Redistricting AAA

randymc

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Opp,

They finally posted the new districts on the TSSAA website.

The new 14AAA will be

Bolton

Bartlett

Cordova

Millington

Craigmont

Raleigh Egypt

Arlington (in 2 years)

The new 13AAA will be

Brighton

Munford

JCM

Hardin Co.

Ronnie Carter told me that he divided the area by geography. Several years back (twenty plus), he was going to put all of the county schools in one district and divide the Memphis City Schools into two other districts. He said this plan created such a stir and people claimed it was racially motivated. Said that he wouldn't ever do that again so that is why he goes by geography and lets the chips fall where they may. It appears that he could have used Walnut Grove as the divider.

I understand that redistricting is huge undertaking, so I hesitate to criticize.

How can geography play such a key role in one area of the state and not in others? Tradition is the key to no changes being made in district 7AAA and district 9AAA. Geographically Rutherford County should have a district to itself shouldn't it? It has done wonders for the competion in football. Smyrna, LaVergne, Blackman, Oakland, Riverdale, and siegel are natural rivals. It helps competition and it helps gate receipts, not to mention cutting down on travel. Wilson County and Sumner County schools would comprise a wonderful district with great competition and atmosphere. It has always made me wonder how there is only one county in the state of Tennessee that can send four teams to the state tournament in any given year (only one other can send three). As much as everyone believes that Memphis-Shelby County is the Hoops Capital of the state and possibly the south- It ain't them.

Eventually these two districts will have to be split as there will continue to be growth in these two areas of the state. Why not now? Some schools are continuing to dish out large sums of money to travel for district and region games when logical alternatives are available.

Ronnie Carter told me that he divided the area by geography.  Several years back (twenty plus), he was going to put all of the county schools in one district and divide the Memphis City Schools into two other districts.  He said this plan created such a stir and people claimed it was racially motivated.  Said that he wouldn't ever do that again so that is why he goes by geography and lets the chips fall where they may.  It appears that he could have used Walnut Grove as the divider.

825435784[/snapback]

You know how Memphis is. I'm sure there's people who would claim me getting up in the morning is racially motivated.

I don't think splitting the city and county like that would be racially motivated -- it's not like Germantown, Millington, and Bartlett are like Houston in terms of demographics.

R-E and Craigmont could have some fun with the city championship pairings now. Are they going to do designated games and put Craigmont and R-E in "15AAA" for the city championship?

And it has to have been less than 20 years ago. I know when I was in elementary school, 14-AAA (before they went to 5 classes in football) was Bartlett, Germantown, Houston, CBHS, (Briarcrest?), Millington, and a couple of others (Munford/Covington/Dyersburg/Ripley/etc.), but no city schools. *sigh* oh well.

Opperman,

The answer is really simple. In football, Henry County is coming over for a region with JCM, Hardin Co., Munford, Jackson Northside, and Brighton. So, why not bring them over for basketball as well? Granted, this may not be the best solution, but, it sure beats giving the entire district a bye into the region tournament. Another possibility would of been to have put one of the northern Shelby County teams in that district. Millington would of been a possibility.

It is an absolute JOKE to have only 4 teams in district 13 in AAA.  I can't think of ONE good reason why any district would only be assigned 4 teams.  TSSAA.......what in the he** were you thinking?

825435856[/snapback]

There is only 4 teams in district 6 also, but they could easily add Rhea County or Bradley County from the 6 team district 5......... its crazy though.

Opperman,

The answer is really simple.  In football, Henry County is coming over for a region with JCM, Hardin Co., Munford, Jackson Northside, and Brighton.  So, why not bring them over for basketball as well?  Granted, this may not be the best solution, but, it sure beats giving the entire district a bye into the region tournament.  Another possibility would of been to have put one of the northern Shelby County teams in that district.  Millington would of been a possibility.

825437580[/snapback]

Moving one of the county teams over there would be stupid, but I've learned never to put that past the TSSAA in their realignments. Even if you move Henry County to 13-AAA, it's still a really small district.