Harding Academy

Indian

Goodpasture is in a metro area, whereas the schools you mentioned are not.  Goodpasture's immediate area has more talented athletes than can be found in most of those schools combined.  The fact that many of these athletes choose to attend Goodpasture doesn't mean the Cougars recruit.  They're just in a more talented area.

825491968[/snapback]

Brad Cobb, Michael McGee, Eric Diaz, Danny Pully,Justin Sturdavant,Corey Herbert and some kid named Hooper :D

Lets not leave off the basebal team !

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did we go from Harding Academy to Goodpasture?

825496579[/snapback]

Because STD is familiar with Goodpasture. How do u think a 350 student school produced more high level talent in a decade than any single public school that size in Tennessee has in its history? That's more really good players than a lot of 5A, AAA schools have produced ever, in a variety of sports. Not even talking about golf, tennis, sports private schools usually win easily.

Davey Smith, Will Healy, Matt Hale, I count three. And Tusculum could beat a lot of 1-AA teams. You had one 1-A talent, he just didn't blossom evidently until he got to Tusculum (lineman, forget his name but you know who I mean).

825491896[/snapback]

Indian,

Those 3 guys signed 1aa. Davey and Matt at UTC (which isn't the best in 1aa) and Will at some 1aa school in Virginia (Southwest Virginia?? can't remember...). Tusculum is div2 and the player you are talking about was Alan Dunn. He continued to grow in college...but we are talking about high school right? He was really good in high school but not D1...no D1 school offered. He grew another 2 or 3 inches in college and put on about 75 pounds. Now he is a monster...in high school he was just a big kid who had pretty good feet. Great kid though...

So my point remains. No D1a kid signed ever in Football (or in any sport as far as I know).

Goodpasture is in a metro area, whereas the schools you mentioned are not.  Goodpasture's immediate area has more talented athletes than can be found in most of those schools combined.  The fact that many of these athletes choose to attend Goodpasture doesn't mean the Cougars recruit.  They're just in a more talented area.

825491968[/snapback]

Bingo...that's been the argument all along. I totally agree. :lol: FRA...DCA...Ezell...DL...Goodpasture are all in that talented area too. Advantage?

Absolutely.

We have plenty of good players in Clarksville, but they are not falling over themselves to get into Clarksville Academy. Three things are keeping them away 1. tuition costs 2. entrance requirements 3. football program that is in the rebuilding stage.

The talent in Clarksville is already spread pretty thin and there is talk of building another high school in a couple of years.

Indian,

Those 3 guys signed 1aa.  Davey and Matt at UTC (which isn't the best in 1aa) and Will at some 1aa school in Virginia (Southwest Virginia??  can't remember...).  Tusculum is div2 and the player you are talking about was Alan Dunn.  He continued to grow in college...but we are talking about high school right?    He was really good in high school but not D1...no D1 school offered.  He grew another 2 or 3 inches in college and put on about 75 pounds.  Now he is a monster...in high school he was just a big kid who had pretty good feet.  Great kid though...

So my point remains.  No D1a kid signed ever in Football (or in any sport as far as I know).

825498913[/snapback]

Healy is at Richmond. I meant 3 have signed 1-AA when you mentioned two. UT-C though not successful recently is still 1-AA, you're downgrading your players when you say those signings don't mean much. I still say signing at Tusculum is better than quite a few 1-AA programs. 15 football signings in 26 seasons is better than a lot of schools, 1A through 5A, especially the 1A publics. As for no Division I players in any sport, did you forget softball?

Allright guys I have something to add into this conversation. Not sure how many of you posting replies about Harding Academy actually know much about it because it seems that one huge point has been severely overlooked in any discussions involving the good folks at Harding. Harding's school population is deeply focused on their religious perspecitve. While this can be argued about many private schools I think Harding stands out in this respect. An easy way to see this is to look at the percentage of their students who go on to continue their education at Harding University. While I do not know the exact percentage I know it is a large amount for a graduating class to attend one university in the way that consistently occurs at Harding. Another way is to look at the number of students who begin their education at Harding and continue within that school system until high school graduation. Some of the students don't always excel in the classroom but the fact that they remain at Harding speaks wonders of the atmosphere and attitude of the leaders at Harding. Harding is an excellent school where they focus on the total individual and of course some students to better in the academic area than others but I assure you that every student at Harding understands hardwork and all of the other values that the Academy tries to teach its students.

On a personal note I have many friends who went to Harding at varying ages, I practiced with Harding and competed against them in high school, and contine to coach with and against Harding at levels that range from grade school to high school now and I always have had and will continue to have respect for their programs both athletically and academically. Not only that but I continue to study and compete with Harding graduates at higher institutes of learning and have continued to enjoy their company there as well.

I have never attended a sporting event agsint Harding where they did not ask the opposing team (whether based out of a religious school or not) to join them in prayer after the competition. THis is true of defeats,wins, blowouts, or buzzer beaters. Not only that but they have never taken offense if an individual or team declined their invitation and have always thanked anyone who joined them in prayer.

Please consider these things which you should know about Harding before casting a negative light upon the accomplishments of their school or any individual who attends there as I feel assured that they would not do the same to you.