ELIZABETHTON AT TENNESSEE HIGH 4A

TellTheTruth2004

Why you gotta be crappy about it man?  Most of us have given your vikes props.  No need to be a lil punk about it.

825437257[/snapback]

As far as your "props" go... I give you guys all the credit you deserve, you are in fact one of the best teams in the state, but it's not because of your players, but what your coaches do WITH your players that makes you guys so good.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rebelnation

Let's see...home cookin from the refs, wet field, a li over the top. I' have probably done worse though. I'm just gettin tired of the attacks this week. Your's wasn' that bad. My aplogoes.

You see...there's another veiled jab. We have great athletes vt...you'll find out soon enuff. Sounds like you watched the game with bobcat/viking colored glasses.

Edited by Rebelnation

“BIG GAMES” are in the eye of the beholder as far as I’m concerned. THS chooses not to believe that they are playing teams made up of the rejects from the elementary school playground like you REGION 3 big dogs would have us to believe. So with that said…

:D Sorry... I meant "we AREN"T playing teams...". But you probably figured that one out. :)

THS is averaging over 44 points per game and the Vikings do it mainly behind a varied, physical running attack but do not have the best passing attack.  The Cyclones will lean on the passing of pretty good quarterback and hope the D can slow TN HI’s running attack.  THS will rely on its O-line to open the holes for the wing-T type offence.  THS’ line, has good speed to pull on sweeps yet can also drive-block you off the scrimmage line with its size.  I think Elizabethton can win this game buy using balance and limiting mistakes.  Elizabethton is peaking and TN Hi is not used to being challenged as evidenced by two close play-off games.

825436946[/snapback]

Not so fast there FBE, I don't know if I would say that we don't have the best passing attack. We just use it sparingly to set up the run. The passing game is there and I'll give you a short run down of our weapons:

The QB was easily the fastest QB in the conference, and probably in East TN. He easily escapes pressure and throws good on the run. In the jamboree to open the season, he won the long pass contest with throws over 60 yards, so he can throw the deep ball. He is very accurate when he is on, and has been victim to a some dropped passes this year.

His go to receiver is the fastest player on the team, and I strongly feel he has been underutilized by the coaching staff. But, when you are 12-0 and haven't needed to use him much (yet!), then I can't complain. He is a very capable receiver with usual good hands, but with his few touches can drop balls. He is 6'2" and can outjump most anybody.

Another underutilized receiver was a first time player who is a basketball star with supersoft hands. He's got great moves in the open field when we get him the ball.

The TE has great hands and is extremely hard to bring down when we get him the ball. He had one of the best catches I've seen all year from any team.

All of the running backs do a good job of catching the ball out of the backfield, and of course run well after the catch.

My point is we have a very formidable passing attack, and we will use it when it is necessary.

Right vtour you said

"Well, I have in fact watched them play this year. I saw the first meeting of Maryville/Central. It was a game that could have went either way early on, and if Central's QB had not fumbled on the 10 yd. line (it looked more like a pass to me, but not when you're at Maryville's home field...), then the outcome could have been very different."

"It was a game that could have went either way early on"? No kidding?

Every game could go either way till one takes control and shows they are a better team that night. Maryville was the better team that night. The ball was thrown because a few of those non-athletes Smith, Smith, Killebrew, Caylor, Tucker, Kimsey, Valentine and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head were in the back field all night. Clement was simply playing the outfield!

Sure anyone can beat Maryville, no question it has happend. Since that 0-4 start to the 2000 campaign, Maryville is 65-2, and last week earned it's eighth consecutive trip to the quarterfinals of the TSSAA Playoffs. But like you also said "But it's not because of your players". Hope you get the chance to really come and see our players. You sound like the goat.

I thought this was a Tennessee High- Elizabethton thread??? Are the Viking and Rebel fans so arrogant that they are both overlooking their quarterfinal games this friday?? Nobody outside of Carter County gives the Cyclones a chance of beating the mighty Vikings. I like that. Underdog. Odds against you. Nobody expects you to win. Playing in the legendary Stone Castle. Might as well mail it in. Right......Tell that to the boys in orange and black.

