Fleeing the mat

The Lone Haranguer

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

would someone please explain when, why this is called.  some refs do it and it seems some dont

825477923[/snapback]

Some may not be clear on the rules to make consistent judgment. Some may let the emotions of the match affect judgment. Some may try to balance the scales and almost place handicaps where they may have some influence.

This is only my gut opinion about this and other judgment calls.

soms

Fleeing the mat should be called. Our sport is hurting because the matched=s drag out for ever by all the restarts. Wrestling should take plae in the center. After a match where I was very frustrated with an established ref I had im explain to me why I did not get a fleeing the mat or stalling call, when the other wrestler would back up to the boundry line every time and try to shoot on me there or would flee to the out of bounds while I was shooting on him. I won the match but was very upset. The wise old ref tried to explain to me that that was the other kids style or game plan. I tried to explain to him that he had been fooled by a wolf in sheeps clothing!

Some may not be clear on the rules to make consistent judgment.  Some may let the emotions of the match affect judgment.  Some may try to balance the scales and almost place handicaps where they may have some influence.

This is only my gut opinion about this and other judgment calls.

soms

825477931[/snapback]

I think fleeing is a tough one to call. Some refs take the easy way out and call it stalling, which is OK by me. There is a difference in the rulebook, and the only distinction I can really make is when someone goes out of bounds deliberately as a means of avoiding wrestling or contact with the opponent. Judgement indeed plays a huge role here, but I think we should draw the line at intent of the kid. Was he trying to create space for a move or was he avoiding the other guys' takedown/reversal by jumping out of bounds. We'll see improvements (less calls because the kids know not to do it) on this as we see more stalling penalties for playing the line/outside. I've seen more calls for playing the line this year than ever before, and I think it'll overall help the sport.

Fleeing the mat should be called.  Our sport is hurting because the matched=s drag out for ever by all the restarts.  Wrestling should take plae in the center.  After a match where I was very frustrated with an established ref I had im explain to me why I did not get a fleeing the mat or stalling call, when the other wrestler would back up to the boundry line every time and try to shoot on me there or would flee to the out of bounds while I was shooting on him.  I won the match but was very upset.  The wise old ref tried to explain to me that that was the other kids style or game plan.  I tried to explain to him that he had been fooled by a wolf in sheeps clothing!

825477980[/snapback]

Does/should a wrestler's style dictate a ref's judgement?

Does/should a wrestler's style dictate a ref's judgement?

825477987[/snapback]

It shouldn't. The casebook this year, as well as the rulebook and the state official/coaches meeting made reference to the fact that playing the line is considered not wrestling aggressively, and is a means of stalling. Hence, it should be penalized firmly and immediately. "Both wrestlers must make an attempt to stay inbounds... "

Situation: 3rd period, wrestler A is up by 1 with 20 seconds left in match. Wrestlers went out of bounds and must restart at center of mat. Wrestler A is on bottom, stands-up trys to "cut-out" of the stand-up, in the process, he goes out of bounds, while wrestler B is trying to keep him from escaping. Should a stalling/fleeing the mat call be made here?

I have seen this call and situation numerous times, particularly in tournaments. Each time, one of the wrestlers is called for stalling or fleeing the mat. Usually, this call is made very late in a match, and ultimately is a decision maker.

If it is deliberate, make the call. If it is questionable, give it a warning call. Too many matches each year are left up to the judgement of ref's, which you best not question for fear of losing a team point, no matter how professional or polite you may be with you approach.

Clint is correct, stalling is different than fleeing (technical violation-no warning) A good example of fleeing is A has a single leg on B in the middle of the mat and B starts hopping towards the line. When he gets to the line, he turns and tries to kick out of the single leg that A has on him. He deliberately went to the edge and then tried his mule kick. Now that same situation except the A's single leg is obtained near the line. B turns and tries to kick out and the action takes him out of bounds. No fleeing call. The reasoning is that he had nowhere else to go. The action took him out vs. him taking the action to the edge before attempting the kick out.

Confusing isn't it? That's called judgement and it takes time to get the experience to know the difference.

RCpat.....

It doesn't matter how professional or cordial a coach is when they go to question a call. The rule book is clear on this procedure. If you go to the table to argue, discuss or question a call one of two things will happen. The ref will agree that he misapplied the rule and change his call or the coach will be penalized for misconduct (1st offense is a warning, 2nd offense is a team point, 3rd is ejection)

Good officials don't mind being taken to the table, but unless they agree that they have misapplied a rule the coach should expect some type of penalty.

Of course, clarification of the score or asking "Did you give 2 or 3 backpoints" is not considered questioning judgement and is usually given a quick answer and wrestling continues. If the coach wants to argue after the explanation, then you can expect some type of penalty.

Hope this helps.

Mr Abbott, I understand penalty/warning difference. Which is actually my point. If it is questionable in the ref's mind, he should call stalling. If it is blatant, he should call fleeing. You being a ref yourself can probably answer this question as well as anyone. Why is this call made, the majority of the time, in the 3rd period with seconds left? Same with most stalling calls. They are mostly called in the 3rd period of a match. We have all seen forms of stalling in the 1st and 2nd periods, that aren't called until the 3rd period. Too much judgement. Needs to be made more "black & white".