avenue, gets the opportunity.

Again, my opinion is that there should be separate teams, female and male.

SISTERHOOD OF WRESTLING

Similar stories are common theme among Junior Women

By W.I.N. Staff

The old adage of never hit a girl goes right out the window when it comes to young women wrestling these days … and that’s fine with Deanna Rix and her father, Matt.

“Guys will slap her right in the face and she’ll give them one right back,” smiled Matt, the head wrestling coach at Marshwood High School in South Berwick Maine, where he first introduced his daughter to the sport at the age of 4.

“I was substituting for someone who was missing at 46 pounds,” recalled Deanna, shortly after she won her second straight ASICS/Vaughan Junior Women’s National championship at 128 pounds. “I’ve wrestled ever since then.”

And in the 13 years that have followed, she has learned to take plenty of tough moments from her opponents, most of whom are boys.

“I find they are wrestling her ten times harder than they would against anybody else,” Matt said. “They know if technically they make a mistake, it’s all done. Their only saving grace is that they may have an overpowering move.”

And those moves also mean a few pops in the forehead, which also leads to equal response from this 17-year-old high school senior who hopes to be a team captain for her father’s high school team.

“She’s been called for unsportsmanlike conduct,” admitted Matt. “It doesn’t go both ways, which is irritating because the ref won’t see the first one but will see the retaliation.”

The Rixs, like many of the girls and their families who were in Fargo, N.D., recently for the nationals, don’t mind the physical abuse that many of them face in being the only girls in what used to be a “boys” sport.

That’s a lot better than being disrespected for being a girl.

“When I first started in junior high, it was kind of tough,” said Ali Bernard, the native of New Ulm, Minn., and the two-time Junior women’s champion at 150 pounds who was named the girl’s Wrestler of the Deanna Rix of Maine (right) won her second straight Junior Women's title at 128 pounds.

Year by Asics. “Where ever you go, there will be guys who forfeit to you. They don’t want to wrestle a girl. But I’m sure every girl you talk to here has had that happen to them.”

In fact, most of the young women who took part in the nationals have developed a sisterhood with each other after realizing that they share similar stories:

• they were introduced to the sport near the age of five by either a father or brother who wrestled. (“My dad and brother were high school wrestlers,” said 138-pound Junior women’s champ Na’Tasha Umemoto of Portland, Ore. “I just thought it would be kind of fun. I used to wrestle around with them in the house so I said I’m going to sign up for wrestling.”);

• they received plenty of negative reactions after being the first girl to compete in a boy’s sport. (“A lot of people don’t like it but the people who know me, love me,” said 165-pound Junior women’s champion Melissa Simmons.);

• now, they are receiving some of the fruits of their labor. (“We have a good shot at winning the state championship this year and she’s a big part of that,” said Matt Rix, whose team finished second last season.).

(You can read the rest of this article by subscribing to W.I.N. Magazine. Either contact our office at 1-888-305-0606 or subscribe through this website by selecting the “Subscribe” section on our front page.)

SISTERHOOD OF WRESTLING

Similar stories are common theme among Junior Women

By W.I.N. Staff

The old adage of never hit a girl goes right out the window when it comes to young women wrestling these days … and that’s fine with Deanna Rix and her father, Matt.

“Guys will slap her right in the face and she’ll give them one right back,” smiled Matt, the head wrestling coach at Marshwood High School in South Berwick Maine, where he first introduced his daughter to the sport at the age of 4.

“I was substituting for someone who was missing at 46 pounds,” recalled Deanna, shortly after she won her second straight ASICS/Vaughan Junior Women’s National championship at 128 pounds. “I’ve wrestled ever since then.”

And in the 13 years that have followed, she has learned to take plenty of tough moments from her opponents, most of whom are boys.

“I find they are wrestling her ten times harder than they would against anybody else,” Matt said. “They know if technically they make a mistake, it’s all done. Their only saving grace is that they may have an overpowering move.”

And those moves also mean a few pops in the forehead, which also leads to equal response from this 17-year-old high school senior who hopes to be a team captain for her father’s high school team.

“She’s been called for unsportsmanlike conduct,” admitted Matt. “It doesn’t go both ways, which is irritating because the ref won’t see the first one but will see the retaliation.”

The Rixs, like many of the girls and their families who were in Fargo, N.D., recently for the nationals, don’t mind the physical abuse that many of them face in being the only girls in what used to be a “boys” sport.

That’s a lot better than being disrespected for being a girl.

“When I first started in junior high, it was kind of tough,” said Ali Bernard, the native of New Ulm, Minn., and the two-time Junior women’s champion at 150 pounds who was named the girl’s Wrestler of the Deanna Rix of Maine (right) won her second straight Junior Women's title at 128 pounds.

Year by Asics. “Where ever you go, there will be guys who forfeit to you. They don’t want to wrestle a girl. But I’m sure every girl you talk to here has had that happen to them.”

In fact, most of the young women who took part in the nationals have developed a sisterhood with each other after realizing that they share similar stories:

• they were introduced to the sport near the age of five by either a father or brother who wrestled. (“My dad and brother were high school wrestlers,” said 138-pound Junior women’s champ Na’Tasha Umemoto of Portland, Ore. “I just thought it would be kind of fun. I used to wrestle around with them in the house so I said I’m going to sign up for wrestling.”);

• they received plenty of negative reactions after being the first girl to compete in a boy’s sport. (“A lot of people don’t like it but the people who know me, love me,” said 165-pound Junior women’s champion Melissa Simmons.);

• now, they are receiving some of the fruits of their labor. (“We have a good shot at winning the state championship this year and she’s a big part of that,” said Matt Rix, whose team finished second last season.).

(You can read the rest of this article by subscribing to W.I.N. Magazine. Either contact our office at 1-888-305-0606 or subscribe through this website by selecting the “Subscribe” section on our front page.)

825439591[/snapback]

sounds to me like their Dad's pushed them into the sport. Living vicariously thru their daughters. To be fair, as many Dad's do thru their sons.

• 4 weeks later...
Rigger,

Yes we now have women pilots in the military.  The question is what will the United States citizens do when one of their women is shot down behind the wrong line and the enemy shows her being abused (sexual) on television or the internet.  This will happen so everyone needs to be prepared for it.  Some of the 3rd world countries will do this very thing in a New York minute. 

Women do not need to be in combat.  It's horrible for men and I would never want my daughter fighting on the front lines.

825435368[/snapback]

Guess what over there the men get raped also.