Edited by coaches_corner

I thought this was a Tennessee High- Elizabethton thread???  Are the Viking and Rebel fans so arrogant that they are both overlooking their quarterfinal games this friday??  Nobody outside of Carter County gives the Cyclones a chance of beating the mighty Vikings.  I like that.  Underdog.  Odds against you.  Nobody expects you to win. Playing in the legendary Stone Castle. Might as well mail it in.  Right......Tell that to the boys in orange and black.

825437962[/snapback]

The best post I've seen yet.

Very well said coaches corner.

Hey Mike V your fans are forgetting there is a game Friday. I am Betsy boy, I know you all are a better team, but the better team doesnt always win. Thanks for keeping to the thread Mike, the rest of the Viking faithhful, already has you in Blount County. I believe there is a game in Bristol on the 19th.

Ths has some great kids coachs and fans and it will be a game friday. I hope Betsy plays up to there full potential. Then we may have a chance. I believe with all my heart, we can win. Now all we have to do is prove it on the field.[THE HARD PART]

Go CLONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Drem2Achev

Hey Mike V your fans are forgetting there is a game Friday. I am Betsy boy, I know you all are a better team, but the better team doesnt always win. Thanks for keeping to the thread Mike, the rest of the Viking faithhful, already has you in Blount County. I believe there is a game in Bristol on the 19th.

Ths has some great kids coachs and fans and it will be a game friday. I hope Betsy plays up to there full potential. Then we may have a chance. I believe with all my heart, we can win. Now all we have to do is prove it on the field.[THE HARD PART]

Go CLONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

825438242[/snapback]

Hey Drem2 ... please don't lump all the "Viking fans" together. Most of us know there is a game in town this Friday and have been looking forward to it all week. No one outside of this forum believes that we're on our way to Blount County until business at the Stone Castle is concluded sucessfully this friday night.

Good luck to you and the rest of Betsy!

Let's go Vikes... time to bounce again and take care of business.

My first post here, but I've been reading. I'm old enough to have seen the THS glory years and recently had a son wear the maroon and white.

I have heard some folks here in Bristol claim they've seen films of the great teams of '71 and '72 and offer the opnion that this year's squad is better. Maybe, maybe not. I personally don't think so...though I am a 100% backer of these kids.

One thing absolutely sure about those long-ago teams is that they NEVER took a team lightly. We've done that two weeks in a row.

Ironic thing is how few teams even made the playoffs in those days. In our National Championship season of '72 the absolute toughest game of the year was at Elizabethton in the regular season. And they stayed home. Nobody in the playoffs were half as tough as Elizabethton.

Big Vike Daddy,

I shared your frustration about the offense when my son was there. I love the coaches. It could have been much worse as far as results on the field as well as the leadership examples they set. But, I always thought they should have opened up the offense BEFORE they needed to. If for no other reason than to give the defense something to worry about. Then, when we got to the tougher teams, we'd have been more ready.

I think Stubbs was talking about the shotgun formation and all the screen passes they tried. I was hoping they would throw the ball vertically. The lone long pass attempted was a third and long rollout to the left that resulted in a bad overthrow of an open Mo Whitten. The most successful passes this year seem to have been the crossing pass to Mo or the tight end Zack Morton. Most of Howington's yardage has come from running after short passes. These didn't work last week. Plus, it looked like South covered the crossing patterns well. And Howington dropped a sure first-down on third and long once. When you are only getting a few possessions, you can't waste them.

What was missing was Mo, Bell and Canty doing some power running. Is it possible that they just did too much passing early this time, going against form? I think so. And the execution just wasn't there. I wouldn't abandon the pass, just go back and use what has worked before. Try to conceal plays and confuse the defense.

Of course it's very easy for us to sit here and do some keyboard coaching. If the early passes last week had worked, we'd all have said: Hooray! they're finally throwing early and on first down! We need to keep some perspective on what a tough job they have.

I missed the first game against Elizabethton, so I don't know about their linemen. In my humble opinion, that was the biggest thing about the last two weeks. Both Morristown West and South used a big O-Line to pound out long drives with chunks of 5. 7, 9. etc. yards a pop. Unlike some recent years, I think we do much better against the pass-happy teams (see: EAST).

For this Friday, I'm hoping for a dry field. I think that plays to our strengths which are speed and the ability to make cuts on the run on offense, and pursuit on defense.