NEW!! Class of 2005 Player Rankings!

gomab2

Tbird...

I doubt you've read most of my posts since the rankings were released BEFORE the season started...

I have consistently said lately that Caleb is one of the fastest moving players in the Rankings... I will update the rankings after the State Finals, but right now, Caleb is in the Top 30...

As for AAU Team, this is very pertinent information...in fact many of the college coaches who read my rankings will know a kid through their AAU program way before their HS... That's why all 315 or so Division 1 schools are represented by at least 2 of their coaches at all of the major events throughout the summer. College coaches identify with a kid often through their AAU program, so a combination of High School and AAU contacts are key in a kid's recruitment...

And of course some of the Top 55 are not going to sign Division 1... Tennessee is very talented, but not enough to have 55 D-1 signees...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOMAB2-I wanted to let you know that James Bolden played really well the past two weeks and if anything deserves to move up but should not move down. His team lost to a very talented Northeast club but James was definitely ready to play. He averaged over 20 pts the last 5 games and right at 12 boards a game. Shooting high 90s from the free throw line and right at 60% or better from the field.

Gomab, I can appreciate TBirds frustration, but of course you would expect that from me. You say that recruitment is a combination of AAU and High School, but am I wrong to say that you short change the high school end of it? It just seems that your emphasis is on AAU. (I am not necessarily criticising that, only asking if that is not the case.) I know that Jake Skogen never played AAU and High School seemed to do him just fine without it. TBird doesn't know all the local talent, and that is my difficulty. Living in Chattanooga, I see Jeff Smith and others, as well as seeing Bailey play and the distance you put between Caleb and those two, just to name a couple, is so great that it really damages your assessment. I am not saying that if your opinion is that they are better you are crazy, I would disagree, because I don't think they are better, but that is just opinion. The problem is in the gap you have between them, that is what I think makes people who know Chattanooga bb and have seen Bailey play, wonder.

One last thing, I would appreciate your response to my comments under the thread regarding 2006 Mr. Basketball, Seth Skogen Sophmore. I know you have already written on that, but I made a post that does concern you and if you could give it a glance, I would appreciate it.

Let me add on more last thing, I know that Temple fans, me included give you a hard time, but I want you to know that your comments are about the only thing on here that are even worth responding to, I mean that as a compliment, what would a good discussion be if there were no respect between the participants? Thanks.

Caleb isnt in the top 55? what a joke.Bailey is 24 and Calebs not on the list? Caleb is on a whole nother leval than Bailey. (i'm not a biased temple fan) Caleb in my opinion is a top 3 player in that Chattanooga area(little, adams skogen. I put him ahead of Jeff smith. jeff has been a major disapiontment this year his team didnt even get out of districts.), and skogen is also a Mr. Basketball finalist.

Really, Skogen not in the Top 55??? Wow, I haven't heard that one before, nor have I resonded in a hundred different threads to this redundant statement...

As for Chatt area players, Jeff Smith is clearly a better prospect than Caleb, as good as Caleb is...and College coaches all over the South and East agree... Jeff is a 6'5 2G with a sweet outside shot and great athletic ability, not to mention is a late bloomer...

Really, Skogen not in the Top 55??? Wow, I haven't heard that one before, nor have I resonded in a hundred different threads to this redundant statement...

As for Chatt area players, Jeff Smith is clearly a better prospect than Caleb, as good as Caleb is...and College coaches all over the South and East agree... Jeff is a 6'5 2G with a sweet outside shot and great athletic ability, not to mention is a late bloomer...

825589793[/snapback]

I agree in that he's 6'5 and that makes him a more sought after prospect, but he isnt doing anything to help his team win.

I will agree that Tyner had a terrible year, and that Caleb does more right now to help his team win than does Jeff. Jeff does not know how to win yet, and has a lot to learn in playing the game. But he is simply dripping with potential and upside, which makes him such a great prospect. In addition, he is an absolutely fantastic kid and has a great work ethic and drive. Jeff has all the tools and natural feel for the game to be an oustanding College player... Best of luck to both Caleb and Jeff at the next level as they represent the state of TN and the city of Chattanooga...

I don't doubt that... But the rankings are based as much on College potential as they are on current production. Not to mention Jeff has gotten it done against some of the best players in the Nation, including High Majors... Remember, some kids flourish in different systems (examples on different ends of the spectrum: Jeff excelled this summer for me MUCH more than he does in HS, and PG Antawn Coby of Union City has excelled in HS ball MUCH more than he did for me also this past summer: in fact, based on HS ball alone, the argument could easily be made that Coby is the superior player to Skogen)... So all of this has to be taken into consideration (HS ball, AAU ball-if they play-, and College Potential and Upside)...

Another example of College Potential is Gallatin's Tyler Troupe. Troupe was not even a favorite for District MVP, nor would he be found as a consistent threat for the Mr. Basketball award. But very few players accross the State contain as much upside and potential as this kid, as a super-athletic, sweet shooting 6'7 G/Wing who has become one of the hottest recruits in the south, drawing some High Major recruitment in addition to a large handful of Mid Major offers... So Troupe is very, very high in the rankings, but not as high as he could be if he put up bigger numbers in HS...