What's up with South Greene's coach?

LadyTigersMom

Sounds to me like Coach Ricker was "hard or demanding" of the kids and the kids they have now are soft.  It is obvious from his own statements that he is doing things the same way he has for over twenty years with MUCH success.  Unfortunatley the climate of kids-parents HAS changed in the last twenty years.  The kids are soft and the parents are the reason why.  Most of these kids have never heard the word no and have never had to work for anything in their life.  Then when they are expected to put forth that effort to succeed, they don't have the character themselves to do it. There is no one else for them to blame it on, but the coach since it couldn't EVER be the kids fault.  Unfortunately, it is not isolated to Greenville.

825474535[/snapback]

I am of the belief you can be a successful, demanding coach without being hard and abusive. Fear is not discipline and resentment is not respect.

This is surely a matter of perspective I am sure. What may seem "hard and demanding" to some may be considered harsh and abusive to others.

What has changed, however,is the climate these people are working in. Not only must an adult be careful of what they say to a child they must also be careful how they say it.

School systems are being held liable for the actions of their employees so they no longer can afford to stand behind them when confronted.

Greene County schools has already had to deal with one incident involving a girls basketball coach and I am sure they are anxious to avoid another.

What remains to be seen is how this resignation affects the student body. Ricker is still a respected member of the faculty and coaching staff of South Greene High School. Love him or hate him these students see him every day.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oneshot & Bigchief...

I agree there are a few kids too soft for the competitive programs, but I have to disagree with your statement in general. For the most part, the kids are dedicated and disciplined. The ones who aren't usually end up quitting. I don't think it's fair to categorize all the girls just because you have an opinion of a few. My daughter and some (not all) of her teammates play basketball practically year-round. During the high school season, they play for a very tough and demanding coach. They don't always "like" her, but they respect her on the court. And even when they are mad at her, they still love her off the court. My daughter plays better when her coach is yelling at her and pushing her to her potential. But there is still that fine line that must not be crossed.

Sometimes, a coach's behavior is just not excusable. When it becomes physically or mentally abusive...it's time for the parents to step in. First, they should talk to the coach. Maybe the coach isn't even aware of the negative impact they are having. If it is an isolated incident, maybe that player needs to move on. If it is a problem with the majority, maybe it's time for the coach to change or move on. Remember, coaches are capable of making mistakes too. They are not perfect and should not think they are above everyone else. Just when they start thinking too highly of themselves, they're bound to fall.

Please don't categorize all the players. We shouldn't categorize all coaches either.

Have a good day! ;)

Edited by LadyTigersMom

Coach Ricker was liked (loved) by many. Coach Ricker was disliked by many. But just like Dale Earnhardt put it at least they know about him. No doubt Coach Ricker was an awesome coach. No doubt some things happened that should not have happened. No doubt that Girls High School Basketball in Tennessee has lost a great coach and a leader. Like him or not like him he was good. I was watching a game at Unicoi County once and some of the Unicoi County fans were talking about the way he acted and treated his girls but what they did not see was how their coach was doing the same exact things. Fact is Coach Ricker was good and Coach Ricker knew it! Hate to see him gone but what is done is done! Coach T, I know it has been talked about a lot but in Tennessee High School basketball, this is a major story. Good luck to Coach Ricker!

Why would anyone come on here and criticize Coach Ricker at this point? The man has resigned. He has RESIGNED. If you didn't like him your problem is solved. He has RESIGNED!! What is it that you would like him to do now?

825474686[/snapback]

I agree, and attempted in my now-closed thread to express these sentiments. Evidently I missed the boat on that one.

I've been victimized over the years; based on un-substantiated claims, half-truths or even completely false assertations. It's no fun at all. This is just a very sad episode.

Edited by krichunaka

Well then we need to stop posting things about Refs being bad. We were talking about the situation and the program, and that is Tennessee High School Basketball.

Almost every thread on this site has some form of negative about it.

825474996[/snapback]

Your response makes some sense, I think. But are you responding to the refs thread, this one; or was that a post about all threads with negativism in general?

Well then we need to stop posting things about Refs being bad. We were talking about the situation and the program, and that is Tennessee High School Basketball.

Almost every thread on this site has some form of negative about it.

825474996[/snapback]

The difference in this thread and the official's thread is that it is speaking hypothetically, for the most part, without names being mentioned in those cases where specific examples are given.

In this thread the discussion concerns a situation involving a particular coach, a coach who has responded already by resigning his position for his own reasons. If you choose to start a thread about parents, fans, etc and their relationships with coaches then that is a much more agreeable situation which might actually get some meaningful dialogue on both sides of the issue.