Still playing on Artificial Turf? Yikes!

Dart

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The three new types of artificial turf is much more like grass and you don't have the problems associated with the old carpet type of artificial turf. Since they all use some type of rubber undercoating, it's a much more "giving" surface like soil would be when you fall.

Austin Peay has the new field turf. We played on it and it was great. Plays just like grass. I played on the old astro turf in college and it was terrible. Surface was hard. The painted lines would rip your hide off. The worst part was trying to wash all of those green fibers out of the turf burns after the game. As far as turf burns on the new field: I've seen none, and that is from one HS game and three APSU games. And you don't have to wear turf shoes. You wear your normal grass cleats.

825469981[/snapback]

Amen,brother! I played on the turf on Tech's field for 9 years(elem,junior high & high school). It was bad enough but I never felt pain till we played Northwest on Austin Peay's field in 1985. No padding,like playing on concrete; and those numbers! and the logo at the center of the field! Everybody that got on the field left a bloddy mess. Yeah,get it off turf.I like the games in the 'boro but if they are not going to make a change in the near future then sure,move it to Clarksville.Still centrally located. By the way,Tech still has artificial turf too. It's the best it's ever been but it ain't grass(or FieldTurf). Haven't heard of any plans to change it either.

Austin Peay has the new field turf. We played on it and it was great. Plays just like grass. I played on the old astro turf in college and it was terrible. Surface was hard. The painted lines would rip your hide off. The worst part was trying to wash all of those green fibers out of the turf burns after the game. As far as turf burns on the new field: I've seen none, and that is from one HS game and three APSU games. And you don't have to wear turf shoes. You wear your normal grass cleats.

825469981[/snapback]

So, that's what APSU did with all that scholarship money they're saving since they don't give out scholarships anymore. Hope a lot of people are going out to Clarksville to see APSU play that NAIA Div. III schedule every year. :rolleyes: