kid with a heart

wrestletim

My nephew introduced me to this sight. very intresting.

I've got an 8th grade kid that loves the sport, he lives this sport, he breathes, he sleeps this sport. It's all he lives for. He's improved tremendously but still can't quite make the varsity team and coach has had patience up till now and seems to tell him he's just not trying hard enough. I've seen him and he gives 110% but still can't quite do it. He's a great kid and tries really hard. I read all the posts about state qualifiers but we're just trying to get out of exhibition. Any suggestions?

concerned dad

Read the thread titled Kyle Maynard still helping others. Tell him to just keep working as hard as he can he can and believe in himself. I knew a kid that lost every 8th grade match he had, he kept working hard and was a 2 time State Champ and went on to wrestle for the #1 ranked college in the nation. Good Luck!

Tim,

Find out what makes your nephew tick. Does he visualize matches in his head? I remind my kids everyday to go through 2 or 3 COMPLETE matches in their head. Make them see the the disc flip in between periods, hitting shots, finishing moves, getting escapes and reversals, hear the crowd, concentrate on technique. I DRILL this into them over and over. You know how many kids lose a wrestling match when they visualize it in their head.........none!

This may help! And keep reassuring him that he's on the right track.

coach has had patience up till now and seems to tell him he's just not trying hard enough.

I've seen him and he gives 110% but still can't quite do it. He's a great kid and tries really hard.

825440424[/snapback]

concerned dad,

It appears that you and the coach have a different opinion of the situation. If a young man is trying really hard and has athletic ability, then he should be able to enjoy a reasonable amount of success unless he lacks the technical skills. If you're convinced of the above and you do not know the skills yourself and if his current coach is not able to teach him those skills, then it appears that you should seek additional coaching. No different then a student using a tudor for a math class. I'll bet that the majority of very successful high school wrestlers utilize coaching from several different sources along with summer camps and practicing with many different quality wrestlers.

Good luck.

Suumer camps and schools helped my son. You need to find out what fits him. What moves is he comfortable with ones he can perform and be successful with. Is it legs, the cradle, whatvever he is comfortable with he will do well. See if the coach may have tapes of matches and have him watch and learn. I know several wrestling families that do just that.

Take him to watch matches. Have him watch guys like him. I wish you & him luck.

Where are you located? More specific answers may be availible if folks know where u r.

When I was being introduced to the sport, I found the best guy on the team that was around my weight and wrestled with him as much as possible. I spent a lot of time on my back in practice and on the bench during duels. By my Junior year however, I was region champ and did fairly well at state. Just keep working hard and work with the best.

Suumer camps and schools helped my son. You need to find out what fits him. What moves is he comfortable with ones he  can perform and be successful with.  Is it legs, the cradle, whatvever he is comfortable with he will do well.  See if the coach may have tapes of matches and have him watch and learn.  I know several wrestling families that do just that.

Take him to watch matches. Have him watch guys like him. I wish you & him luck.

Where are you located? More specific answers may be availible if folks know where u r.

825440712[/snapback]

He struggles with shooting. Seems like they always sprawl on him and then he gets yelled at for not shooting. ?? I was not personally a wrestler but from watching for several years I feel like I understand what is going on at least from a spectator perspective. He did go to two camps this year and improved alot but with high school right around the corner I'm afraid his ambitions will deteriorate. We do encourage all the time though. We are in the Murfreesboro area but thinking about moving to Williamson county before the end of the school year. Any suggestions as to where? We have another budding wrestler coming along shortly.

He struggles with shooting. Seems like they always sprawl on him and then he gets yelled at for not shooting. ?? I was not personally a wrestler but from watching for several years I feel like I understand what is going on at least from a spectator perspective.  He did go to two camps this year and improved alot but with high school right around the corner I'm afraid his ambitions will deteriorate.  We do encourage all the time though.  We are in the Murfreesboro area but thinking about moving to Williamson county before the end of the school year. Any suggestions as to where? We have another budding wrestler coming along shortly.

825441445[/snapback]

Franklin High has an excellent coaching staff and program. You can read the string about Independance High on this forum. You may be suprised how giving of knowledge and help the Nashville wrestling community are. I am not knocking the Boro or anywhere else BUt I do know that if you come to Willamson county or Nashville their are alot of resources. \

At Ryan we have an excellent staff. The take kids that have never wrestled, my son for example, and make them champions.

I woudl also , again, encourage you to take him to watch other schools wrestle he will learn olt. Good Luck. For any other info email me..

Franklin High has an excellent coaching staff and program. You can read the string about Independance High on this forum.  You may be suprised how giving of knowledge and help the Nashville wrestling community are.  I am not knocking the Boro or anywhere else BUt I do know that if you come to Willamson county or Nashville their are alot of resources.  \

At Ryan we have an excellent staff. The take kids that have never wrestled, my son for example, and make them champions.

I woudl also , again, encourage you to take him to watch other schools wrestle he will learn olt. Good Luck. For any other info email me..

825441457[/snapback]

Thanks. I've always liked Williamson county so I was hoping they had good programs there.

Thanks.  I've always liked Williamson county so I was hoping they had good programs there.

825441477[/snapback]

Wrestletim------from your messages, it appears that your son is an 8th grader though in your first message you mention wrestling "varsity". Is he an 8th grader wrestling middle school? If so, the middle school seasons in this area seem to all end in the December-January time frame. If you are considering moving in to the Williamson County area for next year, then I would encourage your son to look in to wrestling in one of the Williamson County off-season youth wrestling programs which are available for up to 7th/8th graders. The FCI season usually starts up around late January. Williamson County has a club that wrestles in that program as does does Davidson County ( Copperheads). Hendersonville has one. I think that M'boro used to have one called the Sheriff's Sharpshooters. Most of the Franklin kids came up through this off-season program as middle schoolers. They practice twice a week at night and wrestle on weekends. Everybody wrestles--------you can enter as many as you want at each weight class at the tournaments---------- so it is an excellent way for your son to pick up extra real mat time. Also, it will allow him to get to know and make friends with some of the kids he will be wrestling with/against in high school. You will see messages about these clubs pop up here and on the TWF site-----------tennesseewrestling.com-------beginning early January.

I think all of the suggestions are great, but keep it in perspective. He's just a kid and where most states have freshman and JV teams a wrestler may not get a chance at varsity until his sophmore or jr year. I think Tennessee wrestling may expect too much to early. We had a kid on our team when I was in school dubbed "Slow Mow Mastison". It would take him 30 seconds to complete a switch, but he loved the sport and kept trying. His nitch was once he got hold of you he didn' t let go. He was a sectional, regional, semi state champion and went to state his senior year in Indiana. Good Luck to the eighth grader! Keep encouraging him. It'll come.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in sixth grade I lost every mach. I had 16 of 22. I hated losing, but I got use. Then in seventh grade I had 4 maches total and lost 1 it made me feel better. Then I did FCI and I almost made it to state which made me feel good. Now I'm eighth grade and I lost 1 mach I've won 6 and I set a new school record I pinned a kid in 7 secounds.

All I did was do FCI do Freestyle go to camps and worked out a lot. A whole lot of working out. It work now I'm really confodent. All I have to say is work work and work at it and never give up. thumb

Good Luck

Ben Little

Edited by Patriot5