Blount County Championship

Rebel Nation

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

It saddened me to see Heritage drop Alcoa from its schedule and possibly WB. Hey WB AD and other officials. DO NOT DROP ALCOA FROM THE SCHEDULE! If the fear of losing to a quality opponent is your reason like Heritage suggests then why do you continue to schedule Central and Maryville. As a Blount County resident and HS football fan I'd much rather go watch WB and Alcoa rather than Alcoa vs. Podunk High from 100 miles away. County games always have a huge turnout and county pride is always on the line. I shouldn't say it but here it goes. Coach Rewis and the Heritage admin are wusses. To be the man you have to beat the man. Don't run from quality competition. All you're doing is admitting your lame and trying to validate it with this bs excuse. I'd be willing to bet your kids get up a bit more when WB, Alcoa, and Maryville are on the schedule rather than McMinn Co. or Soddy Daisy. Once again a Blount County school makes a lousy decision. Good luck next year against the Sisters Of The Poor or any other patsy you try and line up. Sad.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GovMan: WB splitt :o ing games with Alcoa the last few years doesn't equate with WB "beating them on a regular basis in recent years" as you stated. Also, it is beneath you to blame the referees for WB losing the Alcoa game this year. Alcoa simply was the better team and it would be nice if you gave them some credit once a while. The truth is WB had high expectations this year and failed to reach those expectations for whatever reasons. Accept the fact that your boys had a disappointing seasons -- do not throw darts at another team.

I hate to see the county schools drop Alcoa from their schedules for the simple reason of tradition. I played for Alcoa in the late 70s and I remember watching the 1st Alcoa/Heritage game and playing in the 1st Alcoa/WB game. I still remember those games. Both Heritage and WB have had some success against Alcoa at various times over the years and they would probably would again if they continued to play. There is something special about having the opportunity to play against your friends at Maryville, Heritage, and WB every year. Those games don't measure up to playoff games but they come pretty close.

Also, what kind of message are the county coaches sending to their players -- "let's pick up an easy win instead of playing a good, solid team so we can improve as a team". A team doesn't improve by running away from good competition. A willingness to play anyone, anywhere, anytime is the mark of a champion team.

Last but not least, if the county teams were dead set on dropping Alcoa from the schedule it is their right to do so but they should have had enough maturity and class to pick up the phone when they made the decision and phoned the Alcoa staff so they could have made alternative plans. There is no excuse for that.

Alright Tornado, Soddy Daisy could wipe the field clean with you all. Don't go too overboard man. You might have a point with McMinn though. McMinn has had good years though. I rmember them stomping Maryville down there years ago (early 90's). Tokie McCray was QB.

I understand the sentiment gentlemen...the only way your gonna get better is to play good teams from your division. As a suggestion to all schools involved, if you wanna get better, find a way to schedule one or two of the top programs in your division. Heritage and WB, play DB, Soddy or Riverdale. Alcoa, get Lipscomb or someone on your schedule. Maryville needs to schedule a DB, or Oak Ridge.

That might be easier said than done, I realize, but you have to try. This istuation is giving you no choice, so embrace it and work towards the future....like MLREB said.

GovMan: WB splitt :o ing games with Alcoa the last few years doesn't equate with WB "beating them on a regular basis in recent years" as you stated.  Also, it is beneath you to blame the referees for WB losing the Alcoa game this year.  Alcoa simply was the better team and it would be nice if you gave them some credit once a while.  The truth is WB had high expectations this year and failed to reach those expectations for whatever reasons.  Accept the fact that your boys had a disappointing seasons -- do not throw darts at another team.

I hate to see the county schools drop Alcoa from their schedules for the simple reason of tradition.  I played for Alcoa in the late 70s and I remember watching the 1st Alcoa/Heritage game and playing in the 1st Alcoa/WB game.  I still remember those games.  Both Heritage and WB have had some success against Alcoa at various times over the years and they would probably would again if they continued to play.  There is something special about having the opportunity to play against your friends at Maryville, Heritage, and WB every year.  Those games don't measure up to playoff games but they come pretty close.

Also, what kind of message are the county coaches sending to their players -- "let's pick up an easy win instead of playing a good, solid team so we can improve as a team".  A team doesn't improve by running away from good competition.  A willingness to play anyone, anywhere, anytime is the mark of a champion team.

Last but not least, if the county teams were dead set on dropping Alcoa from the schedule it is their right to do so but they should have had enough maturity and class to pick up the phone when they made the decision and phoned the Alcoa staff so they could have made alternative plans.  There is no excuse for that.

