Brandon Wright

mr.giggliefly33

yes, i agree... 2 years, minimum, but that will never happen....

825486525[/snapback]

Why? The NBA is a business. I didn't have to go to college two years to apply for a job somewhere.

A friend of mine was a sportswriter in Ohio while the whole circus was going on. One of his colleagues supposedly asked LeBron if he would go to college, and his response was something very similar to "Why, so another group of old fat guys can get rich off of me?" LeBron belongs in the NBA right now. If I was starting a team from scratch, he is *THE* player I'd take.

Major college basketball and football aren't the pure sports so many of you are insinuating. Many, if not most, major colleges are in it for the money, not for the education process. If it was just for education, why sell tickets for $45? Why require a $500 donation just for the right to buy season tickets? Why sell out schedules for ESPN checks? Why pay coaches over a million bucks.

At any rate, the bottom line is this. It's Wright's right to choose, just like it was LeBron's right, Kwame Brown's right, and everybody else. Wright is good enough to make the decision and not have it made for him. I don't see anything but self-interested hypocrisy when people say that a player shouldn't go pro.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The_Siegel_Senior

Why? The NBA is a business. I didn't have to go to college two years to apply for a job somewhere.

A friend of mine was a sportswriter in Ohio while the whole circus was going on. One of his colleagues supposedly asked LeBron if he would go to college, and his response was something very similar to "Why, so another group of old fat guys can get rich off of me?" LeBron belongs in the NBA right now. If I was starting a team from scratch, he is *THE* player I'd take.

Major college basketball and football aren't the pure sports so many of you are insinuating. Many, if not most, major colleges are in it for the money, not for the education process. If it was just for education, why sell tickets for $45? Why require a $500 donation just for the right to buy season tickets? Why sell out schedules for ESPN checks? Why pay coaches over a million bucks.

At any rate, the bottom line is this. It's Wright's right to choose, just like it was LeBron's right, Kwame Brown's right, and everybody else. Wright is good enough to make the decision and not have it made for him. I don't see anything but self-interested hypocrisy when people say that a player shouldn't go pro.

825486722[/snapback]

Well you can have LeBron...give me Kevin Garnett or Tim Duncan...it is Brandons choice, you are right but I think college would help him some...he doesnt have to go the entire 4 years of it...do the Carmelo, go for one and win a National Championship and get a year of college under his belt...College is an amazing thing...Its a good time, you learn a lot from it-about the real world and how life really is...Selfish hypocrisy...I wouldnt go if i had the talent...But thats me, and I mean it...Getting an education would be more important to me than having millions of dollars...Just wait four years, be smarter, know more about the world, and then take the millions...

Come on guys!  Are you serious?? I don't hear anyone saying that baseball, tennis, hockey or any other sport that allows men, and that is what you are when you turn 18 years old, should ban players that have not gone to college for some period of time.  You can go to foreign lands to fight a war at 18 and loose your life, choose to be a garbage collector (without an education) at 18, or choose any other profession you want to.  This is a no-brainer! The NBA is no worse because of guys going straight out of high school.  If they are drafted, someone thinks they have the potential.  Is this any different than graduating from college with a degree and going on interviews for a job and some company hires you, (more than likely you don't have any hands on experience) because they think you have the potential?  I think not.  He has tons of potential, if he didn't I doubt very seriously that we would even be having this conversation.  Dare I say that many people do not like it that so many high schoolers are jumping to the NBA because of the color of their skin?  I don't hear the same comments about kids going straight to the armed forces or the countless number of drop outs before they even finish high school.  Where is all of the concern then?  Why does it seem that it is a major event when a pretty good kid who loves the GAME and has been blessed to play a GAME and make millions chooses to take that route at 18 years of age.  Think about it.

825485981[/snapback]

You make a great point but think about this only in athletic do you go to college and practice your craft every single day before getting paid to do it, for example teachers dont teach every day for four years of college before jumping into a school system, and at the same time it is hard to compare a career where you work 9 to 5 to a sport that kids play, that extra practice in college will not hurt you going into the nba. Now all of these comparison to Lebron James... lets remember Lebron was 6'8 245 coming out of high school he was already better than half of the players in the NBA before ever putting on a uniform

Guest The_Siegel_Senior
You make a great point but think about this only in athletic do you go to college and practice your craft every single day before getting paid to do it, for example teachers dont teach every day for four years of college before jumping into a school system, and at the same time it is hard to compare a career where you work 9 to 5 to a sport that kids play, that extra practice in college will not hurt you going into the nba. Now all of these comparison to Lebron James... lets remember Lebron was 6'8 245 coming out of high school he was already better than half of the players in the NBA before ever putting on a uniform

825486806[/snapback]

...and he would have been better than 3/4 entering the NBA if he went to college...had more experience against better competition...dont get me wrong he is still holding his own, but he will never have what Carmelo has...

Siegel[/url]_Senior' date='Dec 16 2004 - 08:15 AM']...and he would have been better than 3/4 entering the NBA if he went to college...had more experience against better competition...dont get me wrong he is still holding his own, but he will never have what Carmelo has...

825486813[/snapback]

Which one has been the better pro? I'll give you a hint, he plays about a mile from Lake Erie 41 times a year.

Siegel[/url]_Senior' date='Dec 16 2004 - 06:55 AM']Well you can have LeBron...give me Kevin Garnett or Tim Duncan...it is Brandons choice, you are right but I think college would help him some...he doesnt have to go the entire 4 years of it...do the Carmelo, go for one and win a National Championship and get a year of college under his belt...College is an amazing thing...Its a good time, you learn a lot from it-about the real world and how life really is...Selfish hypocrisy...I wouldnt go if i had the talent...But thats me, and I mean it...Getting an education would be more important to me than having millions of dollars...Just wait four years, be smarter, know more about the world, and then take the millions...

825486759[/snapback]

But that's the thing. It's not a choice between getting an education and playing pro basketball. I went to a private school that would probably cost about $18k a year now. With a lottery-pick contract, you could do that and not even notice the money is gone. Not to mention going someplace else cheaper. I'd choose to get an education *AND* have millions of dollars.

And I think you misread what I said a minute ago. If I wanted to win this year, I'd go with KG or Duncan. If I wanted to build a franchise from scratch, it's LeBron.