Maryville/Central II

Rebel Nation

Maryville,Central and Powell are showing how strong region 3 4A is. All 3 of these teams are really good.

I expect a much tougher game between Maryville and Central. There is no way Maryville beats them by 46 this time. It will be much closer.

Maryville must contain Helton just like they did 4 weeks ago. If Helton breaks containment Maryville will be in trouble. Maryville can't let Terrence Scott and David Gaston get in the open field.

Maryville needs Ryan Tallent back. He is the best tailback Maryville has. He is a gamebreaker. Losing Antonio Byner is devastating. Offensive line needs to win the line of scrimmage. Last night is the 1st time all year I saw the offensive line get whipped some. Cade and his receiver need good games. Maryville must play well to beat Central.

825430482[/snapback]

I agree Rebelron. Two games are never the same. You either get better of worse, there is no in between. Will these guys improve this week in practice? Will the senior leadership show up or will they just go home early like last year?

Go Rebs.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville surviving Powell will push them over the edge confidence wise...now they think/know they cant be beaten. Powell's O line and D line was the best Maryville will face in the playoffs....Central wont touch Cade on D and they wont be able to run on Maryville like Powell did...and we all know what happened when they tried to pass it. Central is a little young and if they get down early i dont see them coming back.

Maryville - 35

Central - 10

Classic statement there Ron, the Maryville O seems to look to Tallent as the leader and without question, needs him back in the line up. Do think Tank and Singleton can contribute big given the O line steps up to where Coach Ellis expects them to play. Powell was very physical up front and did test MHS's Line beyond a normal contest. Brooks said he was tired big time. Cade did a good job but was cold as ice in the 2nd half. Some great passes to Childs, Jenkins and Clement in the first half and showed leadership keeping things calm when the execution was flat. No turn-overs was a big advantage, 3-0. I also think the great punting job by Sacchet, that you won’t read about, was a huge and real key in terms to field position.

I think if Maryville gets off to the normal fast start, Central folds the tents, hangs the head and gives up! Too many kids going both ways to include Daddy's QB in the secondary! Helton is doing a great job behind center, but does not have the stamina to go both ways as physical Maryville will be. I don’t think Smith, Killebrew and Voto will let Helton get outside because fundamentally they are to well coached. Last night Powell dig get outside when the DE stunted to the inside on a few plays in order to shut down the middle. Gaylor made those calls all night he told me and the secondary had to make to many tackels. The secondary played big as well they were very stingey! Central is not as physical as Powell but make up for it with some outstanding athletes. I just don't think Central has the come back power with out a kid like Jackson of the past few years. But this is the play-offs and if Powell did not have their tongs hanging out in the fourth quarter last night, I'm not sure we would be talking about Central coming to Maryville! Good job Rebels bending but not breaking, the defense again won this one!

I'll take Maryville and lay 35 pts, right now, right here. Any takers? Nope.

Now, the Tennessee High match up, that is another story. The Vikings are loaded and will challange Maryville to the end.

That is the game of the year in 4A

825430144[/snapback]

Finally a reasonable comment. I don't want to get people upset but if you honestly believe Maryville will beat Tennessee High 56-2, think again. I'm not sure who will win but it won't be a blowout.

So far both teams are realizing that you have to take this one week at a time.

Tennessee 31 Sullivan South 17- That game was a lot closer than the score indicated. Beating a team twice in a season can be difficult. Just go back to the plays that got you here and quit relying on brand new plays that you have never done before.

Maryville 21 Powell 16- That score suprised me. I wasn't there so I won't comment on that game.

Good luck to both teams next week!

Well the rematch with Central has already been decided. Central's own Orlando Blair says the outcome will be Central 32 Maryville 21. The article in the News Sentinel also had Coach Joel Helton mentioning Maryville in his first quote following the Red Bank game. Their obessision with us is really kind of funny. Probably why they have laid an egg so many times also. THEY THINK ABOUT IT TOO MUCH! Maryille needs to approach this game as if they were the ones who lost 56=10 a month ago.Talked to R Tallent last night after the game and he said he is fine and will be back next week. They considered putting him back in last night but resisted. Head no official word on AB but several guessed the he is likely done. I hate it for him but Singleton ripped one for about 60 yards last night and Baker is good also.

Tennessee Viking who on here said we would beat you 56=2? I am sure you guys probably have a real good team, but I don't think there is the same competition in that area as there is here. I think there are three teams in our region who would stand a better than average chance of competing with, and possibly beating you. The fact that you are playing a team with 4 losses in the quarterfinals also seems to point this out. Time will tell though.

I know this has already been said and I know Cental beat them but Powell causes more match up problems this year for Maryville than any other team they have faced. They could be the region favorites heading into next year.

Yeah but you can't go by some records around here; You can't go by who beat who. Sullivan South is a good team. They have some people on their team that really wanted the victory last night and they showed it. It was pouring down and they were fighting for every yard they got. When a team plays with as much heart as they did, you hate to see them lose.

The problem with South is that they are too emotional in the game. If they are trailing 7-0 they think the game is over. You can't have that type of attitude in a game. If they played with the type of optimistic attitude they had last night, they could have easily went in to that game with a 10-1 record.

As for the teams in Region 3, Powell had 3 losses and nearly defeated Maryville. It's hard to go out and beat the same team twice in a single season. They already know what your coming with.

If we went by who beat who then...

Region 3 Maryville defeated Region 2 Morristown West 38-0 (sounds impressive)

Region 2 Cherokee(an 8-2 team) defeated Region 2 Morristwon West 24-0

Region 1 Tennessee High destroys Region 2 Cherokee 48-14

(Now the top match doesn't seem that impressive when a "no competition region" team easily shut out Morristown West just like Maryville did later in the season when both teams have improved.)

Yeah I think other schools in Region 3 are good, but I think it's mostly fabrication. If they can easily defeat Tennessee High than why are they not 2nd in State?

Because they can't beat Tennessee High. First of all because they won't face Tennessee unless they upset Maryville. Secondly, they won't go into the game with experience against Tennessee. It's real easy to hold your own against a team when you have already faced them and know their plays.

1st Game Maryville easily defeated Powell 42 to something (13 or 10 I think)

2nd Game Maryville 21 Powell 16

Edited by THSVikings2004

Viking Fans, quit worrying about us. Us Maryville fans all ready know that you need to take one game at a time. THS fans havent yet learned that concept. Your already talking about playing us and you havent even played Elizabethton yet. I hope cyclones open a can on you guys so you can be quit about your o so awesome vikings playing us rebels. Please get back to Maryville v.s Central.

Maryville- 42

Central- 10