825448165[/snapback]

JRC,

I DID NOT mean to imply that I was blaming referees for WB's loss to Alcoa. I was simply countering someone else who said Alcoa would have won by a lot more had it not been for the refereeing by saying WB could have griped about the refs as well. Sorry if I came across as "throwing darts" ... that wasn't my intention. I'm hoping the Tornadoes bring home a gold ball this year.

Everything else you said, I'm with you 100% .

FBEmeritus: Why are you so negative towards Alcoa? You are never willing to give them any credit. They could beat Maryville, the University of Tennessee, go underfeated, and win the mythical national championship and you would still refuse to compliment them.

Personally, I am willing to give credit where credit is due. Even though I am not a Maryville fan I still respect their program. In fact, I consider Maryville to have one of the top, if not the best, prep programs in the state. When I have Knoxville friends ask me about Maryville I speak about great coaching, great tradition, great dedication, etc... If you hate Alcoa for some reason so be it but don't let those feelings color your comments on this board which usually are insightful.

Also about Alcoa and tuition students: about 30% of Alcoa students pay tuition. That number will decrease in the future due to the growth of the city. Instead of the county folks complaining about the number of tuition students at Alcoa or Maryville maybe you should be asking yourself why these kids are bypassing the county schools on their way to play for the city teams.

GovMan: You know you can always come back home to Alcoa. I'm sure you had positive memories of your time with the football team a few years ago and you can't beat the sense of family that you find in a small community. If you go back to your more conservative theological beliefs maybe we can hook you up with First Baptist Alcoa. If not then maybe we can hook you up with my church -- First Methodist Alcoa, long time home of OC Abbott. :o

Alcoa Fans,

Embrace this time in your program's future as the day you were liberated from having to play the county schools (no offense govman). Go on and schedule teams that will better prepare you for your season, like Fulton or AE or Soddy Daisy or Cahtolic or heck....maybe even Karns.

Geez!! How could anyone at Alcoa be tore up about this. Hey Govman, who are ya'll replacing Alcoa with?

FBE----The comments you made about Alcoa seem to come with a flavor of arrogance. First of all Maryville has a great football system beginning with the youth programs. While not a Maryville fan I appreciate the tradition of winning that they have established. To call Alcoa "an inner city school" and say that "Reid made a very un-classy move scoring with 20 seconds left, but consider the program" are reasons that Alcoa faithful can't embrace the idea to support Maryville in their run for another championship. I may be wrong but wasn't a freshman playing quarterback when Alcoa scored than final time. We Alcoa, the inner city ignorant people understand that we are no threat or rival as you stated. Before Maryville fans get on me I have coached in your youth program, know several of the kids and have great respect for them and the programs.

Back to the topic it is sad that we will not be playing the county schools, but if Heritage believes picking up Seymour and Campbell will translate into automatic wins they should check Seymour's recent record. I believe that Campbell County made the playoff and had a winning season. I have heard that Alcoa is looking to pad its win total by adding a school in Knoxville with no football tradition or recent success----Fulton. I guess that Alcoa understands that to get better and be ready when the playoffs arrive, that playing good competition is vital.

Success is not measured by wins alone. Preparation, Dedication and Heart are the keys for success in football and life.

FBE----The comments you made about Alcoa seem to come with a flavor of arrogance.  First of all Maryville has a great football system beginning with the youth programs.  While not a Maryville fan I appreciate the tradition of winning that they have established.  To call Alcoa "an inner city school" and say that "Reid made a very un-classy move scoring with 20 seconds left, but consider the program" are reasons that Alcoa faithful can't embrace the idea to support Maryville in their run for another championship.  I may be wrong but wasn't a freshman playing quarterback when Alcoa scored than final time.  We Alcoa, the inner city ignorant people understand that we are no threat or rival as you stated.  Before Maryville fans get on me I have coached in your youth program, know several of the kids and have great respect for them and the programs. 

Success is not measured by wins alone.  Preparation, Dedication and Heart are the keys for success in football and life.

825448311[/snapback]

Viper,

After reading your post I feel like you have used a broad brush to label all Maryville fans because of one person's statements about Alcoa. How does that make you different from him? I can assure you that a majority of Alcoa fans DO support Maryville's run for a state championship just as most Maryville fans support Alcoa's run.

Good luck to Alcoa. I hope I can be one of the Maryville fans cheering on Alcoa in Murfeesboro two Fridays from now, regardless of Maryville's success in making it to the state.