Wartburg Basketball

b_ball_king

I think Hackler from Rockwood will be a fun player to watch. I was told he threw down a 360 in practice.

I didn't say he's the best player though. He's got a lot of things to work on, but he really has potential.

As far as the district goes, who knows. I think Rockwood, Harriman, Wartburg, Oneida and Coalfield will all be in the mix. All five have key players to replace, but they also have a good nucleus to work with.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wartburg played Temple this summer in a three way scrimmage with Rockwood. I personally guarded both the Skogen kids and trust me, they are both the real deal. Temple is a legitimite contender for the state title for several reasons. First, they have a great coach with an even better system. They run the 1-4 high to perfection that is almost impossible to defend. Secondly, they have the skogens. simple as that. Lastly, their defense is very different. most teams force baseline, not temple, they force middle. It is a very impressive defensive scheme. Now to the talk of the Shannon kid. Trust me, i go against this kid everyday in practice, and he has the complete package. he knows the system, runs almost as well as Jonathan Vespie did. The great thing about him is that he is only a junior. To  put it plainly, is he one of the best guards in the region, and with the melton kid down low, other teams could be in some serious trouble. Wartburg will shock some people this year.

825435002[/snapback]

That great defense you talk about is the way all teams played defense not to many years ago when I was in school if you gave up the baseline the coach would give you a seat on the bench thats the way all defenses was ran back in the day but the 3 point line and teams style of offense has change that

kingB, I think Jonathon will put up better numbers. He scored around 10 in a half against AC's posts that play better defense than probably anyone in the region. The thing is you cant double him because then you leave our guards open and they are stroking it. Jono has worked his butt off and if he wants it bad enough could be district MVP. He is that good.

Wartburg scrimmaged West high school last night and lost by five. west is a triple AAA school with a lot of athletes. Melton had 27. 27 points against a triple AAA school!! I agree with KingB, he will be, at times, unstoppable this year. And also, if you look in the past, anytime wartburg has any presence at all inside, they succeed. What will happen is, is that Melton will average about 15 a game, and wartburgs exceptional guard play,depth, and the ol' coach Joe Layne will do the rest.

Knox West was 9-16 last year, so thats not the typical record of a AAA powerhouse. Granted, its a big school with more students to draw from, so the game will make you better. The tallest player on their frontline goes about 6'4", so Melton should have been able to score over some of West's post players. Still, you obviously competed well with the Rebels, so good job. :rolleyes:

Guess who is back people yes you guessed it b_ball_king. Now for starters lets talk more about the SHANNON kid Kazam37. I think this kid has the ability to play D-1. For starters he has the ability, the potential, and the right set of mind to play for a big school. Wartburg has 2 maybe even 3 that could make it D-1. Jeremy Shannon, Jason Melton, and Adam Vespie. And guess what the great thing about these 3 is that they are only JUNIORS. Wartburg also has 2 OUTSTANDING Sophmores Travis Nelson and DJ Shannon. OH yeah almost forgot the Jerriel Inman and Brent Hamby. 2 more players that could also play somewhere good. I think all of these guys are to much for Orick to handle. The BULLDOGS will give the Indians a lot more than they can handle.